Canon Scanner Problem

Old November 10th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default Canon Scanner Problem

I purchased a CanoScan 8600f scanner about a year ago, and I am very happy
with it. However, there seems to be no way to clean underneath the glass
bed. Over time, there are some spots that have accumulated on the underside
of the glass. The operators manual on the machine doesn't tell me how to
lift the glass, and Canon won't tell me how, either. Since the machine works
so well, I hesitate to bring it in for servicing just to clean the bottom
side of the glass. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Old November 10th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 11/10/2010 2:47 PM Bill Graham spake thus:

I purchased a CanoScan 8600f scanner about a year ago, and I am very happy
with it. However, there seems to be no way to clean underneath the glass
bed. Over time, there are some spots that have accumulated on the underside
of the glass. The operators manual on the machine doesn't tell me how to
lift the glass, and Canon won't tell me how, either. Since the machine works
so well, I hesitate to bring it in for servicing just to clean the bottom
side of the glass. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Yeah; figure out how to open it up. Can't be rocket surgery; there are
probably screws somewhere either on the top or bottom. Open the case,
clean the glass.

Old November 10th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 11/10/2010 2:47 PM Bill Graham spake thus:

I purchased a CanoScan 8600f scanner about a year ago, and I am very
happy with it. However, there seems to be no way to clean underneath the
glass bed. Over time, there are some spots that have accumulated on the
underside of the glass. The operators manual on the machine doesn't tell
me how to lift the glass, and Canon won't tell me how, either. Since the
machine works so well, I hesitate to bring it in for servicing just to
clean the bottom side of the glass. Does anyone out there have any
suggestions?

Yeah; figure out how to open it up. Can't be rocket surgery; there are
probably screws somewhere either on the top or bottom. Open the case,
clean the glass.

I just now got off the phone with the Canon Help service guy.....He told me
that these scanners are sealed at the factory, and there is no way for me to
get underneath the glass. He recommends that I bring it in for service. He
said they seal it up just so nothing will get beneath the glass. However,
about a month ago, I was scanning some music, and I got several sheets with
the shadow of a small beetle, about 3/16 inch long on 6 or 8 of them. That's
when I started getting interested in lifting the glass to clean underneath
it. The last couple of weeks, however, this bug has apparently disappeared,
and I am not going to bring the unit in for service when it is otherwise
working well, so I will just have to live with not cleaning beneath it, I
guess. The service guy suggested that the glass may be glued in place, and I
couldn't clean beneath it without damaging it.

Old November 10th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
GMAN[_12_]

http://www.fixya.com/support/t407194...ss_canon_8600f
Old November 10th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Graham"
wrote:
I purchased a CanoScan 8600f scanner about a year ago, and I am very happy
with it. However, there seems to be no way to clean underneath the glass
bed. Over time, there are some spots that have accumulated on the
underside
of the glass. The operators manual on the machine doesn't tell me how to
lift the glass, and Canon won't tell me how, either. Since the machine
works
so well, I hesitate to bring it in for servicing just to clean the bottom
side of the glass. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

http://www.fixya.com/support/t407194...ss_canon_8600f

Yeah....The Canon tech told me about the anti-glare treatment, too. But he
couldn't explain how the little beetle got inside the case. Especially after
over a year. (I have had the unit that long) Oh, well....the "bug" seems to
have gone away, and I will continue to use the machine until something else
comes up, and then, If I have to have it serviced for some other reason, I
will tell them about this.

Old November 11th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
GMAN[_12_]

In article , "Bill Graham" wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Graham"
wrote:
[...]

Did the beatle look like this? LOL!!

http://media.photobucket.
com/image/Ringo%20Starr/sakurasgrl100/RINGO%2520STARR/ringo_starr.jpg
Old November 11th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:47:56 -0800, "Bill Graham" wrote:

I purchased a CanoScan 8600f scanner about a year ago, and I am very happy
with it. However, there seems to be no way to clean underneath the glass
bed. Over time, there are some spots that have accumulated on the underside
of the glass. The operators manual on the machine doesn't tell me how to
lift the glass, and Canon won't tell me how, either. Since the machine works
so well, I hesitate to bring it in for servicing just to clean the bottom
side of the glass. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

How are you with a screwdriver?

I have a Canon 7000 series, and the glass was a terrible mess, not to mention I
also had a piece of crap in the sensor giving me a line on my scans...

Since I was going to toss it, I decided to give it a try to open it.

I found some hidden screws under the plastic cover for the operation buttons.
After that, I found that the top glass frame "popped off" with those little
plastic catch's, that you're supposed to squeeze or push or pull any way you
can... I found about 8 screws after I'd finished, they're everywhere! Even under
the cover hinges...

I also removed the piece of crap from the sensor, but the line remains, probably
because that sensor never saw light... but the line is less.

Now it's all back together better than new.

Just remember people hide screws under everything, feet being their favorite
choice!

Old November 12th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "Bill
Graham"
wrote:
[...]

No. He looked a bit more like George Harrison, except he was only 3/16 "
long.......

Old November 12th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

Yes.....I do know this, and I've searched for both screws and plastic
catches. But this one has the glass on the bottom unit, and not the door
which hinges at the rear and lifts up from the front. There are plastic
catches on the door for changing the white rubber piece that holds the copy
paper down to the glass, but the glass on the bottom doesn't seem to have
any way to free it and lift it. I know there must be some way to do it,
because that is the only way to get inside in order to service it. I just
don't have the courage to tear it apart like you did...:^) I worked for IBM
for ten years fixing office machinery back in the 60's so I know there has
to be a way to get into it, but we didn't have so much plastic in those
days, and they weren't so cleaver at hiding the access screws. Thanks for
your input.....

Old November 12th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

I couldn't find a Canoscan 7000 series....Are you sure it wasn't a Hewlit
Packard?