Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars

Old June 15th 18, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars

On 2018-06-12 12:17, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 10 June 2018 00:49:57 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 17:23:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Diesel
wrote:

I just don't get it. If I can do that with larger vehicles using
mirrors only, why can't you? You can't get in any worse of a
tight spot that I've been with some of these.

I made a trip by rented bus about a year ago. When the driver
started backing to park the bus people asked if he needed someone
to help. He said: no thanks, I have a rear view camera. He was a
professional driver with many years of experience, yet he was very
happy to have such a camera.

A commercial passenger bus isn't anything like a normal passenger
car/truck though. Something as tall and long as those typically tend
to be can benefit from a rear view camera to a point, certainly.

That being said, a normal passenger car/truck has mirrors which
should be more than adequate for the purposes of safe navigation.
Additional technology isn't going to be able to compensate for bad
drivers.

cars have rear windows, as do many trucks.
mirrors are useful if there isn't a rear window.

I used to drive a truck for a living. A real truck that is. When
backing into tricky places. loading docks etc, I used to open the cab
door and get out onto the running board from which position I would
steer. Although I had checked that the space behind was clear before I
started to back in, I had absolutely no idea of what might be
happening behind me once I started in reverse.

The same things apply to the blind spots behind cars. The driver may
have checked whether or not the space behind is clear but once they
are in the car they can have no idea of what might have moved in. This
is how a significant number of children and infants are killed every
year. There need be no fault on the part of the driver. There is no
question of whether or not 'they should have seen'. The plain facts
are that no one could have seen and this is why reversing cameras are
such a great device. It is incidental that they can also avoid the
need for a swivel neck when viewing areas behind the vehicle which are
visible when looking through the rear window.

The big advantage of a reversing camera is that you might not even have to look at the image as you could have distance sensors installed which would be much more useful than a reversing camera.

They are fine to have, but will not tell about a dog or baby in there.
Nor will the mirrors.

Also, some sensors may miss a vertical bar that happens to be low (so
not seen from mirror) and narrow, so escapes between two sensors.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old June 16th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-06-12 12:17, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 10 June 2018 00:49:57 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 17:23:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Diesel
wrote:

[...]

Where is the there ?
Reversing cameras aren't normally inside the car, and their aim isn't to detect things inside the car.

I said nothing about inside the car.

Nor will the mirrors.

I always though (unless you're doing your makeup or shaving ...) that the mirros are for viewing what is going on outside yuor car NOT inside it.

I said nothing about inside the car.

Also, some sensors may miss a vertical bar that happens to be low (so
not seen from mirror) and narrow, so escapes between two sensors.

Yes humans have blind spots and so can cameras and mirrors, such things can be designed out or accounted for.

Exactly, the cameras allow viewing in the mirrors blind spots. Progress.
We are not in the XX century anymore.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old June 19th 18, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-06-12 12:17, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 10 June 2018 00:49:57 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 17:23:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Diesel
wrote:

[...]

So what did you mean by "but will not tell about a dog or baby in there" ?

Where is the in there ?, in the river in the sky is the toilet ?

Behind the vehicle in the area not seen by any of the mirrors. Like a
toddler crawling just behind the rear wheels.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old June 19th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.
Old June 20th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a
vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.

There's nothing stoping you from wearing a blindfold in a car, provided your
not driving at the same time, well that's UK law anyway.

the issue is drivers, who need to be able to see everywhere around a
vehicle before proceeding. if they can't see where they're going, they
should not be driving.
Old June 21st 18, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:31:55 -0400, nospam

Whisky-dave wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a
vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.

There's nothing stoping you from wearing a blindfold in a car, provided your
not driving at the same time, well that's UK law anyway.

the issue is drivers, who need to be able to see everywhere around a
vehicle before proceeding. if they can't see where they're going, they
should not be driving.

Nevertheless there are always blind spots. Sere
http://www.dsource.in/course/basic-e...al-obstruction
or https://tinyurl.com/yabcu3ls "Visual Field and Visual Obstruction"

Eric Stevens
Old June 21st 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a
vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.

There's nothing stoping you from wearing a blindfold in a car, provided
your not driving at the same time, well that's UK law anyway.

the issue is drivers, who need to be able to see everywhere around a
vehicle before proceeding. if they can't see where they're going, they
should not be driving.

Nevertheless there are always blind spots.

which is why a driver must turn their head.

Sere

http://www.dsource.in/course/basic-e...module-2/visua
l-field-and-visual-obstruction
or https://tinyurl.com/yabcu3ls "Visual Field and Visual Obstruction"

Driver can turn both eyes and head to gain a wider field of view, and
moreover can make use of peripheral vision to see objects or
movements even without turning eyes.

yep, although the translation is not very good.
Old June 21st 18, 09:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-06-21 06:40, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a
vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.

There's nothing stoping you from wearing a blindfold in a car, provided
your not driving at the same time, well that's UK law anyway.

the issue is drivers, who need to be able to see everywhere around a
vehicle before proceeding. if they can't see where they're going, they
should not be driving.

Nevertheless there are always blind spots.

which is why a driver must turn their head.

Or have cameras covering the full rear and sides and display them in a
suitable view on the dash or so. :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old June 21st 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Nevertheless there are always blind spots.

which is why a driver must turn their head.

But what if your head is restricted from turning by a seat belt as after all
aseat belt isnlt designed to make it easy to turn your head, which is why in
the UK if you do need to turn your head and the seat belt obstructs you, you
are allowed to remove it and drive, otherwose there wouldn;t be that stated
in the UKs highway code.

seat belts do not restrict turning one's head.

they restrict forward motion when tensioned *after* a crash.
Old June 21st 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

There's isn't a legal requirement for anyone to see everywhere around a
vehical.

wear a blindfold, then tell the cop it's legal.

There's nothing stoping you from wearing a blindfold in a car, provided
your not driving at the same time, well that's UK law anyway.

the issue is drivers, who need to be able to see everywhere around a
vehicle before proceeding. if they can't see where they're going, they
should not be driving.

Nevertheless there are always blind spots.

which is why a driver must turn their head.

Or have cameras covering the full rear and sides and display them in a
suitable view on the dash or so. :-)

not as effective nor as safe, for reasons already discussed.

good luck trying to determine depth on small 2d display, or being able
to use it at all if the camera has dirt on it or the lens is cracked.