Nikon D70s and Tamron 90mm 2.5

Old April 29th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Denny B

Default Nikon D70s and Tamron 90mm 2.5

Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

Thank you in advance.
Denny B
Old April 29th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Denny B" wrote in message
Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

Thank you in advance.
Denny B

If there is or ever has been such an adapter, then the lens would operate
just like an AI-S lens. The fine manual spells out all of the limitations
of such a lens.

Jim

Old April 29th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Denny B

Jim wrote:
"Denny B" wrote in message
Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

Thank you in advance.
Denny B

If there is or ever has been such an adapter, then the lens would operate
just like an AI-S lens. The fine manual spells out all of the limitations
of such a lens.

Jim

With 35 mm film cameras when you purchased
a Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens you got the adapter
which was a seperate part for whatever make
of camera body you had. Nikon,Cannon, Pentax etc.

Denny B
Old April 29th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"Denny B" wrote in message news:iWSYh.7879$Dq6.42@edtnps82...

Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

B&H used to sell Adaptall 2 Tamron-Nikon AIS
mounts for around $25. With it, the lens will mount
and operate properly (except for AF and metering
and auto-exposure modes), as if it were an MF AI
Nikkor. If you use TTL flash in your macro work,
exposure is also taken care of...
--
David Ruether

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

Old April 29th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

David Ruether wrote:
"Denny B" wrote in message news:iWSYh.7879$Dq6.42@edtnps82...

Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

B&H used to sell Adaptall 2 Tamron-Nikon AIS
mounts for around $25. With it, the lens will mount
and operate properly (except for AF and metering
and auto-exposure modes), as if it were an MF AI
Nikkor. If you use TTL flash in your macro work,
exposure is also taken care of...

Nope, TTL flash is an "auto-exposure mode", and hence won't work on that
body with non-chipped lenses.

But a test shot or two and some examination of the histogram gives you
*much* more information anyway, so except for certain kinds of
fast-moving situations, no problem.
Old April 30th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message t...
David Ruether wrote:
"Denny B" wrote in message news:iWSYh.7879$Dq6.42@edtnps82...

Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

B&H used to sell Adaptall 2 Tamron-Nikon AIS
mounts for around $25. With it, the lens will mount
and operate properly (except for AF and metering
and auto-exposure modes), as if it were an MF AI
Nikkor. If you use TTL flash in your macro work,
exposure is also taken care of...

Nope, TTL flash is an "auto-exposure mode", and hence won't work on that body with non-chipped lenses.

But a test shot or two and some examination of the histogram gives you *much* more information anyway, so except for certain kinds
of fast-moving situations, no problem.

Then things have really changed (not for the better...)
with digital bodies. So, how 'bout using the flash in
auto mode, inputing the actual (or calculated, for
macro) f-stop on the flash...? ;-) This bypasses the
ambient light exposure entirely, assuming that is set
far enough under the flash exposure (and one can
take the look of flash...;-).

Old April 30th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Apr 28, 9:55 pm, Denny B wrote:
Is it possible to use my Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens
on a Nikon D70s digital body, if I can find a Nikon adapter
ring for the Tamron lens.

Previously I used the Tamron lens on my
Pentax 35mm film bodies.

Thank you in advance.
Denny B

I have a D70 and a Tamron 90 f2.5 and it works fine, just no
metering, and manual flash. The only down side is the lens only goes
to 1:2 magnification and you need an extension tube to get 1:1. You
have to take the mount off the lens connect the extension tube and
place the mount on the tube, unless you bought a Nikon mount for both,
kind of awkward. It might be better with the Nikor extension tube for
the 105. Very nice lens though, meters on my D200.

Tom