Longevity of film developer

Old December 28th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Longevity of film developer

OK, so this may not exactly be news to some of you, but I just
discovered that sometimes at least, film developer lasts a lot longer
than you think it should.

Specifically: just souped a roll of film (FP-4) in some D-76 that had a
date of 2005 on my label (full strength). I shot the roll as a focus
test for a camera I just rebuilt, and thinking that the developer was
suffering the effects of age, I gave it considerably more than the 8-1/2
minutes that was called for, just in case.

Looked at the film after rinsing it: it was waaaaay too dense. I shoulda
used the given time. The developer seems to be just as strong as the day
I mixed it. (It was stored in a PETE drink bottle, which may partially
explain things, as it's less permeable than polyethylene.)

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Old December 28th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 12/28/2009 6:33 AM Lew spake thus:

Since the camera was rebuilt, were you sure of the shutter speeds?

Reasonably, yes. It's a Pax M4, which has a really simple leaf shutter.
Hard for it not to be (at least somewhat) accurate. I can test it with
my shutter speed tester, but the exposures seem to correspond well. I'll
probably do that the next couple of days.

Next roll is going through my Pax M2. Same shutter mechanism and lens.

Old December 28th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 12/28/2009 11:51 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

On 12/28/2009 6:33 AM Lew spake thus:

Since the camera was rebuilt, were you sure of the shutter speeds?

Reasonably, yes. It's a Pax M4, which has a really simple leaf shutter.
Hard for it not to be (at least somewhat) accurate. I can test it with
my shutter speed tester, but the exposures seem to correspond well. I'll
probably do that the next couple of days.

Ack! Posted that too soon.

Turns out the shutter speeds for that camera (the Pax I shot the roll of
film with) plus another one were pretty far off--like almost twice as
slow as they should be at most speeds.

Still, that means the exposure would have been off by 1 stop, not a huge
amount, so my original premise that the developer I used is still
practically full strength is correct. It's just that the over-density
wasn't helped by the slow shutter.

Old December 29th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Check the edge printing on the film. This is done with
pretty closely controlled exposure. When overdeveloped the
edge printing will be very dark, normally it is a sort of
dark gray.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old December 29th 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 12/28/2009 3:05 PM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

[...]

Thanks for the tip. I did check it, and the edge printing (text and
coding) is maybe a little darker than dark gray, but definitely not
black. Parts of the negative *are* black. So I guess I overexposed the
film, and that the developer may be a little less than full strength,
but still capable of pretty close to proper development.

Old December 30th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 12/28/2009 3:05 PM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
.com...

[...]

Both overexposure and overdevelopment will result in
dense negatives but the contrast will be different. If
overexposed, unless the overexposure is very severe it will
print with about normal contrast, just longer exposure time
in printing. If overdeveloped it will be very contrasty. See
if you can print at about normal contrast.
The edge printing sounds like its about normal.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA