Windows 10. Horrible!

Old November 3rd 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

MS can't even make a decent phone.

actually, windows phone was reasonably good. the problem was that it
was too little, too late as well as mismanaged.
Old November 3rd 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

MS can't even make a decent phone.

actually, windows phone was reasonably good. the problem was that it
was too little, too late as well as mismanaged.

Well yes and canceled windows mobile to concentrate on the windows phone.

yep.

windows phone 7 completely abandoned existing windows mobile users and
developers. the 'upgrade' was to buy a new phone and new apps.

until windows phone 8, that is, which abandoned windows phone 7 users.
apps had to be rewritten too.

burning users *twice* is not a good long term strategy.
Old November 3rd 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/3/2017 11:35 AM, nospam wrote:

snip

burning users *twice* is not a good long term strategy.

Burning them even once is not a good long term strategy.

Old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

--
PeterN
Old November 3rd 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

burning users *twice* is not a good long term strategy.

Burning them even once is not a good long term strategy.

true, but not as bad as twice.

Old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

exactly.
Old November 3rd 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
about 14% but it varies depending on how you count them.

3.34% according to
https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...re.aspx?qprid=
10&qpcustomd=0
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 3rd 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Alfred Molon" wrote

| 3.34% according to
| https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...re.aspx?qprid=
| 10&qpcustomd=0

That's pretty good. There are almost as many Mac
users as XP. Though probably not. Many of us
XP users travel incognito as Win7. And of course
*a lot* of XP machines will be in business uses,
not connected online.

There are a lot of stat variations, though, depending
on whether you look at US or world and which monitor
you look at. Shopping sites are likely to be a little
higher in terms of Macs. Tech sites will be higher
for Windows. Victoria's Secret? Who knows.

Whisky-dave may think an iPad counts as a desktop.
Counting tablets would surely bring up the Apple count.
And of course counting phones would increase the Apple
count.

I saw an article awhile back about a gov't website.
I don't remember now which one it was, but they were
recording far more Win10 visitors on weekends than
on weekdays. They concluded that it was in line with
corporate moves: Business is avoiding Win10 but with
retail computers people don't have much choice.

Win10 was released in 7/15. That means it's more than
2/3 through the standard Windows lifecycle of 3 years.
Yet it's still way behind Win7, which came out in 2010.
Not to mention that Win10 has been offered as a free
upgrade to almost everyone. But if they get reasonable
and start offering to pay for making people see ads and
put up with spyware then I'd guess they could probably
get their share up, at least even with Win7. Well...
they might have to throw in 6 Ronco steak knives, too.
I might use it for a monthly payment plus free
kitchenware.

Old November 3rd 17, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Whisky-dave may think an iPad counts as a desktop.

unlike you, he's not that stupid.

Counting tablets would surely bring up the Apple count.
And of course counting phones would increase the Apple
count.

tablets and smartphones *are* computers (just smaller) and should
absolutely be counted, and not just ones made by apple either.

for many people, a tablet or smartphone is their main computer and in
some cases, their only computer.

the days of windows being dominant are *over*.

https://www.extremetech.com/g00/comp...ts-share-of-th
e-consumer-market-has-dropped-from-95-to-20-in-8-years
This chart says it all: From 2004 to 2012, Microsoft¹s share of the
consumer computing market has plummeted from 95% to 20%. For 20
years, thanks to the desktop PC, Microsoft enjoyed an almost complete
monopoly of consumer computing ‹ and yet today it is a minority stake
holder, languishing behind Google¹s 42% and Apple¹s 24%.

more charts:
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...55fc60/t/575b1
77e7da24f0a4fa34aa8/1465587612251/

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/inte...312final-12120
3181402-phpapp01/95/2012-kpcb-internet-trends-yearend-update-24-638.jpg
Old November 6th 17, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Looking at device shipments

Android 54.16%
iOS/macOS 12.37%
Windows 11.79%
Other 21.66%
OS Device Shipments, Gartner[21]

It's really not fair nor useful to compare mobile devices and tabs with
proper PCs.

PCs empower the GP while tabs 'n pads depower it. No solution at all for
those that want to do more than read webmail and communicate with HMHS
and such, sort of . Phones are gadgets on the side, useful on the go but
do not replace PCs...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 6th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
At work I'm still using a Mac from 2011 if this was a PC it'd be thrown out by now and a new one brought like the ones in the lab after about 2 years get replaced.
So yes we buy more PCs because we thrown more out per year as not being fit for purpose.

Well no. PCs are being replaced so often because they are so cheap.

See for instance this netbook with a 14" 1920x1080 IPS screen for 168
Euro:
https://direktkauf.idealo.de/portal/...538C4778CC7FE5
567B779D13AE3612?execution=e1s1

Thin & light, 0.95 Kg.

Probably sufficient for a wide range of purposes. You buy it, keep it
for 2-3 years, then buy a new one.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 6th 17, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

At work I'm still using a Mac from 2011 if this was a PC it'd be thrown out
by now and a new one brought like the ones in the lab after about 2 years
get replaced.
So yes we buy more PCs because we thrown more out per year as not being fit
for purpose.

Well no. PCs are being replaced so often because they are so cheap.

no, they're being replaced because they're junk and incapable of doing
the tasks people need to do. they bought on price, not whether it's the
best tool for the job.

a quality product would last longer and not need to repeatedly be
replaced, thereby being cheaper in the long run.

speaking of cheap, how's that disposable camera with it's plastic
de-centered lens working out for you?