Lightroom Classic CC problem

Old February 6th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Lightroom Classic CC problem

"Savageduck" wrote

| I hate to be the ignorant Apple user in the room, but what is this Task
| Manager of which you talk?

It's not really a manager. It's a system applet designed
to be unaffected by software running at "user" level.
It can be invoked to see how much RAM is in use, CPU
usage, and to see a list of running processes, along
with their memory usage.

For general usage, Process Monitor from Sysinternals
is much better. It provides more info, including a list
of loaded libraries for each process. But TaskMon, as
it's often called, can be handy for killing a frozen program.

Old February 6th 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.

no problems with windows since 2000, you say?

That was two or three days ago. Even so, we don't yet know where the
problem arises.

windows.
Old February 6th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
|
| A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
| Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
| available.

You might find something out if there's a button
for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
then that might tell you something.

What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
is making it look like they've got everything under
control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
you think there's an army of people in lab coats
standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
your own good.

So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
for false information. There are a lot of people who
stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)

But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them. A
Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way. You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

Old February 6th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-02-06 15:48:50 +0000, Mayayana said:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
|
| A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
| Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
| available.

You might find something out if there's a button
for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
then that might tell you something.

What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
is making it look like they've got everything under
control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
you think there's an army of people in lab coats
standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
your own good.

So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
for false information. There are a lot of people who
stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)

But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them. A
Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way. You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
updates at their convenience.

But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

Windows?
--
teleportation kills

Old February 6th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

nonsense.

That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.

it's not remotely close to fact. it's complete bull****.

Win10 is not a stable system.

you don't run win10 so you're not in a position to comment.

win10 is actually very stable, much more than your beloved windows xp.

nothing is perfect and there will *always* be bugs, no matter what the
software is.

System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility.

then it's a good thing that's what happens.

microsoft deploys updates in a staggered fashion, first with insiders
who volunteer to test upcoming builds, then when it's stable, it's
released a subset of users known to have compatible hardware, and over
time, larger and larger groups of users so that any bumps along the way
can be quickly resolved before affecting users..

what they don't do is push untested updates to everyone.

Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them.

eric is *not* corporate it.

nor are you.

A Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way.

yes it does.

You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

nonsense.

With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

nonsense.

But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

it's clear where one problem is coming from.

you.
Old February 6th 18, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"android" wrote

| With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
| without getting paid for your trouble.
|
| True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
| without getting paid?

You'd be surprised. I know I am.
Even with Win10 there are "early adopters" who are
thrilled to get the latest version before anyone else
and to imagine they're getting a pat on the head.

Before Win10 there was no shortage of beta testers.
They feel important making bug reports. And if they
write software then beta testing gives them early access
to test their own product. Though that second reason
doesn't hold water. There's little benefit in testing on
a system that's still subject to change.

When I first started selling shareware online, Microsoft
found me quickly. I guess they check the software
download sites. I got two emails from them. Both
basically said, "Thank you for your interest in beta
testing. Please choose which products you would like
to test. If you decide not to be a beta tester you
will probably at least want to consider buying a Technet
membership." (That was something like $2K/year for
free copies of Windows and Office, along with docs.)

I was amazed at the nerve, pretending that I'd
want to do their work for free AND subscribe to a
wildly overpriced support subscription. (It's the
software authors, after all, that gave Microsoft their
monopoly.) But over time I found that their email
was not really so outrageous. A lot of people really
want to be lackeys for Microsoft. Just like little kids
want to go with Dad to the store.

| If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
| to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
| for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
| updates at their convenience.

Win10 Pro users are also suckers in this. The
ability to defer updates is limited, and MS no longer
makes clear exactly what's in updates.

| But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
| that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
| or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
| know where the problem is coming from.
|
| Windows?

Windows. Printer drivers. Adobe software. Or 100
other things. I once wrote a program that kept closing
as soon as it started. I couldn't figure out why. It
turned out the problem was that I was enumerating printer
fonts at startup and if there was no printer connected
that caused a crash without error. The problem is not
always with the software that's crashing, and when it is
the cause may be unexpected.

That's why I suggest doing a search. Something like:

[printer model] crash lightroom windows 10

The relevant Adobe forum posts should show up
in the search, but so will discussions of the printer
model and Win10/printer issues. If it's a problem
for other people there's a good chance someone
already found the solution - or lack of it.

