UP CLOSE WITH THE FABULOUS 5D2!

Old June 9th 12, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default UP CLOSE WITH THE FABULOUS 5D2!

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 20:33:54 +0200, Bruce wrote:
: On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:17:06 -0700 (PDT), otter
: wrote:
:
: On May 31, 12:54*am, Annika1980 wrote:
: As usual, I was late to the party with the Macro shots. *However, I
: did manage to get a few good ones after the deadline. *Here are three
: of them I took in the past two days.
:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/143679594/original.jpg
:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/143679598/original.jpg
:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/143679597/original.jpg
:
: -Annika ----- Totally Digital !!!
:
: I don't read this group too often, so just stumbled on this. Damn,
: good work!
: What lens is that?
:
:
: As in, "Damn, good food! Which brand of pan did the chef use?"

Well, it's better than, "Wow, those are great pictures! You have a really good
camera!" We've all heard that a few times, I daresay. ;^)

Bob
Old June 9th 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

: wrote:
:
[...]

Tony "Bruce" Polson doesn't understand that "good picture" comes from
"good work".

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Old June 9th 12, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-06-09 12:40:38 -0700, Alan Browne

: wrote:
:
[...]

I believe Tony/"Bruce" was aiming a not too thinly veiled insult at
Otter. Implying that Otter asking about the lens, might believe he
would be able to replicate Bret's work. Much as an idiot diner might
ask a chef the brand of pans used, in the expectation that would be all
he needed to replicated a fine meal.

It is the old, "it's the photographer not the camera/lens" line told in
cooking terms. The reality which Tony/Bruce refuses to acknowledge is,
many of the SI shooters, and non-pros, including you, me, Otter and Bob
are perfectly capable of putting fine photo equipment to good use to
produce quality images. Bret's work is extraordinary and is not just
facilitated by the use of one particular lens, but having that lens
available certainly helped to produce the images discussed in this
thread. Others in this group are quite capable of learning how to make
the best of it.

Tony/Bruce remains a pompous ass.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-06-09 12:40:38 -0700, Alan Browne

: wrote:
:
[...]

I don't need an explanation, thank you.

I know the "form" Polson was using - it is common.

But Otter did praise "the work" and also asked about the lens. Because
Otter recognized that the work is good but also needed the appropriate
macro tool.

Polson can't pass up an opportunity to be snide and elitist.

Old July 4th 12, 09:27 AM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coe View Post
wrote:
:
[...]

That first image, for example, shows that it is about a bit more than having the right lens. Angle of view, background, lighting, etc. all contribute to the result. However, the job is not quite complete. Cropping, to remove at least that green leaf, could make the image so much stronger.
Old July 4th 12, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 08:27:52 +0000, Harold Gough
wrote:
:
: Robert Coe;953529 Wrote:
: On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 20:33:54 +0200, Bruce wrote:
: : On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:17:06 -0700 (PDT), otter
: :
wrote:
: :
[...]

That much of a crop would do more harm than good. If you wanted to get rid of
the leaf, you'd have to clone it out.

Bob