You can't even take pictures at a public city beach anymore?

Old August 29th 04, 02:59 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:16:54 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Defusing a situation by throwing away one's rights is a bad long-term
strategy.

It's not throwing away your rights, it is putting them aside for a
moment in the interest of peaceful settlement of an argument. It is a
choice, not a requirement.

Personally, that's what I would have done. I would not HAVE to show
him the pictures I was taking, but it is usually better than a fight.
Sometimes we have to try to be nice to people, and give them a chance
to see that they were wrong.

Let me tell you something I've learned over many years of being in
business. Instead of proving someone is wrong, or proving or
convincing them of a point of view, it is SO MUCH more effective to
help them see for themselves! When a person reaches a conclusion in
his/her own mind, he/she will more easily and happily welcome that
conclusion, since they realized it on their own, instead of having it
shoved down their throat.

So was he required to show him the pictures? Of course not. However,
in the interest of diplomacy, sometimes it is a good idea to take the
more peacful approach.

However, if the offender gets violent, the gloves come off.

---Atreju---
Old August 29th 04, 03:00 PM
Howard McCollister

"The Black Sheep" wrote in message

Move to Canada. I've been on Parliament Hill taking photos after
midnight, walking right up to the front door of Parliament, and the
only police attention I ever got was an RCMP officer nodding "good
evening" and another moving his car for me so it was out of my shot.

Uh huh. Until someone flies a plane into that Parliament building. Then
we'll see how close you get with your camera. Canadians are just as prone to
unreasoning paranoia as Americans.

HMc

Old August 29th 04, 03:03 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:37:00 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

I am sure you have heard about the guy who powered through the
intersection because he KNEW he had the right of way, and was killed by
someone who didn't give a damn about who had the right of way. If you
want to be 'dead right', go ahead, but trying to work your way out of a
threatening situation by giving a little and trying to be reasonable
makes a LOT more sense to me.

Absolutely.

Of course a fully loaded Glock 9mm would
also help.

Yes indeed.

---Atreju---
Old August 29th 04, 03:08 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:22:07 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

It's a cowardly way to live, if it requires giving up your rights.

Not everything is cowardly!

In order to live peacefully in society, we sometimes have to forego
what is literally our right, in favor of being peaceful to one
another. Of course he was not required to show the guy his pictures,
but as a choice, it could diffuse an ugly situation in a friendly way.

For example, I go stargazing in a public park at night. I have a
permit to be there, but sometimes the Park Patrol get antsy when they
see me there with a telescope, binoculars, etc. All I really HAVE to
do when questioned as to my reason for being there is show them the
permit and tell them to **** off. But is that the best thing to do? Of
course not. I always offer the cop to take a look in my telescope, and
enjoy the sights with me. I'm not required to be nice. I could show
them my permit and tell them to go away, but my choice to be nice
usually leads to a pleasant discussion of astronomy, and a pleasant
experience in someone's otherwise dull day.

---Atreju---
Old August 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:24:32 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

But then it's you filing the complaint. What complaint would it be?

Nobody's filing anything. If the guy wanted the cops called, you call
them. When (more like IF) they arrive, tell them "I called you on
behalf of this gentleman. He insists that I leave the beach because I
am taking pictures. Please explain to him that I have as much right to
be here as he does. And please explain to him that if he lays a hand
on me, as he has threatened to do, that you will arrest him." Just let
the cop explain to the guy that you have the right to be there, and if
he doesn't like it, HE can leave.

---Atreju---
Old August 29th 04, 03:14 PM
Atreju

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:29:10 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

It pains me to say this, but al-Jezeera is as legitimate a news channel
as Fox News.

Where is the pain, exactly? In your genitals or your under-developed
cerebral cortex?

---Atreju---
Old August 29th 04, 03:26 PM
Drifter

On 29 Aug 2004 09:00:17 -0500, "Howard McCollister"
wrote:

"The Black Sheep" wrote in message

Move to Canada. I've been on Parliament Hill taking photos after
midnight, walking right up to the front door of Parliament, and the
only police attention I ever got was an RCMP officer nodding "good
evening" and another moving his car for me so it was out of my shot.

Uh huh. Until someone flies a plane into that Parliament building. Then
we'll see how close you get with your camera. Canadians are just as prone to
unreasoning paranoia as Americans.

HMc

Well, so much for this thread.
Could we get back on topic, you know, photography.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old August 29th 04, 03:38 PM
Bruce Murphy

"Howard McCollister" writes:

"The Black Sheep" wrote in message

Move to Canada. I've been on Parliament Hill taking photos after
midnight, walking right up to the front door of Parliament, and the
only police attention I ever got was an RCMP officer nodding "good
evening" and another moving his car for me so it was out of my shot.

Uh huh. Until someone flies a plane into that Parliament building. Then
we'll see how close you get with your camera. Canadians are just as prone to
unreasoning paranoia as Americans.

But noone hates the canadians worth a whole plane. Maybe someone would
drop a moose onto it or something. A french-speaking moose, naturally