Quandary - DX or FX?

Old April 10th 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.

I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.

My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.

Appreciate any feedback.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old April 10th 13, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 10/04/2013 08:10, Nige Danton wrote:
[...]

My take is that weight is important. I once used (for a few minutes) an
FX camera (Nikon D800) with wide range zoom (28 - 300 mm). Compared to
my DX D5000 with 18-200 mm zoom it was /awfully/ heavy. Maybe that
doesn't bother you, though. I do see a trend towards smaller quality
cameras, although some folk say that the days of DX are numbered, but
I'm not convinced about that.

If your problem is low-light, check image stabilisation and shutter
speed. Allow the ISO to drift up a little. Are your shots with the
lens fully open no better than those from your P&S? Yes, full-frame
will be better in low-light than DX given the same lens f/number. For
my lowest light shots, I bought the 35 mm f/1.8 DX lens, and
photographed the northern lights hand-held. Yes, a tripod would have
been better, as would longer exposures, but from a moving ship?

http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2010/No...0435-05-a.html

I even managed to make a couple of short real-time videos:

http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2010/No...NorthernLights

and it amuses me that when you see the lights on TV, they are almost
never real-time videos, just speeded-up long exposure shots. That, with
all their heavy and expensive professional gear! G
--
Cheers,
David
Old April 10th 13, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Nige Danton wrote:
I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

Kit lenses are never the best. And no 5x zoom is
either.

Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.

Probably due to slow shutter speeds?

I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.

Given what you say below... Most macro lenses are FX
lenses, so that would probably not need to affect a
decision about a new camera body. Also note that DX is
not necessarily a disadvantage when doing macro work.

My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

If you are considering either 1) a move to an FX body,
*or* 2) a professional level camera body, *or* 3) a need
specifically for professional level lenses:

Buy professional level lenses regardless of which camera
you now use. Most if not all of Nikon's top quality
lenses are FX as opposed to DX.

So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.

If cost is not the issue, then functionality should be
the top priority. Given the camera you have is a pretty
good example of a DX body, I would put lenses at the top
of the list. But if you can swing it, buy an FX body
soon. For what you have described, the D4 would not be
as useful as a D800 or D600, but you haven't really said
what else you shoot.

I use both a D4 and a D800, and if I could only have one
it would be the D4. Despite that, 75% of what I do is
done with the D800 because it has more pixels. The D4
is far better for sports or PJ type work.

I would think that having either a D4 or a D800, plus
the D7000 as a second camera would be very functional.
I use a 24-120mm f/4 as a walk around lense, and
usually have either a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII or an 80-400mm
f/4.5-5.6 on the second camera. Depending on what your
work entails, something similar would give you a great
deal more versatility that what you have now.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 10th 13, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

First, try the no cost solution of either bumping the iso up and/or
trying the auto-iso function to allow you to do it with some
additional control. What shutter/f.l. combos are you shooting.
Old April 10th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 10 Apr 2013 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Nige Danton wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an
18-105 lens. Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a
decade of using digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with
D7000, but am finding the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light
(indoors without flash) and am thinking of buying a faster lens.

I have a D7000, and I've found that I can get acceptable to very good
results up to about ISO 1600, so try shooting at a higher ISO.

snip
My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

snip
Appreciate any feedback.

What is the ultimate destination of the pictures? If you're printing and
blowing up your pictures substantially, there might be some merit to an
FX camera. If you're going mainly to screen, and not taking small crops
out of the center of the image, DX should work fine.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old April 10th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
-september.
org, Nige Danton wrote:

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

increase the iso or buy a faster lens. the former is a *lot* less
expensive (as in free) than the latter, so try that first.

Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.

are they handheld? if so, that's probably camera shake. get a tripod or
monopod, or increase the iso so you can use a faster shutter speed.

another possibility is that you aren't post-processing them properly.

I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.

many options there.

My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

nothing you've said so far suggests an fx camera would solve your
problems.

also keep in mind you can buy fx lenses now in case you think you might
change to fx at some point in the future.

if you do switch to fx, your 18-105 would need to be replaced since
it's a dx lens, but it isn't an expensive lens so it doesn't matter
that much, and it would actually work on an fx camera, but with the fx
camera in crop mode.

So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.

spend more time learning the d7000.
Old April 10th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Anthony

"Nige Danton" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent photos can be taken with a DX camera when set up and used
properly. Having said that, with money as no object, I'd go FX.

Old April 10th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.04.10 03:10 , Nige Danton wrote:
[...]

There is nothing like getting more out of what you have in hand. The
more you strive to get more from it the more likely you are to find the
real limits of the DX camera.

If those are real barriers to your goals, then FX is next.

As David Taylor said, look at how the ISO range may benefit you,
stabilization (heck: have you tried a tripod), appropriate aperture and
so on (shoot a couple stops closed for more sharpness - sacrifice thin DOF).

Of course where purchasing is concerned, you can always mount FX lenses
to DX cameras so that if you do go the FX route one day nothing will
have been lost (I did exactly so before Sony finally came out with a FF
body). Of course such lenses are often more expensive.

A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of a
14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old April 10th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

On 4/10/2013 12:10 AM, Nige Danton wrote:
[...]

If you are able to afford the changeover then without question the FX is
the way to go. In any event, consider procuring FX type lenses in lieu
of DX type lenses. However, be aware that FX lenses being much larger
than DX lenses may interfere with using the cameras built-in flash. A
flash to seriously consider obtaining is the Nikon SB700. Yep, having a
couple or three of them won't hurt at all. Spaced in a suitable manner
one just might or could light-up a museum hall.

I suppose it may be of some interest to you as to what I use and am very
satisfied with using as working equipment set-ups, varying lenses as
needed at the time of photographing a scene.

I generally use a Nikon 17-35 f2.8 lens on my FX camera and a 24-120 f4
(full frame) lens on my DX camera, switching cameras as the lens befits
the scene I intend to capture. All my lenses, except one, are FX lenses.
The DX lens was a gift.

My overall suggestion would be to plan your procurement on eventually
obtaining an FX camera and/or getting into using FX lenses and support
equipment (whatever they may be). As in the case with using film of a
bygone era, bigger is better.

Old April 10th 13, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

On 4/10/2013 3:13 PM, nick c wrote:
Snip

I generally use a Nikon 17-35 f2.8 lens on my FX camera and a 24-120 f4
(full frame) lens on my DX camera, switching cameras as the lens befits
the scene I intend to capture. All my lenses, except one, are FX lenses.
The DX lens was a gift.

Correction:

Actually, I have two DX lenses. I bought a Nikon 18-55mm kit lens (kept
in another bag) for $60 to use on the beach, whenever I get to the
beach. If I ever drop it in the sand or in salt water, it's a gonner.
But for $60, well ..... (shrug)

Snip