Cameras - how cheap is China

Old October 16th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seaharted

Default Cameras - how cheap is China

I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?

Old October 16th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seaharted

On 16 Oct, 15:31, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
Hong Kong might ne a better bet, if you are in that area....
imho.......

On Oct 16, 3:29 am, Seaharted wrote:

I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?- Hide quoted text -

What would I expect to pay there, please?

Old October 16th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:21:33 -0000, Seaharted
wrote:

On 16 Oct, 15:31, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
Hong Kong might ne a better bet, if you are in that area....
imho.......

On Oct 16, 3:29 am, Seaharted wrote:

I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?- Hide quoted text -

What would I expect to pay there, please?

Why not check on Ebay .'Buy it now' section has
a lot of HongKong vendors.
Old October 16th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seaharted

wrote:
On 16 Oct, 15:31, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
Hong Kong might ne a better bet, if you are in that area....
imho.......

On Oct 16, 3:29 am, Seaharted wrote:

I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?- Hide quoted text -

What would I expect to pay there, please?

Why not check on Ebay .'Buy it now' section has
a lot of HongKong vendors.- Hide quoted text -

I was just hoping that someone might be able to direct me to "Krazy
Eddie's" or whatever for really good but relatively safe deals

Old October 16th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

wrote:
On 16 Oct, 15:31, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
Hong Kong might ne a better bet, if you are in that area....
imho.......
On Oct 16, 3:29 am, Seaharted wrote:
I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.
What could I expect to pay in Beijing?- Hide quoted text -
What would I expect to pay there, please?

Why not check on Ebay .'Buy it now' section has
a lot of HongKong vendors.- Hide quoted text -

I was just hoping that someone might be able to direct me to "Krazy
Eddie's" or whatever for really good but relatively safe deals

Through my travels I've concluded that in the Internet age everything is
everywhere and the global economy is fairly efficient, so there is
really nothing special to purchase by traveling, either in selection or
pricing.

YMMV.
Old October 17th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

wrote:
[...]

From what I've heard, Canadians and most Europeans might take issue

with the nothing special to be gained by purchasing elsewhere idea.
One thing is a fact: Canadian prices are often high enough to make it
worthwhile for Canadians to pick up photo gear in the U.S. and pay
legal taxes and duties. They still save money.

How long this state of affairs will last is another story.

Old October 17th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John A. Crabtree

Seaharted wrote in
oups.com:

I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?

You will be dissapointed. Prices all though Asia are not any cheaper than
in Western nations. Even in countries where much of the equipment is
made, you may find the price as much as 2 or 3 times higher than what you
are used to seeing on the shelves in your favorite local store.
Photography is a HUGE hobby in most of Asia and also a past time that is
considered 'elite.' As you may be aware price is determined by
willingness to pay more than any other factor.

Don't forget you will not get a warrantee on anything you purchase abroad
unless you bring the equipment back where you got it. If you consider the
warrantee of approx 10% value and the price of a plane ticket or courier,
you would be slightly crazy to buy anything of significant value outside
your own country.

On the other hand you can get a full 3 course meal and a couple beers for
equiv of a few USD and stay at a classy hotel for 50-100 ... so maybe buy
her a camera with the savings when you get back.
Old October 17th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seaharted

On 17 Oct, 04:20, "John A. Crabtree" wrote:
Seaharted wrote groups.com:

[...]

Sounds like good sense, thank you - but why only a couple of beers???

Old October 17th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Beladi Nasralla

On Oct 16, 6:29 pm, Seaharted wrote:
I'm going to China in December and my wife needs a new Canon Powershot
or Ixus 960 or similar. The going rate here is around £250 from Amazon
but is comes with the security of guarantees etc.

What could I expect to pay in Beijing?

I had been to China (and Beijing in particular). The rule of thumb is
that all brand-name stuff is more expensive then in the West. The non-
brand-name stuff is somewhat cheaper than a similar low-brand-name
stuff in the West... but probably you will not like buying it.