Raw images and CS3

Old December 14th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Raw images and CS3

In article , ray
wrote:

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw files,
allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.

Bzzzzzzt!

Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as previously
advised.

that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
although he may need to update it to the latest version.
Old December 14th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Kevin wrote:
I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide to
transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
image files.

Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

--
Ray Fischer

Old December 14th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Ray Fischer" wrote in message
Kevin wrote:
I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide
transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
image files.

Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

--
Ray Fischer

Here's another wrinkle to the RAW file issue:

My wife shoots with a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and she wants to try using the RAW
files. She set the camera to store images in both RAW and JPEG, and uses
the Canon software to transfer files from the camera to the computer.

Somehow, during the file transfer, the RAW files get converted to JPEG so
that she ends up with two copies of the same file, in the same format.

Anyone know what's happening?

She's also tried to simply copy the files from the camera to a directory on
the computer using Windows Explorer. The same thing happens.

I haven't been able to figure out why the RAW's won't copy without being
converted.

We have Photoshop Elements installed, and she wants to see if RAW images
give a better print, but it's difficult to do when she can only work with
the RAW's on the camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 14th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:17:24 -0800, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various
formats.

Bzzzzzzt!

Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as
previously advised.

that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
although he may need to update it to the latest version.

OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.
Old December 14th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Ray Fischer" wrote in message

I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a guide
transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

There's nothing to "transfer". You just open the files like any other
image files.

Assuming that you have a legal copy of Photoshop it should be trivial.

Here's another wrinkle to the RAW file issue:

My wife shoots with a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and she wants to try using the RAW
files. She set the camera to store images in both RAW and JPEG, and uses
the Canon software to transfer files from the camera to the computer.

Somehow, during the file transfer, the RAW files get converted to JPEG so
that she ends up with two copies of the same file, in the same format.

Anyone know what's happening?

Shrug. I don't use Canon's software. It's unneeded.

She's also tried to simply copy the files from the camera to a directory on
the computer using Windows Explorer. The same thing happens.

I haven't been able to figure out why the RAW's won't copy without being
converted.

Don't use the camera?

We have Photoshop Elements installed, and she wants to see if RAW images
give a better print, but it's difficult to do when she can only work with
the RAW's on the camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Microsoft does some things very well. User interface design is not
one of those things. One of my pet peeves is software that screws
things up by being too clever.

--
Ray Fischer

Old December 14th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Yep...

That's my pet peeve as well...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 14th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various
formats.

Bzzzzzzt!

Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as
previously advised.

that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
although he may need to update it to the latest version.

OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.

how exactly is installing and learning a new program easier than
replacing a single file for one he already has?
Old December 14th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:02:24 -0800, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally
like a guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can
edit them.

You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various
formats.

Bzzzzzzt!

Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

Could still be easier than sorting through all the plug-ins as
previously advised.

that advice was wrong. there's only *one* camera raw plugin for cs3,
although he may need to update it to the latest version.

OK, so there is only one latest version of the raw plugin. That's much
easier then, than installing ufraw - NOT.

how exactly is installing and learning a new program easier than
replacing a single file for one he already has?

Well let me see. One file vs. one file - seems like a tossup to me. What's
to learn? You run it, you do it.
Old December 14th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Kevin wrote:
How do I open raw images in CS3 please?

Just double click them. If it complains about the wrong version get the
latest ACR download. If your computer opens in another program,
right-click open-with & chose photoshop.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old December 14th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jurgen[_4_]

John McWilliams wrote:
ray wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:11:20 +0000, Kevin wrote:

I am a relative novice to desktop manipulation and CS3

I have taken test RAW images with my Canon and would ideally like a
guide to transferring them to Photoshop so that I can edit them.

You might find it simpler to install ufraw. It will read the raw
files, allow you to do basic editing and save output in various formats.

Bzzzzzzt!

Wrong answer. Not for someone already using PS CS3.

Adobe ACR is not the be-all and end-all of RAW developers. In fact, it
is not very good at all with some types of RAW images. I'd say using ACR
for Canon DSLR files is going to guarantee minimised (if any) detail in
highlights and a color cast after it's finished UNLESS a skilled
operator creates a profile specifically for a particular camera. Not a
trivial task for a new user.

If the OP is using a Canon DSLR, he could do a lot worse than use
Canon's own "Digital Photo Professional" to develop the RAW files and
transfer them to Photoshop for processing using the "Open in Photoshop"
menu option of DPP.

If ufraw is half as good as it's dedicated users say, it too will have
an "open in Photoshop" option, just like many other RAW developers have,
some of which do not blur off light areas of the developed image to
conceal a bad development routine the way ACR does (with Canon images).