Use of UV filters

Old September 10th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default Use of UV filters

"Walter Banks" wrote in message
I would like to see the pro's and cons of a UV filter or some other "lens
protecting" glass on a lens.

The small ghosts on very high contrast shots suggests that this is not a
good idea. It has to degenerate even normal images.

w..

When to use a filter...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/685667
Not mine, but a nice picture none the less.
-Jim

Old September 10th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
mj[_2_]

"Dave" wrote in message ...
mj wrote:
You pays your money and you takes your choices.

For better than 20 years I serviced both 35mm and most medium format
systems. I can say that in a small percentage of all the lenses I have
repaired (less then 20%) I have seen "protection" filters break into the
front element of the lens scratching it. Hoods generally offer better
impact protection. IMO

You need very careful to understand the implications of that statistic.

As a lens repair person you say you see 20% of lenses where the filter has
damaged the lens. I don't dispute that at all. But it does *not* mean that
20% of the lenses which have UV filters suffer such damage. Most people,
who damage their filters will do it in a far less catastropic manner. They
are likely to put a scratch on the filter, replace the filter and not send
the lens for repair.

Which is why I said less then 20% of the lenses I have *repaired*.

Also, whilst I accept filters can damage the lens if hit sufficiently
hard, one would have to question whether the lens would have been damaged
anyway without the filter. If a knock is sufficient to damage a filter and
smash it into a lens, it must have taken quite a knock - quite possibly
enough to have damaged the lens anyway.

The result of impact damage is a crap shoot at best. I have seen lenses that
fell a foot or two and were wiped out then there are the ones that drop
three feet and only bend the filter ring.
While most of my 35MM customers used "protective filters" not one of my MF
customers did and not all of my MF customers were "professionals".

Old September 14th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:27:47 GMT, "Ken Hart1" wrote:
:
: "Walter Banks" wrote in message
: ...
: I would like to see the pro's and cons of a UV filter or some other "lens
: protecting" glass on a lens.
:
: The small ghosts on very high contrast shots suggests that this is not a
: good idea. It has to degenerate even normal images.
:
: w..
:
:
: Every piece of glass in the light path has some effect on the image.
:
: On the other hand, if something scratches the front of the lens, would you
: prefer that scratch on an easily replaceable filter, or an expensive lens.
: Yes, I know that good quality filters are expensive, but they would be less
: expensive than the lens itself.

Laying aside the lens protection issue for a moment ...

In the film days we used UV filters to cut through haze. It worked (more or
less) because film was sensitive to UV light, which was scattered by water
droplets in the air and tended to obscure the image. But what about a digital
sensor? Is it sensitive to UV light at all? (It sees only red, green, and
blue, right?) And if it isn't, is there any reason to use a UV filter other
than for lens protection?

Bob
Old September 14th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:54:57 GMT, JT's Keeper
wrote:
: FWIW, I just replaced a UV filter (Hunt's, Melrose, MA.), which is used
: primarily for "protection." Never did figure out how the filter
: shattered sitting in the camera bag...

I assume you've ruled out catastrophic physical contact, such as getting
banged by a lens, camera, or flash unit. That leaves stress fracture, one
contributor to which could be excessive heat. Did you leave the bag in a hot
car, for example? The diameter of a metal ring increases when the ring is
heated. If a filter's ring is too tightly glued to the glass, heating it will
put the glass in tension, possibly causing it to shatter. The effect might be
exacerbated if the filter is on a lens but screwed on crookedly, since that
might have already caused stresses in the glass.

The Hunt's store in Harvard Square is disappointingly tiny. Is the one in
Melrose larger? Unfortunately, it's a bit off the beaten path for me. Is it
within walking distance of a commuter rail station? Or if one drives, is there
any place to park?

Bob
Old September 16th 08, 08:16 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

That works, assuming a rigid, not rubber hood, for all but lenses in the ultra-wide range, where the petal-shaped hoods offer little or no protection for the very convex front element. Sadly, the more extreme lenses may not accept a front filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McWilliams View Post
Walter Banks wrote:
I would like to see the pro's and cons of a UV filter or some other "lens protecting" glass on a lens.

The small ghosts on very high contrast shots suggests that this is not a good idea. It has to degenerate even normal images.

\

For my druthers, the lens hood always in place gives better protection.
At least for me, and the way I use my equipment.

--
john mcwilliams

Filters tony cooper Digital Photography 30 January 16th 08 12:58 PM
Filters Sameer Agarwal Other Photographic Equipment 4 March 27th 05 07:57 AM
UV filters LtX4 Digital Photography 0 January 12th 05 09:43 AM
Filters Pieter Tieghem 35mm Photo Equipment 12 August 21st 04 08:54 AM
LF: Filters ANDRE General Equipment For Sale 0 February 8th 04 12:56 AM