What comes after Dropbox?

Old March 27th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default What comes after Dropbox?

I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

Eric Stevens
Old March 28th 17, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-27 22:49:48 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

Dropbox has changed quite a number of things lately. It seems they are
trying to get rid of us freeloaders.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

Are you refering to how your shots are rendered or how the images of
other posters appear to you?

I still find it workable, but it is not what it once was.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7388dxil5rray8w/_DSF4233.jpg

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

I have tried Box which seems like a bit of a kludge, and I haven't used
it that much.
Then there is Google Drive and/or Amazon Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/xcuNA8L8Hy0ObKQzrHUyGMXLY4i3KhEeEQEa56v9mi8

would consider the one which you are already paying for, the 20GB
provided in Adobe CC.
Folder:
https://adobe.ly/1AUzQAS
....or individual pix:
https://adobe.ly/1BZbwvX

Savageduck

Old March 28th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-27 22:49:48 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

....or if you also use LR with the Adobe Mobile you can do this:
https://adobe.ly/2n7eM97

Savageduck

Old March 28th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:49:48 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

Flickr is really all I've tried, but it seems good to me. I like that
a mouse click or two in LR gets the photos onto the site, processed
and sized exactly the way I want, and it will put them into the
correct, or new, album. The paid version is cheap enough that I can't
even remember the cost.
Old March 28th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

There is also Smugmug.

Savageduck

Old March 28th 17, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 03/27/2017 05:49 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

Dropbox works fine for me but some folks say it takes a while for the
images to load
Old March 28th 17, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

They're not in the LR list of publish services, so I would have to put
some actual effort into getting the photos to that site. I am lazy.
And with Flickr, after I upload, it's also a no-brainer to copy the
link to that album so I can share. No-brainers are a very good fit for
me...
Old March 28th 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually Smugmug is right there, ready to be used.
All you have to do is go to the bottom of the "Publishing Services"
panel and click on "Find More Services Online". There you will find all
sorts of services for fee and free. On page #3 you will find the free
"Official Smugmug Publish Plugin". Install it and restart LR and it is
as easy to use as the Flickr publish plugin. Another no-brainer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcnubdqh1n46kix/screenshot_27.png

Savageduck

Old March 28th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

I see. I looked there once before, but this time I selected LR, and
then I typed "publish" into the search box, and that narrowed things
down enough to actually find things.
Old March 28th 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:26:33 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-03-27 22:49:48 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

Dropbox has changed quite a number of things lately. It seems they are
trying to get rid of us freeloaders.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

Are you refering to how your shots are rendered or how the images of
other posters appear to you?

How my shots are rendered via Dropbox. I always check before posting.

I still find it workable, but it is not what it once was.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7388dxil5rray8w/_DSF4233.jpg

That one looks OK.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

I have tried Box which seems like a bit of a kludge, and I haven't used
it that much.
Then there is Google Drive and/or Amazon Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/xcuNA8L8Hy0ObKQzrHUyGMXLY4i3KhEeEQEa56v9mi8

would consider the one which you are already paying for, the 20GB
provided in Adobe CC.
Folder:
https://adobe.ly/1AUzQAS
...or individual pix:
https://adobe.ly/1BZbwvX

I'm aware of those but I thought you had tried them and found them
slow.

Eric Stevens