What lens for wildlife photography?

Old April 29th 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default What lens for wildlife photography?

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

Eric Stevens
Old April 29th 18, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

That depends on the wildlife, and location, but I am getting ahead of myself.

First it is a $800 70-210mm f/4, and that is undoubtably a good value for a
FF 200mm zoom, but at that price is not a particular bargain for that spec
lens. I would only fully comment on its capability once there are a few
impartial reviews. If I am not mistaken I believe you already own a better
lens in the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 (I am not sure which edition). Under the
right circumstances getting out as far as 200mm is OK for some birds and
wildlife in an environment which brings your subjects closer to you.
Otherwise, especially with a FF camera I would look to a lens which would
stretch things out to 300mm, 400mm, or 600mm (with, or without TCs).

For my D300S I still have my Nikkor 70-300mm, and old & slow 80-400mm.

I own a $700 XF55-200mm f/3.5-f/4.8 which does a pretty good job for me on my
APS-C Fujifilm cameras. However, It is not what I would choose for
birds/wildlife to be shot at longer ranges.

Savageduck

Old April 29th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Eric Stevens
says...

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

Usually the biggest problem with wildlife photography is range, i.e.
getting close enough, which would mean a 600 or 800mm lens (or more) in
FF equivalent numbers. If you have a zoom, most of the time you'll be
using it at the tele end.

Then, the lens should be bright enough, as wildlife photography often is
done early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun is not
so bright.
--
Alfred Molon

Old April 29th 18, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-04-29 02:31:42 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

Kinda expensive for a third party 70-200/4.0, Sigma is supposedly
bringing on a 2.8 Sport soon BTW. Lots of folks seem to be happy with
their 100-400/5-6.3 C. The C series are not weather sealed to the
extent of the Sport though.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sigma/100-400mm-f5-6.3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary/review/

--
teleportation kills

Old April 30th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/28/2018 11:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I can only comment on my own usage. I use the Nikon 70-200, old version,
with a Nikon 1.7 TC, and the new version of the Nikon 80-400, usually
with my D500. I have also tested the Nikon 200-500.

For my shooting, I found the 70-200 to have the fastest tracking, even
with the TC17. i mostly use the 80-400 either as a zoo lens, or when I
know I will not get close to the animals. I did not get the 200-500,
because it seems to be a very good, and sharp lens, I am unable to carry
it easily for more than about 1/2 hour. To my eye neither the Sigma nor
Tamron (150-600) were as crisp as my Nikons. That is just my opinion.
Others may have different results, or use their cameras differently.

--
PeterN

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 30th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/28/2018 11:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

That depends on the wildlife, and location, but I am getting ahead of myself.

In my opinion, your comment sums it up.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 30th 18, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 30, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 04:38:26 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

That depends on the wildlife, and location, but I am getting ahead of
myself.

That is true the bit where you said depends on the wildlife.
A recent david attenbought TV series where they photographed an ant mould the
lens they uses was a phone less broguth for under $20, but the mounting
equipement the guides and movement systen came to $1000s

WTF is a “phone less broguth”?

Although if anyone says wildlife to me I tend to thing of the big cat's,
elephants etc and the like or activities in the students union bar.

Big cats are a start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvzrovv5d4gvmr/DSC_3633-E.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 30th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Monday, 30 April 2018 13:02:14 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 04:38:26 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

That depends on the wildlife, and location, but I am getting ahead of
myself.

That is true the bit where you said depends on the wildlife.
A recent david attenbought TV series where they photographed an ant mould
the
lens they uses was a phone less broguth for under $20, but the mounting
equipement the guides and movement systen came to $1000s

WTF is a “phone less broguth”?

A phone lens brought for under $20

Aah! “brought”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rgmbt/p05rglmw

Old April 30th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Monday, 30 April 2018 13:31:15 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):
On Monday, 30 April 2018 13:02:14 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote

Snip

...the lens they uses was a phone less broguth for under $20, but the mounting
equipement the guides and movement systen came to $1000s

WTF is a “phone less broguth”?

A phone lens brought for under $20

Aah! “brought”

Yes all the letters are there just not necessarily in the right order.

All the letters, and an extra ‘r’.

‘Bought’ is the past tense of buy. ‘Brought' is the past tense of
bring.

(from a morcambe and wise sktech but about musical notes)

That's the amazing thing about the human brain well those that have one. ;-)

I guess that is an issue for some Usenet participants.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-c...n-can-read-jum
bled-letters

Savageduck

Old April 30th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 30/04/2018 13:31, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

cough I think he REALLY means *bought* for under $20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rgmbt/p05rglmw

Although if anyone says wildlife to me I tend to thing of the big cat's,
elephants etc and the like or activities in the students union bar.

Big cats are a start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrpea4ijzw3kxbl/DSC_3629-E.jpg

That's a fantastic image! :-)