Do you see any advantage of Pinta freeware over Paint.NET screenshot-editing?

Old February 22nd 18, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
ultred ragnusen

Default Do you see any advantage of Pinta freeware over Paint.NET screenshot-editing?

Paint.NET is arguably the best free screenshot editor on Windows simply
because it does best what you do most when screenshot editing, where Pinta
is supposedly its replacement - but I just tested Pinta - and I found it
unusable - so I simply ask if you see any advantage of Pinta freeware over
Paint.NET screenshot-editing?

Example of Paint.NET:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...spaintnet1.jpg

Example of Pinta:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...spaintnet2.jpg

For as long as I can remember, I've been using Paint.NET freeware, despite
the .NET requirement, for quick screenshot editing, simply because
Paint.NET does the key things you commonly perform on screenshots faster
and easier and more intuitively than any other of the free image editors.
Paint.NET = https://www.getpaint.net/download.html
Pinta = https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/releases

Many years ago I tried an MIT Pinta beta, where Pinta was supposedly the
Microsoft-funded replacement for Paint.NET, but the version I tried didn't
even have curved arrows, so I summarily dropped the endeavor.

However, recently I re-installed Windows on a new HDD so I decided to try
the latest Microsoft-funded MIT Pinta 1.6, which is supposedly the released
version of the successor to Paint.NET 4.0.21.

After a quick test, I concluded Pinta is (still) worthless, when compared
to Paint.NET for screenshot editing because Pinta (still) doesn't do the
most important common elements in screenshot editing that Paint.NET does
well.

POSITIONAL TEXTING:
Pinta is unable to drag text after you type it, which is just untenable in
a screenshot editor, whereas Paint.NET adds text intuitively, without need
for pre-defind bounding boxes and where you can intuitively change the
font, perhaps change the size and the indentation (which Pinta does also),
and then you can drag the just-typed text to its final location (which,
inexplicably, you can't do in Pinta).

CURVED ARROWING:
Curved arrowing is a critical feature for screenshot editing, which
Paint.NET does better and easier than any other known screenshot editor on
this planet (IMHO), but Pinta's curved-arrow GUI, although similar, is both
more powerful and yet, far more cumbersome than was Paint.NET ... so that's
a wash.

OPEN SHAPES:
Drawing and then subsequently modifying open shapes such as circles,
rectangles, elipses, etc., on the fly is a common screenshot-editing need,
where both Paint.NET and Pinta are more intuitive and fewer steps than most
screenshot editors, but Pinta, while having more powerful
editing-after-the-fact stretch handles, lost the ability to move the final
location of the drawn rectangle by not having a movable anchor, so that's a
loss for Pinta.

PASTE STRETCHING:
Pinta is unable to stretch selections, and, it puts copied selections in
completely arbitrary locations when pasting them, where with Paint.NET, you
select an area, control+c, control+v, and the selection is exactly where
you want it, and you get intuitive stretch handles to stretch the pasted
selection (which Pinta is completely unable to do) ... so that flaw alone
basically kills Pinta as a useful screenshot editor.

Given that Pinta doesn't (seem to) do the three most important things
needed for a screenshot editor, I simply ask others if they see any reason
for Pinta to be used at this stage of its development?

--
NOTE: If you know of any freeware screenshot editor that does ALL those key
requirements more intuitively than does Paint.NET, I'm all ears, as I hate
Old February 22nd 18, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Good Guy

On 22/02/2018 04:32, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Pai

Can you just **** off and stop spamming Windows 10 newsgroup.

Old February 22nd 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
ultred ragnusen

Good Guy wrote:

Can you just **** off and stop spamming Windows 10 newsgroup.

Pot, kettle, black.

Besides, it'e a relevant question and observation, with appropriate links
and well-annotated example screenshots.
Old February 22nd 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

"ultred ragnusen" wrote

| Good Guy wrote:
|
| Besides, it'e a relevant question and observation, with appropriate links
| and well-annotated example screenshots.

Just filter out "Good Guy". There's no reason
anyone should have to see his posts. By answering
him you share his mean-spirited, irrelevant posts
with those of us who wouldn't normally see them at
all.

I realize you don't personally care about .Net, but
since you're cross-posting to photo and freeware
groups, it's worth noting that Paint.Net always
requires the very latest .Net framework, which can be
an enormous hog of space if you don't have anything
else that needs it. (There's very little popular software
that does use .Net.)