Old February 6th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
| without getting paid for your trouble.
|
| True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
| without getting paid?

You'd be surprised. I know I am.
Even with Win10 there are "early adopters" who are
thrilled to get the latest version before anyone else
and to imagine they're getting a pat on the head.

they're not working for microsoft.

Before Win10 there was no shortage of beta testers.

that's no different now.

They feel important making bug reports. And if they
write software then beta testing gives them early access
to test their own product. Though that second reason
doesn't hold water. There's little benefit in testing on
a system that's still subject to change.

false.

| But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
| that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
| or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
| know where the problem is coming from.
|
| Windows?

Windows. Printer drivers. Adobe software. Or 100
other things. I once wrote a program that kept closing
as soon as it started. I couldn't figure out why.

then you're not very good at writing or debugging software.

It turned out the problem was that I was enumerating printer
fonts at startup and if there was no printer connected
that caused a crash without error. The problem is not
always with the software that's crashing, and when it is
the cause may be unexpected.

in other words, your bug.
Old February 6th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| But you also have to remember that you really
| shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
| You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
| can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
| decides to zap you with their next test version that
| corporate customers don't have to put up with.
|
| nonsense.

Indeed it is. That's the first intelligent use of
that word I've seen you use, even if you didn't
mean to. But I'll give you credit, anyway.

| A Windows version or service pack was
| created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
| in version after version.... Only after months or
| even years of that was the final version released for
| IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
| works that way.
|
| yes it does.

As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're
talking about, but who cares, right? As long as you stick
to "nonsense", "bull****" and "yes it does", it doesn't really
matter what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there
are people here who may be misled because they fall
for your authoritative airs.

"On average, a release took about three years from inception to completion
but only about six to nine months of that time was spent developing "new"
code. The rest of the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
periods - each lasting a few months."

That quote is from a former Microsoft manager:

https://blog.usejournal.com/what-rea...gi=38e71fdf876

In other words, they'd work 6 months on, say, Win98.
Then they'd polish and test for 2 1/2 years. That was
Windows as a software platform. Windows 10 is "Windows
as a Service". From their point of view they're just posting
the latest service improvements and those just happen
to be running on your computer rather than on their server.

Don't take my word for it. Look up Windows as
a service. The idea is that they want you to provide
salable personal data and buy stuff. If you want to
do real work you should be doing that on Win7. (Which
is why Win10 has only just caught up with Win7 in
usage, 2 1/2 years after its release and despite it
being forced on people for free.... Yes, forced. There
were many people who were very surprised when
they clicked some seemingly harmless message and
ended up with a Win10 computer by the time the
dust settled.)

A look at Win10 version updates shows a fundamentally
different approach from the 3-year cycle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history

Major versions are being piped out every 6-9 months
while minor updates typically come out in the range
of 1 week to 1 month. That's the "service" idea. It's
not just monthly security patches. It's constant changes
to the product. But the problem is that it's not really
a service. A service would be something online that you
access with stable software on your computer. Windows
10, by contrast, is an unstable, constantly changing
product that's on your computer.

Old February 6th 18, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| But you also have to remember that you really
| shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
| You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
| can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
| decides to zap you with their next test version that
| corporate customers don't have to put up with.
|
| nonsense.

Indeed it is.

yep. it is, just like everything else you post.

That's the first intelligent use of
that word I've seen you use, even if you didn't
mean to. But I'll give you credit, anyway.

as well you should, however, you won't learn anything.

| A Windows version or service pack was
| created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
| in version after version.... Only after months or
| even years of that was the final version released for
| IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
| works that way.
|
| yes it does.

As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're
talking about,

yes i most certainly do know what i'm talking about.

win10 works exactly the same way.

microsoft has been working on the next version of win10 (and the
version *after* that) for quite a while.

windows insiders have been using and testing it for several months. i
don't remember when it was first available but it was around when fcu
came out.

it's expected to be released in a month or two to the first wave of
users, with most users getting it in the weeks and months that follow.

microsoft staggers the release so that any problems are caught early
and affect the fewest number of people. most of it has been ironed out
with insider builds, but as with any software, there are always bugs
that slip through.

it people can defer it if they want.

it people are also not relevant to this discussion since eric, you or
any of the other regulars in this newsgroup are not it people. they are
using their own personal systems and should always be running the most
up to date versions, if for no other reason, security.

but who cares, right? As long as you stick
to "nonsense", "bull****" and "yes it does", it doesn't really
matter what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there
are people here who may be misled because they fall
for your authoritative airs.

unfortunately, you continue to spew about windows 10 even though you
don't actually use it.

"On average, a release took about three years from inception to completion
but only about six to nine months of that time was spent developing "new"
code. The rest of the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
periods - each lasting a few months."

That quote is from a former Microsoft manager:

https://blog.usejournal.com/what-rea...nsiders-retros
pective-f713ee77c239?gi=38e71fdf876

you skipped the first sentence in that paragraph, intentionally
misleading readers.

here it is in its *entirety* :
By far the biggest problem with Windows releases, in my humble
opinion, was the length of each release. On average, a release took
about three years from inception to completion but only about six to
nine months of that time was spent developing łnew˛ code. The rest of
the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
periods ‹ each lasting a few months.

also,
The three year release cycle meant we rarely knew what the
competitive landscape and external ecosystem would look like when
we started a release.
The stark reality is that, at this point in its lifecycle, it took
roughly three years to get a major release of Windows out the door
and that was simply too slow for the fast moving market.

and this part in particular:
In short, what we thought we knew three or four years ago when we
planned a given OS release was laughably outdated and sometimes flat
out wrong when the product finally shipped. The best thing we could
have done was to enable incremental and friction-free delivery of new
cloud based services to an ever-simplifying device. Instead, we kept
adding features to an existing client-based monolithic system that
required many months of testing before each release, slowing us down
just when we needed to speed up. And, of course, we didnąt dare
remove old pieces of functionality which were needed in the name of
compatibility by applications already running on previous releases of
Windows.
Would we make different decisions today? Yup. Hindsight is 20/20. We
didnąt know then what we know now.

tl;dr the 3 year cycle was *bad*.

In other words, they'd work 6 months on, say, Win98.
Then they'd polish and test for 2 1/2 years. That was
Windows as a software platform. Windows 10 is "Windows
as a Service". From their point of view they're just posting
the latest service improvements and those just happen
to be running on your computer rather than on their server.

and they realized that wasn't a good strategy.

did you even read the article??

Don't take my word for it.

no worries there. i don't, nor does anyone else.

Look up Windows as
a service. The idea is that they want you to provide
salable personal data and buy stuff. If you want to
do real work you should be doing that on Win7.

offering products for sale does not affect anything, and could even be
useful for increasing productivity.

it also isn't an issue. i've yet to see a single ad in win10. not a
single one.

since win10 is more capable and more stable than win7, it's a *better*
choice for doing real work. this is particularly true for apps that
require win10 and won't run on earlier versions.

(Which
is why Win10 has only just caught up with Win7 in
usage, 2 1/2 years after its release and despite it
being forced on people for free.... Yes, forced.

nope. nothing was forced.

users had a choice to upgrade. many people did, since it was free.

some chose not to.

some activated the free upgrade and then backtracked so they could
continue with win7/8, knowing that one day they'll upgrade and they'd
have it for free.

all entirely the user's choice.

had it actually been forced, there would be nobody left running win7 or
8, which is not the case. therefore, it could not have been forced.

There
were many people who were very surprised when
they clicked some seemingly harmless message and
ended up with a Win10 computer by the time the
dust settled.)

microsoft apologized for pushing it a bit too hard, but in almost every
case, the user chose to upgrade.

A look at Win10 version updates shows a fundamentally
different approach from the 3-year cycle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history

Major versions are being piped out every 6-9 months
while minor updates typically come out in the range
of 1 week to 1 month. That's the "service" idea.

it's a much better idea than waiting 3 years for an update.

It's
not just monthly security patches.

those are almost daily, a bit annoying actually.

the monthly updates are much more than security patches, but at least
those occur on a known schedule.

you *don't* use win10 and shouldn't be commenting on it.

It's constant changes
to the product.

changes are not necessarily bad, and also included in the updates are
bug fixes (very important) and security patches (extremely important).

why would anyone *not* want improvements???

you still regularly use xp, so you're not in a position to comment.

But the problem is that it's not really
a service. A service would be something online that you
access with stable software on your computer. Windows
10, by contrast, is an unstable, constantly changing
product that's on your computer.

complete nonsense.

win10 is *very* stable and the 'changes' are relatively minor.
Old February 7th 18, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
something like:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
problem or have other people also experienced it?

W10 of course.

Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

--
PeterN