Blue Angels

Old May 25th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Blue Angels

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old May 25th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:52:13 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

We had the T-birds here last weekend. I caught the demo for the base
commander Thurs afternoon from a parking lot at work.
http://whfoto.net/Fotostream/2018_2/...//D5C_1925.jpg

Old May 26th 18, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

That's a great shot and great timing. I presume that fell out of a
burst of continuous high speed exposures.

The image is conspicuously noisy. Is this a severe crop from a long
focal length lens?

Eric Stevens
Old May 26th 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 25, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

That's a great shot and great timing. I presume that fell out of a
burst of continuous high speed exposures.

Agreed, it is a well timed capture, and a continuous burst can help.

The image is conspicuously noisy. Is this a severe crop from a long
focal length lens?

I suspect that the noise is due to a combination of PeterN effects starting
with unnecessarily high ISO when ISO 400-800 with a reasonably fast shutter
speed, perhaps in the range of 1/500-1/2000 would have been good enough to
make the capture without noise being generated. Then there is always
Peter’s severe crop, and degrading IQ with heavy JPEG compression.

Savageduck

Old May 26th 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

We had the T-birds here last weekend. I caught the demo for the base
commander Thurs afternoon from a parking lot at work.
http://whfoto.net/Fotostream/2018_2/...//D5C_1925.jpg

Here is one of the wildest maneuvers, obviously not the Blue Angels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lb78x0wobvteac/20180525_5631.jpg?dl=0

And then there were the Snow Birds

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k8fv0redifm05a/20180525_5553.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old May 26th 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

That's a great shot and great timing. I presume that fell out of a
burst of continuous high speed exposures.

Burst of three

The image is conspicuously noisy. Is this a severe crop from a long
focal length lens?

The image was cropped, but there should not have been much noise at ISO
1,000 with that camera. Other images taken at the same place, do not
seem to show that noise, even though they were cropped.

--
PeterN
Old May 26th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

Wow! What flying they do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkofhwr2k4ynw1g/20180525_5692.jpg?dl=0

That's a great shot and great timing. I presume that fell out of a
burst of continuous high speed exposures.

Agreed, it is a well timed capture, and a continuous burst can help.

The image is conspicuously noisy. Is this a severe crop from a long
focal length lens?

I suspect that the noise is due to a combination of PeterN effects starting
with unnecessarily high ISO when ISO 400-800 with a reasonably fast shutter
speed, perhaps in the range of 1/500-1/2000 would have been good enough to
make the capture without noise being generated. Then there is always
Peter’s severe crop, and degrading IQ with heavy JPEG compression.

Look at the other images from the show that I posted.

BTW here is a biplane with a jet assist. The crop is far more severe.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m1xpf1qt93az3h/20180525_5608.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old May 26th 18, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 25, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

That crop has some other issues, most noticible are CA artifacts in the sky,
mostly in the lower left, probably due to JPEG compression exacerbated by the
severe crop.

What explanation do you have for the noise in the Blue Angels shot?

If you were using your D500 (the perfect camera for an airshow) you should
have clean, sharp captures, and plenty of leeway for cropping. So I would
have to guess that the noise is due to high JPEG compression.

Savageduck

Old May 26th 18, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/26/2018 12:51 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 25, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

I did not bother to do any CA adjustments. Just thought that some might
be interested in the unusual plane.

What explanation do you have for the noise in the Blue Angels shot?

Don't know.

If you were using your D500 (the perfect camera for an airshow) you should
have clean, sharp captures, and plenty of leeway for cropping. So I would
have to guess that the noise is due to high JPEG compression.

Nope: The same image, the same compression. I applied a light dose of
Topaz DeNoise
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihjp4m942cnyqjt/20180525_5692_denoise.jpg?dl=0
--
PeterN
Old May 26th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 26, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps refering to the discoloration as CA was the wrong terminology, but
there is undoubtably a change in the hue in that part of the sky. As to the
cause I can now only speculate, is due to something in your PP workflow. As
to the aircraft in question, it is a modernized 1929 Waco Taperwing with an
added jet engine, and dubbed “The Screamin’ Sasquatch” to become an
airshow regular.

http://eaavintage.org/the-screamin-sasquatch/

What explanation do you have for the noise in the Blue Angels shot?

Don't know.

If you were using your D500 (the perfect camera for an airshow) you should
have clean, sharp captures, and plenty of leeway for cropping. So I would
have to guess that the noise is due to high JPEG compression.

Nope: The same image, the same compression. I applied a light dose of
Topaz DeNoise
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihjp4m942cnyqjt/20180525_5692_denoise.jpg?dl=0

Even with that there isn’t much improvement with regard to noise, which is
a pity as the image is a good capture. Something isn’t right.

Savageduck