I downloaded Pinta out of curiosity. The installer tried
to go online to download .Net4, without asking me.
Then it popped up a message that there were "errors"
and it had to quit. No explanation! Only the install log
told me it was trying to install .Net4, and only my
firewall told me it was trying to go online. So add faulty
installer to your negative assessment.

I've never tried Paint.Net because of the .Net
requirement, but also because for anyone who wants
a full-fledged graphic editor there are plenty of other
options. Paint Shop Pro 5 is online for free. The latest
version of PSP was about $50 last I checked. There's
GIMP if you absolutely won't spend money for software.

Though
the category of "screenshot software" seems to be
unique. I've never had a desire to draw a curved
arrow on anything, but I can see how that would be
helpful if you were doing something like posting images
on a website regularly.

Old February 22nd 18, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
ultred ragnusen

Mayayana wrote:

I realize you don't personally care about .Net, but
since you're cross-posting to photo and freeware
groups, it's worth noting that Paint.Net always
requires the very latest .Net framework, which can be
an enormous hog of space if you don't have anything
else that needs it. (There's very little popular software
that does use .Net.)

Hi Mayayana,
I agree with you that it's terrible that Paint.NET requires the abominable
..NET Framework, where, since this is a newly installed HDD, I watched what
the Paint.NET installer installed, and what Pinta installed, which is:

- Paint.NET - installed .NET Framework 4.7.1
- Pinta - .NET framework 2.12.22 & GtkSharp 2.12 (whatever that is)

What's odd is that both were installed on the same day this week, where one
installs a vastly different version of .NET Framework than the other.

My main question, since we all hate .NET Framework, is why don't /other/
freeware editors do the /simplest/ of things well? Why is it only Paint.NET
that can get texting, bounding boxes, arrowing, and stretch selections
right?

The split second someone tells me of software that does those 4 things
right (as long as it doesn't do the other easy stuff terribly), I'll ditch
Paint.NET. I swear!

1. Add text simply without need for bounding boxes & modify easily (e.g.,
change the size, font, etc., and location in the same steps).

2. Add an "open" bounding box shape that, like the text above, is
modifiable on the fly as you're editing, using anchors for position and
stretch points for shape.

3. Add an arrow that can curve around objects in the screenshot, and, as in
the above, has colors, thicknesses, dashes, arrows, and anchor points that
can be moved on the fly at the time of drawing the arrow.

4. Copy and paste a selection on a screenshot that pastes EXACTLY where you
copied it from (which is a requirement that is mandatory) so that you can
then stretch the edges to cover up extraneous clutter inevitable in any
screenshot, along with an anchor to move the pasted object if you so wish.

I ask only for a screenshot freeware editor that can do, at least, those
four things as easily and as intuitively as does Paint.NET, but I've
searched for decades (it seems) and found none.

Even Pinta, which is intended to be a modern copy of Paint.NET, fails on
all four of those requirements.

I downloaded Pinta out of curiosity. The installer tried
to go online to download .Net4, without asking me.

Yup. See above. Both Paint.NET and Pinta are Microsoft funded, where we all
suspect the entire goal is to put out a .NET Framework application that
people will use (despite the fact we hate that .NET crap).

The funny thing is that the old Paint.NET apparently uses a /newer/ .NET
framework, if the number system means anything sequential.

Then it popped up a message that there were "errors"
and it had to quit. No explanation! Only the install log
told me it was trying to install .Net4, and only my
firewall told me it was trying to go online. So add faulty
installer to your negative assessment.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that if we could get rid of these
Microsoft-funded freeware apps, we would.

But I can't find, in decades (it seems) of looking, a better app for
screenshot editing, with respect to the four fundamentals I've described
above.

Sadly, it seems only the MIT students who designed Paint.NET actually
/understood/ screenshot editing usability!

I've never tried Paint.Net because of the .Net
requirement, but also because for anyone who wants
a full-fledged graphic editor there are plenty of other
options.

No! Emphatically no!

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on all picture editing freeware, but
if you've ever tried to draw an open bounding box in The GIMP, you'll see
how terrible that GUI is compared to Paint.NET.

If you've ever tried to move and modify a selection in Irfanview, you'll
see how horrid Irfanview is at editing screenshots.

If you've ever tried to draw a curved arrow in ANY freeware editor other
than Paint.NET, you'll see, instantly, that only the Paint.NET MIT
developer knew how to do such simple things.

