Comparison of film-processors

Old November 16th 05, 12:10 AM
mike

Default Comparison of film-processors

For development of 35 mm film, which generally produces more
satisfactory results: (1) Wal-Mart's "Fuji Premium Plus" developing
(not the in-store, but the send-away), or (2) K-Mart's "Kodak Perfect
Touch" developing (not the in-store, but the send-away)? I'm getting
ready to have 20-some rolls of 35mm color film developed that I shot on
my Olympus Stylus Epic camera. Thanks for the help!!

Old November 16th 05, 12:21 AM
Jerry L

It is your money.

Take two rolls into the Wal-mart and let the one-hour folks have a go
at it. Ask for the manager and see if he or she can monitor the
processing and printing.

Then send two rolls to the send-out service (sometimes they are
not-so-hot and in a hurry, but it is your film.)

See which does a better job.

(And you will save a great deal of time if you put the 'film' on a CD
at the time of processing. That way, should you want to use any of
your images on the Internet, the .jpg file in ready to use.)
= = =

Old November 16th 05, 01:19 AM
Jeremy

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
For development of 35 mm film, which generally produces more
satisfactory results: (1) Wal-Mart's "Fuji Premium Plus" developing
(not the in-store, but the send-away), or (2) K-Mart's "Kodak Perfect
Touch" developing (not the in-store, but the send-away)? I'm getting
ready to have 20-some rolls of 35mm color film developed that I shot on
my Olympus Stylus Epic camera. Thanks for the help!!

Neither one will be as good as prints that you yourself scanned from your
film. They are machine-made prints, and they are mass-produced.

I assume that you do not have a scanner, and can't do the job yourself. If
you want results that are closer to those of a custom lab, Dale Labs can be
counted upon to give you what are likely the best automated prints of all.
I believe that they are still the official photo processor for the NFL.
They video analyze every print and their Nikkor enlarging lenses cost in
excess of $10k each.

www.dalelabs.com

As for your inquiry about whether Perfect Touch or Fuji (Wal-Mart) is
"better," it is virtually impossible to say, because there are wide
variations in their quality depending upon which geographic location your
film is processed it. I have had terrible results with Wal-Mart here in
Philadelphia. Qualex (Kodak) has been much better, but lately their results
have not always been consistent (the lab that serves my area is in
Allentown, PA).

I'm afraid it's hit-or-miss. If you require a better end product, and you
are not in a position to edit the images yourself, go with Dale. They are
more expensive though.

Old November 16th 05, 01:30 AM
Matt Clara

"Jeremy" wrote in message

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
For development of 35 mm film, which generally produces more
satisfactory results: (1) Wal-Mart's "Fuji Premium Plus" developing
(not the in-store, but the send-away), or (2) K-Mart's "Kodak Perfect
Touch" developing (not the in-store, but the send-away)? I'm getting
ready to have 20-some rolls of 35mm color film developed that I shot on
my Olympus Stylus Epic camera. Thanks for the help!!

Neither one will be as good as prints that you yourself scanned from your
film. They are machine-made prints, and they are mass-produced.

That's often the case, but not necessarily true, unless a lot of correction
is required. My advice is to shop around. I've found my local Target has
dedicated staff who care about their results, and their results are
satisfactory to very good. They get all my snapshot business, but I dunk
all my own black and white and take my slide film to the pro lab.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 16th 05, 02:24 AM
Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com

wrote:
I've used Kodak Perfect Touch with less than happy results from the
prints. I don't thing they are printing over 300 dpi and their ides of
level adjustment seems to be on the line of Photoshop Auto Adjust. I now
just take film to any small lab and get negs done only for a couple of
bucks then scan the negs and play with them then print them myself or
have a pro lab do them for enlargements.

I agree with this. You might as well not have Wal Mart make your prints as
they will be good only for a toss into the trash. Find a local processer
get the film developed and then find someone to scan.

I have not tried Wal-Mart's Fugi simply becasue I refuse to shop there.
Be that as it may and me warped politial views. :/

Mine and your Political views must be similar. Still that Damn place gets
some of my money anyway as my wife shops there from time to time much to
ignoring my preaching about keeping dollars in America when we can. BTW, I
am Union

Old November 16th 05, 04:25 AM
DJ.

mike wrote:
For development of 35 mm film, which generally produces more
satisfactory results: (1) Wal-Mart's "Fuji Premium Plus" developing
(not the in-store, but the send-away), or (2) K-Mart's "Kodak Perfect
Touch" developing (not the in-store, but the send-away)? I'm getting
ready to have 20-some rolls of 35mm color film developed that I shot on
my Olympus Stylus Epic camera. Thanks for the help!!

I have never found any mini-lab to produce as well developed C41 film
with as broad a tonal range as when I do it myself using the "drift by"
method of temperature control. You can do this in the kitchen sink if
you have no other facilities and the results are worthwhile.

Another alternative is to buy a "Jobo" home processing machine. Both
methods are "daylight" sustainable - once you load the film into a
canister and you can use a "black bag" for that.

--
Douglas...
Old November 16th 05, 01:21 PM
no_name

wrote:

[...]

Well, there's always the one-hour at Wallgreens, CVC, Eckerds, Ritz
Camera and/or the independent one-hour guy at the local mall ...

There may even be a decent "pro" lab in your town. Call a couple of
photographers in the yellow pages and see if they will recommend someone.
Old November 16th 05, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

mike wrote:
For development of 35 mm film, which generally produces more
satisfactory results: (1) Wal-Mart's "Fuji Premium Plus" developing
(not the in-store, but the send-away),

Depends greatly on the particular Walmart. Some are good, some fair,
and some appear to give lessons in Creative Film Scratching 101 .

or (2) K-Mart's "Kodak Perfect
Touch" developing (not the in-store, but the send-away)? I'm getting
ready to have 20-some rolls of 35mm color film developed that I shot on
my Olympus Stylus Epic camera. Thanks for the help!!

Generally, more-skilled photographers are unhappy with Perfect Touch,
because they mess up (they would call it correct) exposure and
exacerbate (they would call it enhance) contrast. Since you are asking
in this forum, you might fall into the more-skilled category.

It's getting tough to find good labs nowadays, but you should ask locally.
For mail order, Dale Labs (Florida) and A&I (Los Angeles) are excellent.