Macro Mode

Old August 15th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Dave Cohen

Default Macro Mode

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was manual
no problem in understanding or using.

On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing scheme.
Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is needed but
that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus, macro mode is not
available since same dial function.

Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro setting
on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and what one sees
in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
Dave Cohen
Old August 15th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Jonathan

Dave Cohen wrote:
I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
manual no problem in understanding or using.

On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
macro mode is not available since same dial function.

Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
Dave Cohen

Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses and
people. You might be better off doing some reading on this subject. This
could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start by letting us know
what camera you are referring to that has a macro setting on it. Most rely
on the lens or filter to do the actual work. I can't think of one DSLR that
has a macro setting on it. I have several lenses and a few set of close-up
filters and a reverse ring that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also
have a set of tubes that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a
microscope adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning
experience.

Jon.

Old August 16th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Dave Cohen

Jonathan wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
have been clear.
I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
the macro setting is needed in auto focus.

I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus in
store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on dial
that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.
Same on Pentax, see here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page5.asp

My question is simply what a digital camera does with this setting. I
really do know what macro mode is.
Dave Cohen
Old August 16th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Charles

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:38:14 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

Jonathan wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

I believe in auto-focus mode the camera searches through a certain
range to find the best focus. When the switch is set to macro, the
range is extended to cover much closer focusing, when not in macro
mode the camera doesn't try to focus that close. I'm not sure why
they are built this way, maybe to same power.

I read about this with my Nikon, but it's been some time and I forget
things.
Old August 16th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
lemel_man

Dave Cohen wrote:
I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was manual
no problem in understanding or using.

On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing scheme.
Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is needed but
that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus, macro mode is not
available since same dial function.

Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro setting
on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and what one sees
in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
Dave Cohen

On my Nikon Coolpix 5700 "macro mode" means "special near focusing
mode". I don't remember the actual numbers but its something like:
normal mode focuses 30cm to infinity, and macro mode focuses 1cm to
40cm; both ranges being dependent on the zoom setting. The overlap
occurs at certain zoom levels only, and certain zoom settings don't
achieve focus lock in macro mode. Both modes are available with manual
focusing, but again the range is affected.
Other cameras may work in different ways.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

Old August 16th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Jonathan

Dave Cohen wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

What it does is a good question. Maybe you could DL the manual and get an
accurate answer. The term "Macro" is not defined and means different things
in different circumstances. Some call it Micro for example. Good luck in you
quest for knowledge. Maybe you should ask on dpreview.com there is a wealth
of information in that group.

Old August 16th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Prometheus

In article G7Mwi.1526$eL.1292@trndny07, Dave Cohen
writes
Jonathan wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

I think all of the functions using the symbols in the idiot mode do is
to limit the range over which aperture, shutter speed, sensitivity, and
metering will vary. I.e. for close-up it will try to set the smallest
aperture to get the best depth of field, sport will try to use a fast
shutter and small aperture by setting a higher sensitivity. I can not
recall what the user manual says, and have not used these modes, but
this is my how I would adjust my camera for such subjects.

--
Ian G8ILZ
There are always two people in every pictu the photographer and the viewer.
Old August 17th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr
Jeff

Dave Cohen wrote in news:G7Mwi.1526$eL.1292@trndny07:

Jonathan wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

With the Sony DSLR, the macro mode will limit the ISO range to 100-400 (if
the ISO is set to AUTO) and biases the exposure toward a smaller aperture
for more depth of field. It does not affect zoom or focus range. Anything
your lens can focus on (near or far, manual or autofocus) is fair game, as
it would be in any other mode.