More shooter harassment

Old July 19th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default More shooter harassment

OK, my turn. I was on Martha's Vineyard (MA, USA) for a bit, and while
there I stopped to shoot a picture of the ferry terminal building in Oak
Bluffs. While shooting the picture, an employee of the Steamship
Authority, the company who has a lock on transportation to and from the
island, ask "sir, what are you doing?" I replied that I was taking a
picture. She told me that "Homeland Security says that's illegal. Please
don't take pictures of the building." I replied, politely, that it
wasn't illegal and there are no laws against taking pictures of
anything. I asked her to quote me the name and number of the law I was
breaking. She said that her supervisor told her that this was illegal,
so I had to stop. I said nonsense. She and her supervisor are dead
wrong, and that she had no right to tell me what I can, or can't shoot,
especially since I was standing on a public crosswalk. She called a cop
over, who pretty much verified everything I told her. She asked for my
name, address, everything, but I refused. The cop sided with me. Now she
was ****ed. She summoned someone from inside the building, he came out,
they talked for a second, and they hustled her inside where she couldn't
bother anyone else. The cop just shook his head, the SSA employee
apologized, I told them "no problem" and we all went our separate ways.

I'm guessing she was just a moron. I've been riding that ferry for 30
years, and have shot all manner of pictures on and off the boats, and
not once have I ever been approached or told I can't shoot pictures.
People shoot pictures on and around the ships all the time. I can't
figure out why she singled me out.
Old July 19th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:56:06 -0400, Bowser wrote:

[...]

Moron, though? She was sent out by her supervisor who told her it was
illegal. If anyone's the moron, the supervisor is. No balls, either,
since he or she wouldn't come out.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 19th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/19/11 11:56 AM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

[...]

Maybe she was "hitting" on ya?!?

Old July 19th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 7/19/2011 2:38 PM, George Kerby wrote:

On 7/19/11 11:56 AM, in article
,
wrote:

[...]

Very, very doubtful...
Old July 19th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 7/19/2011 2:19 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:56:06 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. But when she was told by the cop that she was wrong, she
persisted. I doubt anyone told her shooting pics was illegal, I think
she was acting on her own.

Old July 19th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 7/19/2011 12:56 PM, Bowser wrote:
[...]

Silly slovenly steamship employee with a superior slinky attitude.

--
Peter
Old July 19th 11, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old July 19th 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 7/19/2011 2:58 PM, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Couldn't resist, could you?
Old July 19th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
finish, if it were that important.

Old July 19th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/19/11 1:39 PM, in article
, "Bowser"

wrote:

[...]

Well, if you happened to photograph her in the process, you could enter the
Shoot-Out with the caption: "S---head", ya know?