Please don't think I love only Paint.NET because I /hate/ .NET Framework.

I love Paint.NET because it does those four things the way they /should/ be
done, where it's astounding to me how difficult, in comparison, to do all
four in other programs.

Bear in mind, other programs do one or the other (especially texting) well,
but none do all four, where all four are a requirement in almost all
screenshot edits.

Paint Shop Pro 5 is online for free. The latest
version of PSP was about $50 last I checked.

Mayayana, I realize you're a coder and you're intelligent and that you know
software - but just listing a bunch of software isn't going to help anyone
because I've tried - for decades (it seems) to find something /better/ than
Paint.NET (because I hate .NET Framework).

Nobody should suggest any other freeware editor until they've /tried/ those
four things in Paint.NET that I posit are (a) done right and (b) needed in
almost all my screenshot edits.

There's
GIMP if you absolutely won't spend money for software.

See above. Just try to draw an open bounding box in The GIMP and you'll see
the hell it puts you through for something that is trivially simple to do
in Paint.NET.

Though
the category of "screenshot software" seems to be
unique.

Yours is a viable observation, which I appreciate.

I use those words specifically because I'm an old hand at this type of
editing where you don't usually need to draw bounding boxes, add text,
connect them with arrows, and cover selection areas with "photo editors".

Editing screenshots is completely different than editing photos, where the
similarities are enormous, I agree - but so are the innate differences.

I've never had a desire to draw a curved
arrow on anything, but I can see how that would be
helpful if you were doing something like posting images
on a website regularly.

The curvature of the arrow is so that you can follow the basic philosophy
of your edits not obscuring the inherent data of the screenshot. You can
draw straight arrows - but you often connect text to bounding boxes where
the text has to go on an empty space on the screenshot as does the arrow.

Of course, if you spend HOURS upon HOURS creating the initial screenshot,
you can likely organize the initial screenshot such that there is space for
the text and arrow that doesn't block the underlying images, but we're
talking basics here.

If I snap a screenshot of this note, for example, and I want to arrow and
text and put a box around your comments, the ability to curve the arrows is
essential for efficiency.

http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/screenshots.jpg
Old February 22nd 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

"ultred ragnusen" wrote

| My main question, since we all hate .NET Framework, is why don't /other/
| freeware editors do the /simplest/ of things well? Why is it only
Paint.NET
| that can get texting, bounding boxes, arrowing, and stretch selections
| right?

It might be partly due to the same reason that
you can get free samples of cheese and crackers
at the supermarket, but you rarely see free lobster
roll samples.... You're only willing to look at free so
you're reducing your options.

Any decent graphic editor gives you floating text.
I don't know about arrows, as I've never needed them.
You're looking for a very specific tool but what you're
looking at is graphic editors.

As far as .Net goes: My understanding is that
Paint.Net was originally designed by a student as a
demo of what .Net can do in terms of graphics.
The same things require more work when written
as native software. .Net is a wrapper around the
more abstruse Windows API.

Processed food is a pretty good analogy. The
other day I got some shrimp on sale and looked
online for a new shrimp recipe idea. Shrimp
alfredo... That looked interesting. What's the
recipe?..... 1 lb. shrimp, a bottle alfredo sauce....
That story is true. That was the recipe!

It's easy to make shrimp alfredo if you're just
dumping a bottle into a pan. That's why good
restaurants have 15 items on the menu and
bad restaurants have 150. The latter only need
to take something out of the freezer and
microwave it.

| Paint Shop Pro 5 is online for free. The latest
| version of PSP was about $50 last I checked.
|
| Mayayana, I realize you're a coder and you're intelligent and that you
know
| software - but just listing a bunch of software isn't going to help anyone
| because I've tried - for decades (it seems) to find something /better/
than
| Paint.NET (because I hate .NET Framework).

I'm not answering only for you. There are options
for graphic editors that are cheap or free. Not
everyone wants to draw arrows. Since this is a
public discussion it's a good chance to let people
know about options. At the same time, since PSP5
is free, even you might find it worth exploring....
even if not for arrow drawing.

| I use those words specifically because I'm an old hand at this type of
| editing where you don't usually need to draw bounding boxes, add text,
| connect them with arrows, and cover selection areas with "photo editors".

