Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

Old October 31st 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Capture One 11 Pro: was - Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

In article , Neil
wrote:

that tells me you don't know how to use photoshop to its fullest
potential (or even part of its potential), which is not surprising
given what else you've said. you like doing things the hard way,
resistant to change.

I've used Photoshop for well over 20 years,

oh, a newbie. i've been using photoshop for almost 30 years and written
several plug-ins.

but I don't know how to use
it to it's fullest potential? How did you arrive at that idiotic notion?

based on your statements that the biggest differences with recent
versions are moving menus around and changing keyboard shortcuts, and
in particular, not knowing how to customize it. what's worse, is that
you find that confusing.

that indicates you don't know what it can really do.

Whether something is "the hard way" depends on what one needs to do, not
what functions have been included in an updated app.

nope. it depends on whether the new functions offer more productive
ways of doing what one needs to do. nearly all of the new functionality
is a result of what graphic artists were requesting.

but even if you ignore the new functionality and continue with the same
old ways, newer versions of photoshop are faster on the same hardware,
and in many cases, significantly so.
Old October 31st 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 31, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-10-31 15:33:04 +0000, Neil said:

On 10/30/2018 6:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Do you mean Photoshop 5.0 (version 5.0), or Photoshop CS5 (version
12.0)?
Version 5.0. The only reason I upgraded beyond that was for OS
compatibility. It does little for my productivity to have menus
shifted around or the keyboard commands changed.

Version 5.0 is over 20 years old and the World has moved under it, that
includes finding any currently supported OS, Mac, or Windows.

If you re-read what I wrote, above, it clearly states that I'm not still
running version 5.0.

OK! So which version of Photoshop do you use, or which was the last version
you actually used?

What Photoshop CC is capable of today is very different to what you had
in PS 5.0.

Not in terms of what I need or how efficiently I can get what I need done.

It is beginning to sound as if you simplified your needs, and the degree of
efficiency you are content with as a rationalization for not exploring
current, or future software developments.

BTW: You did not say what camera(s) you actualy personally use.

It doesn't matter to the above. However, I use all of the cameras I've
acquired over the years, which includes Leicas, Rolleis, Olympus and to
lesser degrees Canon and Nikon.

It might not matter to you, but a more specific answer to that question could
explain your position regarding your personal photo-editing software choices.
Are you shooting film, or digital? If digital which specific model(s) from
that list of camera manufacturers?

I can list a whole bunch of camera brands I own, and have owned, and you
would know nothing of how I produced an image captured with any of those
cameras to a state where it could be viewed. Your list is just a typing
exercise, providing no useful information.

I work in the format of the output medium (e.g. CMYK for print, RGB for
video), and find it much faster to use curves and other fundamental
tools to do the job to my level of expectations.

You can certainly work that way with Photoshop, as you can with
similar Pro
level software.
There are more options today than there were in earlier decades, but I
also don't waste my time learning new UIs for those apps.

Apparently not for the last 20 years you haven't, especially when it
comes to Photoshop.

What part of "The only reason I upgraded beyond that was for OS
compatibility" is giving you difficulty?

So, what version of Photoshop are you using, at home in your retirement? I am
using an Adobe CC workflow with LR CCC & PS CC, along with a whole bunch of
third party software i work into that workflow, and I am coming up for my
10th year of retirement, and I appreciate the advancements in PS, and much of
the latest developments in photo-editing software.

Things have changed, and the incremental nature of
the evolution, improvements, and advancements with Photoshop, along with
many of the plugins integrating with PS have made dealing with UI
changes easier, and easier. the same applies to Lightroom, and many of
the alternate software, and/or plugins.

You are making the very erroneous assumption that I haven't seen these
changes and made decisions about their usefulness to me. They're even
less useful to me now that I'm pretty much retired.

Oh well, in retirement I remain curious. As to that curiosity, I now wonder
why you even bothered breaking into the sub-thread conversation regarding
Capture One that Bill W initiated, and I responded to, other than to
challenge my complaint regarding the direction of RichA’s trollish posts.

Now there are more changes coming with the development of AI in image
processing.

I'm not interested in that, either. It may be useful to some who play
around with their images, but that's not me.

So, what exactly do you do with photography, and your images these days?

One exception is that I participated in the beta program for Affinity
Photo and now have that app on this laptop, strictly for personal use.

The Beta, or the latest Affinity Photo release?

I purchased it at a discount after the beta program, and therefore it is
current.

Affinity Photo is very good. However, it is still a far cry from
Photoshop CC.

I don't use it as a replacement for Photoshop. I wrote that it's on
*this notebook for personal use*. What is confusing you about that?

What was confusing about it was an implication that Affinity Photo was/is the
only software you are currently using for personal use on that notebook.

As I asked above, if you still use Photoshop on any computer you own, which
version might that be, not which version you started out on?

Savageduck

Old October 31st 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On 2018-10-31 15:33:04 +0000, Neil said:

[...]

I find this discussion rather frustrating. Neil has said that the
software he uses produces the results he wants. Why should he be
quizzed, with an undertone of criticism, about why he has not explored
other software fixes?

Isn't the objective of post-processing to get the taken photograph to
be right in the eye of the photographer?

Neil is just as much at fault here as anyone else. If he's read
r.p.d. in the past, he should know that what pleases him is not going
to please others when they do it differently, and he should stfu. He's
not going to convince anyone that he likes the results he gets the way
he does it.

It's not like he's posted images that don't measure up or asked how he
can improve doing what he's doing.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 31st 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default A Reply to Dumb RichA OT Stuff

In article .com,
Savageduck says...
Now will you stop your OT Windows posts on r.p.d.?

