Koni Omega Rapid ?

Old March 3rd 04, 08:58 PM
AArDvarK

Default Koni Omega Rapid ?

Can anyone of such knowledge give me a good understanding
of these systems? I need an inexpensive way to get into medium
format and I notice these cameras sell cheaply on ebay with lots
of listings. Are there fan sites for these cameras?

Thanks all,

Alex

Old March 3rd 04, 09:14 PM
Mike

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

Can anyone of such knowledge give me a good understanding
of these systems? I need an inexpensive way to get into medium
format and I notice these cameras sell cheaply on ebay with lots
of listings. Are there fan sites for these cameras?

Thanks all,

Alex

Some of the best galss you will find for the price. If you do a Google
search you will find a list or two.
How much do you want to spend?

Old March 3rd 04, 11:19 PM
Craig Schroeder

They're getting old now but I think you can still call them reliable.
I wish I hadn't sold my gear (I had a KO system and the Omegaflex TLR
system). The optics will stand along side about anything and some of
my favorite large prints (technically) were done with the Koni's and
as good as or better than newer medium format slr systems I've owned
since (Mamiya and Pentax 67). Find a nice one and enjoy it....don't
be too quick to sell it like I did!

Old March 4th 04, 12:00 AM
jjs

In article OFr1c.12921$id3.10471@fed1read01, "AArDvarK"
wrote:

Can anyone of such knowledge give me a good understanding
of these systems? I need an inexpensive way to get into medium
format and I notice these cameras sell cheaply on ebay with lots
of listings. Are there fan sites for these cameras?

Subscribe he http://snoopy.cmagic.com/Koni-Omega.html

I am a former KO owner. It's a very good camera - clever pressure plate
positioning lock that I wish we could fit to some of the 'name' cameras,
and the KO lenses are surprisingly good. KO is a true sleeper. Subscribe,
enjoy.
Old March 4th 04, 12:26 AM
Martin Francis

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

Can anyone of such knowledge give me a good understanding
of these systems? I need an inexpensive way to get into medium
format and I notice these cameras sell cheaply on ebay with lots
of listings. Are there fan sites for these cameras?

Nearly bought a kit for £200, but at the time I couldn't justify buying a
rangefinder (still can't). Rather nifty film advance/shutter cocking method,
clear-as-a-bell viewfinder, generally impressive. Sample I saw had a
slightly vertically-misaligned RF. Couldn't bear the non-TTL viewing,
non-close focusing nature of the beast, though.

I remember seeing some sites after a quick Google, with a bunch of
"conclusive" photos "proving" Koni-Omega superiority to Zeiss glass, but I
didn't see much to shout over (I suppose the point being that I *didn't*
find anything to shout over, the bang/buck ratio would therefore be pretty
high for me). If you can live with the limitations of RFs, but want more
accessible accessories (say twice fast) a Mamiya TLR might be an
alternative.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

Old March 4th 04, 04:31 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/korapid.html for lots of general info;
mf/value.html on KO as a best buy in MF optics, interchangeable back body
with lens kit for $200 and up (RO200 etc.). see mf/cameras.html for other
links...

I liked the kit because of the interchangeable backs, and because it ONLY
had 4 lenses in it; I was afraid if I got into mamiya RF I'd go nuts again
and buy lenses and each different body and backs and blah blah blah ;-)
The four lenses are stellar, esp. the 58mm and 135mm. But as noted, this
is an older system, and quite heavy though incredibly rugged. But for
$200, you can blow away the image quality from any 35mm (it is 6x7cm ;-),
and at least equal any MF below 6x9cm ;-)

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old March 4th 04, 06:32 AM
Randy Stewart

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

Can anyone of such knowledge give me a good understanding
of these systems? I need an inexpensive way to get into medium
format and I notice these cameras sell cheaply on ebay with lots
of listings. Are there fan sites for these cameras?

Thanks all,

Alex

Feel free to contact me directly for a more specific discussion than the
general replies posted to date. It is very good system, with some
limitations in use. Some bodies are more flexible than others.

Randy Stewartr

Old March 4th 04, 09:29 AM
AArDvarK

Thanks Mr. Stewart, I found some good sites, like now
I know the difference from 100 to 200, interchangeable
backs are on the 200, I suppose that means with film
loaded, interchangeable on the 100 as an open back and
no film loaded. Doesn't bother me though. I just want to
do a large negative or positive of artistic work and scan
to digital, into photoshop.

I used to own a '97 Pentax 67 which I bought new but that
thing was rediculously heavy. I seem to have the impression
that the Koni will be lighter. Also I had the pentax 135 F/4.0
macro, it was not a sharp lens, to heavy for it's speed and for
how little glass was in it. Macro lenses are suposed to be the
sharpest in any line. Through ebay, the prism went to White
Plains, the body went to Atlanta and the lens went to Hong
Kong! (sorry for rambling) ...

Alex

Old March 4th 04, 09:31 AM
AArDvarK

Yes I have read that the lenses can hold-up to even Hassy CZ
glass and anyone elses. Least amount possible, my luck is
down these days.

Alex