A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » General Photography » In The Darkroom
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Favourite B&W Films.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 9th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 450
Default Favourite B&W Films.

Charles Hohenstein wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Plus-X is available in 220 anymore. Tri-X
320 is the only 220 black and white film in current production, if I am
not mistaken. I wish that it were otherwise.


IMHO if that is the last film available, while I would prefer something else,
it's not a bad choice. We could be stuck with Verchrome Pan, or even worse
that chromogenic film with the orange base.

Geoff.


--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel N3OWJ/4X1GM
  #12  
Old March 9th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 313
Default Favourite B&W Films.

On 2009-03-09 16:30:19 -0400, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" said:

Charles Hohenstein wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Plus-X is available in 220 anymore. Tri-X
320 is the only 220 black and white film in current production, if I am
not mistaken. I wish that it were otherwise.


IMHO if that is the last film available, while I would prefer something else,
it's not a bad choice. We could be stuck with Verchrome Pan, or even worse
that chromogenic film with the orange base.

Geoff.


This may be correct. B&H in the US lists Plus X and both Tri X's in 120
but only the TriX 320 in 220. Plenty of the chromogenic crap but only
in 120. That's sad because I only get 10 exposures on a 120 roll with
my Pentax 6x7.
--
Michael

  #13  
Old March 9th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
erie patsellis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 35
Default Favourite B&W Films.

Michael wrote:
On 2009-03-09 16:30:19 -0400, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
said:

Charles Hohenstein wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Plus-X is available in 220 anymore. Tri-X
320 is the only 220 black and white film in current production, if I am
not mistaken. I wish that it were otherwise.


IMHO if that is the last film available, while I would prefer
something else,
it's not a bad choice. We could be stuck with Verchrome Pan, or even
worse
that chromogenic film with the orange base.

Geoff.


This may be correct. B&H in the US lists Plus X and both Tri X's in 120
but only the TriX 320 in 220. Plenty of the chromogenic crap but only in
120. That's sad because I only get 10 exposures on a 120 roll with my
Pentax 6x7.

being an RB shooter I can sympathize. I use 220 when I can find it on ebay, and the
freezer has been pretty well stocked lately, good thing too, as there's a dearth of decent
short dated film on ebay these days.


erie patsellis
  #14  
Old March 10th 09, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Toni Nikkanen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default Favourite B&W Films.


By the way, why is it that there's currently only one B&W film in 220 while
plenty of colour film is available in that format?
  #15  
Old March 10th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Charles Hohenstein
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Favourite B&W Films.

In article ,
Toni Nikkanen wrote:

By the way, why is it that there's currently only one B&W film in 220 while
plenty of colour film is available in that format?


Because Ilford's machine for finishing 220 film is in disrepair, and
they don't believe that the 220 market justifies the necessary
investment in getting it repaired. So I've been switching from Ilford
films back to Kodak. I have no idea why Fuji won't offer at least one
black and white film in 220.

--
Charles Hohenstein (to reply, remove Gene Robinson)

"The sad huddle of affluent bedwetters, thumbsuckers,
treehuggers, social climbers, homophiles, quavery ladies,
and chronic petition signers that makes up the current
Episcopal Church . . ." ---Thomas Lipscomb
  #16  
Old March 11th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Frank Pittel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Favourite B&W Films.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
: Charles Hohenstein wrote:

: Unfortunately, I don't believe Plus-X is available in 220 anymore. Tri-X
: 320 is the only 220 black and white film in current production, if I am
: not mistaken. I wish that it were otherwise.

: IMHO if that is the last film available, while I would prefer something else,
: it's not a bad choice. We could be stuck with Verchrome Pan, or even worse
: that chromogenic film with the orange base.

: Geoff.


I'm kind of fond of Efke-25.
--




-------------------
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
  #17  
Old March 11th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Starr
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 69
Default Favourite B&W Films.

Tri-X in 35mm & 6x7
Efke in 4x5
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  #18  
Old March 12th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 313
Default Favourite B&W Films.

On 2009-03-11 16:58:16 -0400, David Starr said:

Tri-X in 35mm & 6x7
Efke in 4x5
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


My only experience with efke is with 127, because when I first got my
used yashica 44 there was no 127 available (other than from film for
classics) except the Efke. That was a good film.
--
Michael

  #19  
Old March 12th 09, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 450
Default Favourite B&W Films.

Michael wrote:
My only experience with efke is with 127, because when I first got my
used yashica 44 there was no 127 available (other than from film for
classics) except the Efke. That was a good film.


Back when the Leica was new, a company called ADOX made a film called
KB-14, which was designed for landscape photography with the new
miniture film cameras. KB is German for movie film and 14 was it's DIN speed
by the 1960's when I first got it.

It had fine grain, long tonal range, and little red response being
a cross between the old othrochromatic and new fangled panchomatic film.

Over the years it's been made by in Germany by the original plant, but
sold under the name ORWO, and later by EFKE (I think in Yugoslavia).

The name has been changed by the current manufacturer to KB-25 as it is
no longer DIN 14, it's ISO 25 (same speed different name). The biggest
difference between it and the original film is that the old film was
mounted on a base that was so thing it could have been used for
cling wrap in a kitchen, and it was slightly gray.

I have not seen the new stuff (donations gladly accepted), but I hear it
has a clear(er) thicker base.

It produced wonderful results developed in Edwal FG-7, but was/is one of
the films that could do ok with Rodinal, if you diluted it enough (1:50?)

Last I had heard, EFKE signed an exclusive distrubution deal in the US
(possibly North America) with Freestyle, which caused some bad blood with
someone who was collecting orders to buy a production run. B&H also sells
it, but they get theirs from Freestyle, not EFKE directly.

So far EFKE seems to be small enough that they can produce an order that
Kodak will not even look at. I think that is the future of film.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel N3OWJ/4X1GM
  #20  
Old March 12th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 450
Default Favourite B&W Films.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I agree; at least I hope that's the case. The giants will abandon film
sooner or later (meaning consumer film like we're discussing here;
they'll probably always make the speciality stuff used for various
industrial processes).


Eventually those industrial processes will be replaced with nonphotographic
ones.


So it will be up to smaller companies to make it
something of a boutique industry. Fine with me, so long as the film is
still available.


IMHO it will be better. There will be less film made and less variety, but
the companies that do make it won't be worried about selling their product
at Wal-Mart.

Geoff.


--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel N3OWJ/4X1GM
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CoachMahariniCodicileSockPuppet's FAVOURITE Magazine Geist von Ljutefisk Digital Photography 0 January 22nd 08 02:37 AM
People most favourite websites mahmar[_2_] 35mm Photo Equipment 0 September 8th 07 10:49 AM
People most favourite websites Mah Mar 3 Digital Photography 0 September 8th 07 10:45 AM
Favourite photo wesites Kev Digital Photography 6 September 24th 06 10:57 PM
Speaking of sheet films (Tri-X /Bush thread) --Hows the J&C House brand in 4x5 thru 11x14? Efke sheet films? jjs Large Format Photography Equipment 0 October 25th 04 05:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.