I've seen people talk about drawing arrows in the photo
group. Maybe the best approach, since you have very
specific needs, would be to ask in the photo and graphics
groups for exactly the 4 things you want. But it sounds
to me like an odd question. In effect you're saying that
Paint.Net is exactly what you want, and you want to
replace it. Not only that, but the replacement must be
free. Something about gift horses comes to mind.

Old February 22nd 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

It might be partly due to the same reason that
you can get free samples of cheese and crackers
at the supermarket, but you rarely see free lobster
roll samples.... You're only willing to look at free so
you're reducing your options.

you're going to the wrong markets.

Processed food is a pretty good analogy. The
other day I got some shrimp on sale and looked
online for a new shrimp recipe idea. Shrimp
alfredo... That looked interesting. What's the
recipe?..... 1 lb. shrimp, a bottle alfredo sauce....
That story is true. That was the recipe!

at least it's something you could manage.

It's easy to make shrimp alfredo if you're just
dumping a bottle into a pan. That's why good
restaurants have 15 items on the menu and
bad restaurants have 150. The latter only need
to take something out of the freezer and
microwave it.

the best restaurants don't have a menu.
Old February 22nd 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
ultred ragnusen

Mayayana wrote:

It might be partly due to the same reason that
you can get free samples of cheese and crackers
at the supermarket, but you rarely see free lobster
roll samples.... You're only willing to look at free so
you're reducing your options.

I don't think that statement is even close to true simply because of
obvious factors such as the mere fact that most payware editors won't be
"screenshot" editors - so they won't have optimized the screenshoting needs
of (a) texting (b) arrowing (c) bounding boxes, and (d) pasted selection
stretching as well as has Paint.NET.

Remember, a "photo" editor will have completely different basic needs than
a "screenshot" editor, where there are fewer payware screenshot editors, so
your statement likely doesn't hold water, unless you can find a screenshot
editor payware that does those four things as well as does Paint.NET.

Any decent graphic editor gives you floating text.

You need all four things, where "floating text" is the easiest and many
programs have it (and many don't), but if you pick just one thing it's like
you telling me that a one-legged race horse can win the race.

I don't know about arrows, as I've never needed them.
You're looking for a very specific tool but what you're
looking at is graphic editors.

They're all graphic editors but when you edit screenshots off a computer
screen, you need a different set of features than you need when you edit
photos taken from a camera.

Four features you need which are badly done with most graphic editors are
a. texting where you just type it, modify it, and move it.
b. bounding boxes where you just draw it, modify it, and move it.
c. arrowing where you just draw it, modify it, and move it.
d. pasted selections which go back EXACTLY where they came from (which is
critical), and which can be stretched and moved as needed.

It's amazing how few graphic editors make those tasks as simple as
Paint.NET does, where I posit that ZERO graphic editors do all four as
easily and intuitively as does Paint.NET.

Mind you, I would LOVE to replace paint.net (which is why I tried Pinta
again); but those four features are critical, where no other known graphic
editor does all four as well.

As far as .Net goes: My understanding is that
Paint.Net was originally designed by a student as a
demo of what .Net can do in terms of graphics.

I think Microsoft funded the project, and I think it was at MIT.

The same things require more work when written
as native software. .Net is a wrapper around the
more abstruse Windows API.

Yes. Understood.

Processed food is a pretty good analogy. The
other day I got some shrimp on sale and looked
online for a new shrimp recipe idea. Shrimp
alfredo... That looked interesting. What's the
recipe?..... 1 lb. shrimp, a bottle alfredo sauce....
That story is true. That was the recipe!

Good analogy.

I'm not answering only for you.

Good! I answer for everyone also, which is why you'll see me provide
details that most people would skip.

I also try to include a ng that is archived by Google so that the tribal
knowledge can be accessed in the future.
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware
http://tinyurl.com/rec-photo-digital
(unfortunately the Win10 ng is not archived)

There are options
for graphic editors that are cheap or free.

Not one free or payware graphics editor that I know of does the four basics
for screenshot editors as well as Paint.NET (and Lord knows, I hate
Paint.NET but I'm only looking at the functionality).

If there was an editor that did those four things as well as does
Paint.NET, I'd have known about it by now I would think since I've asked
the same question for decades (it seems).

Not everyone wants to draw arrows. Since this is a
public discussion it's a good chance to let people
know about options. At the same time, since PSP5
is free, even you might find it worth exploring....
even if not for arrow drawing.

