QUESTION re location shoot

Old July 19th 03, 03:38 PM
Harriet

Default QUESTION re location shoot

I am many years shooting color nature photographs and making cards and
enlargements to sell wholesale and retail (privately and at shows). I was
approached twice last week at a craft fair asking if I would come to a
commercial property B&B and a private property to shoot for brochure shots
and the other just for vanity.
The question is, I have no idea how to charge for my time,
Do I charge per shot?
Do they get to keep the negs or just the prints?
Do they pay for the right to use the shots?
I probably would be more comfortable to only charge per useable shot since
ya know, everything is NOT really useable.

Your help in this situation is much appreciated.
Harriet.

Old July 21st 03, 04:18 AM
Frederick

"Harriet" wrote in message ...
I am many years shooting color nature photographs and making cards and
enlargements to sell wholesale and retail (privately and at shows). I was
approached twice last week at a craft fair asking if I would come to a
commercial property B&B and a private property to shoot for brochure shots
and the other just for vanity.
The question is, I have no idea how to charge for my time,
Do I charge per shot?
Do they get to keep the negs or just the prints?
Do they pay for the right to use the shots?
I probably would be more comfortable to only charge per useable shot since
ya know, everything is NOT really useable.

Your help in this situation is much appreciated.
Harriet.

This sort of work I just began doing myself. I too have been a nature
photographer who turned to portraits and weddings to make some money.
I just got into what I call "Promotional" photography which is exactly
what you are talking about.

When I shoot a business for use in their brochures and web sites, I
charge a flat fee of $45.00 per hour. All photographs I shoot during
that time I give to them. What I think might not be useable, may not
be what they think. I give them ALL photos and let them choose. I do
file the negatives in my studio/office, but never needed to pull them
out again. It is more for safe keeping. You can also charge a Half-day
rate and a full day rate too in an effort to cut costs.

My fees however are what I feel I am worth taking into account, my
experience, my time, and my expenses (some call expenses overhead).
You can charge what you wish. Other photographers in my area charge as
much as $110.00 per hour, but they are more experienced that I.

I don't charge per usable photo, and I don't charge a usage fee
depending on what they want to use it for. I charge them an hourly
rate and they are free to use the photos for what they wish. This
tends to get me repeat business whenever they need updated photos, or
new additions photographed.

Hope that helps a bit.

Frederick
Freelance Foto