Macro mode how do I use?

Old July 20th 05, 05:25 PM
Bible John

Default Macro mode how do I use?

I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
missing a step?

When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
current Vivitar will not do the job.

Thanks,

John

--
CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage ‹ with great patience and careful instruction.

AIM: Crucifyself03
Old July 20th 05, 05:42 PM
Bill Funk

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:25:04 -0700, Bible John
wrote:

I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
missing a step?

That's a fixed focus camera, according to
http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigC...dsc.html#v3625
and macro mode is supposed to be 12 - 30 inches.
So, anywhere in that range will be, according to Vivitar, OK, but
probably the closer to the middle of that range you can get, the
better.
Being fixed focus, it's not going to be very good unless light is
good, and macro shots will be moreso; the more light, the better. But
the camera is limited by that fixed focus. There's no step you're
missing, the camera just isn't up to the task.

When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
current Vivitar will not do the job.

Thanks,

John

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

Old July 20th 05, 10:39 PM
rwesurfn

"Bible John" wrote in message
[...]

the nikon line of point and shoot cameras have a very good reputation for
macro ability.
I have an old 995 that will focus at less than an inch I think. Its only 3.2
megapixels but takes awesome pics provided you have an adequate light
source. You will find that is one of point and shoots downfalls, they do not
take good pics in low light
HTH.
Mike

Old July 20th 05, 11:52 PM
Jeremy

rwesurfn wrote:
"Bible John" wrote in message

[...]

Ricoh had 2 models with excellent macro modes, the RDC-5000 and the
RDC-5300. They are readily available on eBay at around $50.00 (2.3 MP)
Depending upon one's needs, they may be all that is required. They
both focus to .5 INCH.
Old July 22nd 05, 10:38 AM
peter

Bible John wrote:
[...]

I think there are 2 issues here
The set-up and lighting. This is under your control and can make or
break the photo
The focus range of the camera; if this is fixed at 12 inches upwards you
won't cover very much of the image with the subject. You need to get in
much closer. Have you tried fixing a close-up lens to the camera? You
don't need to make a perfect fit, just square and reasonably centered. I
have tried this with fair results for copying purposes. Ideally you need
to get a fixed lens camera up to about 2 inches from say a bee to get
any worthwhile results.Of course it might see you coming! A zoom with
macro allows much more flexibility and the same image can be captured
from further away
Old August 25th 05, 08:01 PM
Jeremy

Bible John wrote:
[...]

If you are looking for a digital camera with an excellent macro
capability, may I recommend that you seek out a Ricoh RDC-5300 on eBay?
I bought it new in 2000 for $699, and I bought a backup a few months
ago, in mint condition, for about $60.00.

It has a "Super Macro" setting that allows you to focus as close as half
an INCH from the subject. Of course, at that distance, it may be
difficult to keep the camera's shadow from blocking most of the light,
but you are not required to get that close to the subject.

Here is a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/rdc5300.html
Old August 25th 05, 10:21 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:01:11 GMT, Jeremy wrote:

If you are looking for a digital camera with an excellent macro
capability, may I recommend that you seek out a Ricoh RDC-5300 on eBay?
I bought it new in 2000 for $699, and I bought a backup a few months
ago, in mint condition, for about $60.00.

It has a "Super Macro" setting that allows you to focus as close as half
an INCH from the subject. Of course, at that distance, it may be
difficult to keep the camera's shadow from blocking most of the light,
but you are not required to get that close to the subject.

Check the new Canon S2 IS. It has a Super Macro mode that allows the subject to actually *TOUCH*
the lens!