I have installed scores of graphics editors over the years, including PSP
when it was freely available. I didn't find it any better for screenshot
editing than Paint.NET was, where I was hoping Pinta would have gotten
things right by now.

| I use those words specifically because I'm an old hand at this type of
| editing where you don't usually need to draw bounding boxes, add text,
| connect them with arrows, and cover selection areas with "photo editors".

I've seen people talk about drawing arrows in the photo
group.

I've asked in the past, probably once a year over the past fifteen years,
and nothing ever suggested works. On the Mac they are even less
knowledgeable than on Windows because all they seem to know on the Mac is
Adobe payware stuff.

You 'can' draw curved arrows, for example, on the mac, using the default
free editors - but they suck like you can't believe. (Try it.)

Maybe the best approach, since you have very
specific needs, would be to ask in the photo and graphics
groups for exactly the 4 things you want.

Um, this is a photo and graphics ng.

And besides, stop saying it's a 'very specific' need to text, bound,
select, and arrow. They are very /basic/ needs. Very common. Very basic.

If you think those four tasks are complex needs, then you have completely
missed the point because they're as basic a need as it gets for a graphics
editor.

Bear in mind things like "cropping" and "resizing" and "canvas additions"
and "layer imports" and "color changes" are also basic needs, but almost
all graphics editors get those basic needs right.

I'm only bringing up the four basic things that most (if not almost all)
graphics editors get wrong. If you've never used Paint.NET, then you will
have utterly no comprehension of what I'm talking about.

It's like the difference between driving a Yugo and driving a Corvette.

But it sounds
to me like an odd question. In effect you're saying that
Paint.Net is exactly what you want, and you want to
replace it. Not only that, but the replacement must be
free. Something about gift horses comes to mind.

No no no no.

I'm simply asking if anyone else has had the same observation that Pinta
isn't ready for prime time because it doesn't even do the basics well.

I'm also saying that I hate that Paint.NET uses Net Framework, but it's a
necessary evil because nothing out there does screenshot editing well, and
particularly I point out 4 very specific things that are done weell on
Paint.NET.

Your statement is wrong because you think I'm enamored only by HOW they're
done, where I agree, texting in, say Irfanview is an abomination compared
to Paint.NET and drawing open bounding boxes in The GIMP is an abomination
compared to how Paint.NET does it.

So those examples show that the HOW is important, since the HOW must be
simple, quick, and intuitive.

But it's also the CAN that I'm looking at, in that a program that can't
paste a selection EXACTLY on top of where it came from, simply introduces
error and extra steps for no advantage whatsoever.

Just try this in any grapics editor and then try it in Paint.NET.
1. Select an area of any desired shape and size
2. Control + c to copy it and control + v to paste it
3. If the resulting copy isn't EXACTLY on top of the original, it's
useless.

That's a simple test of efficient functionality.

Another simple test of efficient functionality is:
1. Start texting an area (just start typing)
2. Then modify that text (e.g., add line indents, change words, fonts).
3. Then move the text to a desired location and edit it some more

If the graphics editor can't do something as simple as that, it's useless.

Again, remember I hate Paint.NET's need for .NET Framework, but I have
looked for decades (it seems) for a better more functionally intuitive
graphics editor for the dozen or so basic steps, where those 4 steps, in
particular, are done better on Paint.NET than any other graphics editor
known.

If you don't understand that statement, you have to try those four things.
Old February 22nd 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

You 'can' draw curved arrows, for example, on the mac, using the default
free editors - but they suck like you can't believe. (Try it.)

nonsense.

*no* additional software is needed on a mac to take and edit screen
shots, including adding arrows, text or whatever else. none.

you've even been told how to do it, which you of course ignore, as you
do with everything that doesn't fit your ****ed up view of the world.
Old February 22nd 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

You 'can' draw curved arrows, for example, on the mac, using the default
free editors - but they suck like you can't believe. (Try it.)

nonsense.

You must have bought too many arguments this week because you say nonsense
above and then you agree below.

*no* additional software is needed on a mac to take and edit screen
shots, including adding arrows, text or whatever else. none.

Nobody said additional software was needed.

you've even been told how to do it, which you of course ignore, as you
do with everything that doesn't fit your ****ed up view of the world.

I know full well how to do it, and I wrote at the time and explained at the
time how atrocious it was, but I agreed at the time that it could be done.

So you must have simply bought too many arguments this week.