Panasonic TZ3, TZ4 or TZ5

Old August 20th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default Panasonic TZ3, TZ4 or TZ5

"Jack Torrence" room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk wrote in message
"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
"Jack Torrence" room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk wrote in message
"measekite" wrote in message

Jack Torrence wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

I have just given away my Panasonic FZ18 to my son as I was not
taking
it
out with me. So am looking at the TZ range, which will go in my
pocket, but
am confused as all three are on sale and the TZ3 seems very good but
should
I pay more and go for the TZ5. Why is it significantly more
expensive?
Then
there is the TZ4????????????

Ken

In that size I would take a look at the various Canons, Reviews say
the
color quality and basic image quality is better. Panasonic either has
more noise or does more processing and that spoils the end result.

If you do not need an optical viewfinder take a look at the SD990. It
has been claimed to have the best 3" LCD that is viewable in bright
daylight. I have not seen this but it was claimed in the reviews.

Well done for completely ignoring the OP's question and suggesting a
camera that doesn't even come anywhere close to having the features of
the Pana TZ range.

Features are nice but they take a back seat to the ultimate reason for
purchasing a camera. And that is picture quality. That is really where
it is at. If you want the best picture quality you may have to give up
some features unless without those features you would not get any photo
at all.

You prat. So to take wildlife pictures you'd chose a fixed focal length
camera over a 400mm zoom lens, if it produced better 'quality' pictures?

PS. Don't forget to recommend the use of genuine canon ink to print those
pics from the SD900.

If I may iterject in this argument

Just to redress the balance a bit, I've got various makes of "prosumer"
P&S digital cameras, including Panasonic and Canon, and while my
Panasonic
FZ5 has a superb Leica zoom lens, IS and many other great features, it
without doubt produces by far the worst images of any of my cameras, when
viewed at 100% on the screen, even the ISO 100 pictures are poor compared
to my other cameras. So yes Panasonic cameras are technically brilliant
with great features, but when it comes down to it, their pictures aren't
on a par with the best of the bunch. This isn't to say that I don't like
my FZ5, it still gets used a lot because of the excellent zoom range, but
it's only any good in brightly lit situations, and the pictures certainly
aren't good enough to stand up to much post processing.

So which camera would you suggest for me to consider as an alternative?

Ken, if you were considering the TZ range because of the lens then you don't
really have any alternatives unless you look at bigger bulkier cameras.

I like it because small enough to go in my pocket but not so small I need a
stylus to use the buttons. Also the 10x zoom, three inch LCD and that I have
been pleased with my FZ18 but which has proven to big to grab and take out.
I have been in a few camera shops and it seems to be the one being shown to
me but I am still open minded to anything matching my needs. To be fair two
of the shops suggested anything Canon as a first choice - but which as the
small ones are too small and the next size are bigger than the TZ range.

Getting really confused again ;-)

Old August 20th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

David J Taylor wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
[]
How does the special mode for overhead shots work?

I've not used it much myself, but I think it makes the LCD view
best from a low angle, rather than at right-angles to the
screen. It may increase the brightness as well.

Other than increasing brightness, I can't see anything that software
could do in this regard. How's software going to change the
physical makeup of the display?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Old August 20th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Blinky the Shark wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
[]
How does the special mode for overhead shots work?

I've not used it much myself, but I think it makes the LCD view
best from a low angle, rather than at right-angles to the
screen. It may increase the brightness as well.

Other than increasing brightness, I can't see anything that software
could do in this regard. How's software going to change the
physical makeup of the display?

I don't know the physics of it, Blinky, but I do know that on some LCDs
changing /some/ parameter could alter the viewing angle from which the
best view was obtained. Drive voltage, phase or something else, perhaps?
I'm hoping someone can explain.

Cheers,
David

Old August 20th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message m...
Blinky the Shark wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
[]
How does the special mode for overhead shots work?

I've not used it much myself, but I think it makes the LCD view
best from a low angle, rather than at right-angles to the
screen. It may increase the brightness as well.

Other than increasing brightness, I can't see anything that software
could do in this regard. How's software going to change the
physical makeup of the display?

I don't know the physics of it, Blinky, but I do know that on some LCDs
changing /some/ parameter could alter the viewing angle from which the
best view was obtained. Drive voltage, phase or something else, perhaps?
I'm hoping someone can explain.

Cheers,
David

Not sure of the technical side but it does work on my FZ18. I need to take
shots of buildings for work and when they (buildings) are uphill I hold the
camera as high as I can with this setting and even at an acute angle I can
see the picture on the LCD screen.

Ken

Old August 21st 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Torrence

"measekite" wrote in message

Jack Torrence wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

[...]

For the size, a 3" hi-res screen, and 10x zoom there isn't an alternative. The canons probably will take slightly better quality pics, but that doesn't mean the ones from the Panasonic wouldn't be extremely good and you don't get the 10x zoom with the canons or the 28mm wide end (which for me is the main reason for looking at Panasonics - come on canon pull your finger out).
Old August 21st 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"measekite" wrote in message

Jack Torrence wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

[...]

Yes after another moment of blind panic looking through DPreviews last
evening I need to stop worrying and just get one. I think ;-)

Old August 21st 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Torrence

"measekite" wrote in message

Jack Torrence wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

[...]

Bit the bullet. There is no perfect camera, they are all a compromise, either in features or image quality. For me i'd take the features over a slightly better image quality.
Old August 21st 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

Jack Torrence wrote:
[]
Bit the bullet. There is no perfect camera, they are all a
compromise, either in features or image quality. For me i'd take the
features over a slightly better image quality.

For a camera for the pocket, I do agree with you. I've had two "pocket"
cameras, and both have given me photos which I would not otherwise have
had. There's always going to be something better next year, so waiting
just loses you pictures!

Cheers,
David