Judging from the number of responses, his OT posts are very popular ;-)

--
Alfred Molon

Old October 31st 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What Photoshop CC is capable of today is very different to what you had
in PS 5.0.
Not in terms of what I need or how efficiently I can get what I need done.

It is beginning to sound as if you simplified your needs, and the degree of
efficiency you are content with as a rationalization for not exploring
current, or future software developments.

I find this discussion rather frustrating. Neil has said that the
software he uses produces the results he wants. Why should he be
quizzed, with an undertone of criticism, about why he has not explored
other software fixes?

because there may be other options that do the same job with less
effort, possibly with better results.

only by exploring all available options can one make an informed choice
about what is the best path, something you don't want people to do.
Old October 31st 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 31, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

It is beginning to sound as if you simplified your needs, and the degree of
efficiency you are content with as a rationalization for not exploring
current, or future software developments.

I find this discussion rather frustrating.

Of course you do.

Neil has said that the
software he uses produces the results he wants. Why should he be
quizzed, with an undertone of criticism, about why he has not explored
other software fixes?

No undertone of criticism, perhaps one of miscommunication.

Isn't the objective of post-processing to get the taken photograph to
be right in the eye of the photographer?

....and there are tools which constantly improve to make that easier to do. If
I recall correctly you are currently an Adobe CC subscriber, and as such I am
sure that you might have discovered a new feature, or tool which has helped
you.

Neil is just as much at fault here as anyone else.

Yup!

If he's read
r.p.d. in the past, he should know that what pleases him is not going
to please others when they do it differently, and he should stfu. He's
not going to convince anyone that he likes the results he gets the way
he does it.

....and yet nobody here has any idea of what results Neil likes, or even which
digital camera he shoots.

It's not like he's posted images that don't measure up or asked how he
can improve doing what he's doing.

So true.

Savageduck

Old October 31st 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:09:26 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Done all that. My problem is that any attempt of Dell to contact
Corsair gets a response of "You are not authorised to ... " or words
to that effect. I've been through all the settings that I (and
others)
can think of and they are identical on both machines. Yet Corsair is
succesful in contacting Dell while Dell is unsuccesful in getting a
useful response from Corsair. The problem may lie in the fact that
Corsair is W10 Home while Dell is W10 Pro.

You;re not suggesting that thgis is a Windows problem are you ?

Not at all. I've boiled it down to probably being a user name and
password problem. I hope to know later in the day. The problem is that
Windows can do so many things (sometimes in so many different ways)
that unless you know exactly what you are doing you can be brought up
short by a security barrier at almost any stage. What I now have to do
is make sure that he two computers are so configured that they can
actually talk to each other.

it's very clearly a windows problem when it's so much trouble just to
get two computers to talk to each other.

Everything is an XXXXXX problem if you don't know the rules by which
XXXXXX operates.

no.

It certainly works for Windows.

nope. look at all the problems you're having. it *doesn't* work for
windows.

The statement to which you said "no" (above) certainly works for
windows.

It also works for you.

yep. on a mac, it's one click for the desired services, even when the
users on each system are different, as is the case with your setup:
https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/osx/yos_sys_sharing_files.png

That's not quite what I want to do. If I had three computers I would
want any computer to be able to share with the other two.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 03:28:28 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 01:50:20 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 19:38:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

You shouldn't have to that is the point.

Do you play chess? bridge? cricket? Do you drive a car on the roads?

You will find that each of those is a problem unless you know the
rules by which they work.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 18, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 03:27:38 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 23:16:28 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 05:12:01 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 29 October 2018 23:42:45 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 06:56:55 +0000, David Taylor
wrote:

On 29/10/2018 04:29, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
Now you tell me.

I'm currently trying to make my two Windows 10 computer _each_ talk to
the other. Corsair gets on fine with Dell but rejects Dell whenever
Dell tries to talk back. The instructions on line sound as though they
were written by those guys.

Check:

Share/directory/file security
Network public/private
Network discovery
Try IP addresses rather than names

Done all that. My problem is that any attempt of Dell to contact
Corsair gets a response of "You are not authorised to ... " or words
to that effect. I've been through all the settings that I (and others)
can think of and they are identical on both machines. Yet Corsair is
succesful in contacting Dell while Dell is unsuccesful in getting a
useful response from Corsair. The problem may lie in the fact that
Corsair is W10 Home while Dell is W10 Pro.

You;re not suggesting that thgis is a Windows problem are you ?

Not at all. I've boiled it down to probably being a user name and
password problem.

But it seems to be when usinjg W10 unless someone has this problem using another OS.

I hope to know later in the day.

Good luck, I see such problems quite a bit, yesterday everyone with a self managed networked PCs have been failing to keep their IP address so IT services are asking for log reports on time and MAC address so they can resolve this issue. But it seems only those on windows 10 clients are being afected.

The problem is that
Windows can do so many things (sometimes in so many different ways)
that unless you know exactly what you are doing you can be brought up
short by a security barrier at almost any stage.

Then I;d say that it an error and shouldn't happen.

Agreed. My present problem is identifying the error(s) I am making.

What I now have to do
is make sure that he two computers are so configured that they can
actually talk to each other.

I never knew that was such a difficult problem, well it isn't with Mac anyway.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

your claim 'everything is...' is false. it's not everything.

with windows, it's far more difficult than it needs to be, which is
*not* how it is on other systems.

https://support.apple.com/library/co...images/en_US/o

sx/yos_sys_sharing_files.png

That's not quite what I want to do.

based on what you've said, it is.

If I had three computers I would
want any computer to be able to share with the other two.

which is exactly what would happen if you clicked the checkbox for file
sharing (or screen sharing, for that matter).

computers don't have to be hard to use.