Canon PowerShot software installation

Old July 4th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Canon PowerShot software installation

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:43:12 -0700 (PDT), svu geek
wrote:
: I'm supposed to be testing out a camera for my grandparents and I'm
: having a problem, I hope someone can help me.
:
: The camera is a Canon PowerShot A590 IS. The instructions are a bit
: unclear. My grandparents and I would like to use this camera without
: having to install the software. Since we all have Windows XP do we
: need to install the software?
:
: We see no point in installing the useless software that comes with
: this camera. Ideally, we'd just like to install only the necessary
: drivers and be done with it. We'd like to use this camera the way we
: used our previous cameras, which was basically like a flash drive. We
: would just connect the camera to the USB port and then copy or move
: the pictures to a folder on our computer. Very simple. I don't know
: why some of these camera companies have to make everything so
: unnecessarily complicated with these newer cameras.

You characterize the Canon software as "useless", but you obviously haven't
used it. (How could you? You haven't even managed to grok the instructions
yet.) And most of the corroborative opinion you've gotten from others so far
undoubtedly comes from people who haven't used it either. Stay with this
newsgroup; you'll fit right in.

Actually, the Canon software isn't bad. Zoombrowser, which probably came with
your grandparents' camera, is easier to use than Gimp, for example, and lacks
the cumbersome database underbelly of, say, Picasa. Canon's best photo editor
is Digital Photo Professional (and it's free, unlike Nikon's top-of-the-line
editor). I believe it comes only with EOS SLRs, but you might be able to
borrow the installation CD from an EOS-owning friend.

But no, you don't need the Canon software or any drivers. If you get a $20
card reader, XP will recognize it just fine.

Bob
Old July 4th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:
[...]

Zoombrowser isn't bad, but it isn't good, either. While I don't have
a Canon now, I did have one so I have used it. For a browser/viewer
with bells and whistles, I use FastStone now. In certain cases,
Irfanview.

I have Photoshop (both full version and Elements), but would never use
either the PS browser or Organizer. I don't add my images to
Organizer.

I'm using a trial version of Elements 6.0, but I hope I don't find
anything about it that I like. I'd rather stick with 5.0. 6.0's
screen presentation is difficult to read with that dark, gray color.

Gimp, like Photoshop, is difficult to learn to use. However, Gimp and
PS have applications that are not available with a straight
browser/viewer. I bring an image into PS only when I want to edit it
beyond cropping or rotating.

When the OP says he doesn't want to add Canon's software, it's assumed
that he already has programs that do what Canon's software does. He's
perfectly safe in not adding it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida