Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

Old October 30th 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Capture One 11 Pro: was - Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 10/30/2018 9:04 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 10/28/2018 3:56 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 28, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 09:51:03 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Did you happen to notice that deal for Capture One with Fuji Cameras?
I can't remember all the details, but I think you get lifetime Capture
One with a one-time $200 payment. There's more to it, but I also think
it's limited to working with Fuji photos.

What they have is *Free* Capture One Express Fujifilm which is not fully
featured, and which i have been playing with. Then there is the fully
featured Capture One Pro Fujifilm $199.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

There is also a Sony only version.
So, now that 20% of the responses in this topic are yours, perhaps you
could retract your original complaint? ;-)

Naah!

My original complaint regarding Rich’s off topic Windows posts is still
valid. All the Bill W thread drift to a Capture One & Fujifilm question did
was bring things on topic for r.p.d. and I responded to that. Note that in
that digression there was no mention of Windows.

As for my post directly in response to RichA bitching about subject change,
there was no content at all.

Now what do you have to say regarding Capture One & Fujifilm?

All topics have drift if they're long enough, and it's a safe bet that
much of the content will have little to do with the primary focus of the
newsgroup. While I don't think Rich's perspective toward Windows is
either accurate or useful, his comment was aimed at storage, which is
relevant to any newsgroup dedicated to acquiring digital data of any kind.

Ok! Ok! However, his posts are frequently an OT royal PIA which leave me
wondering what his goal, or intent for posting to r.p.d.other than actively
engaging *nospam* might be.

As I don't have a Fujifilm camera, apps dedicated to them have little
interest to me, but I don't have a problem with those who find it useful
information, even if it hijacked the topic. ;-)

Since Capture One Pro is also available as a more general program rather than
their two manufacturer specific versions (Sony, or Fujifilm), any thoughts.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One.aspx

Savageduck

Old October 30th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/30/2018 1:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
[...]
As I don't have a Fujifilm camera, apps dedicated to them have little
interest to me, but I don't have a problem with those who find it useful
information, even if it hijacked the topic. ;-)

Since Capture One Pro is also available as a more general program rather than
their two manufacturer specific versions (Sony, or Fujifilm), any thoughts.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One.aspx

Well, once again my perspective toward image editing software is tied to
my history of professional image editing since the 1970s. My preferred
software is that which provides good tools, not "push-button" effects,
and as such will not be specific to any camera or presumed workflow.
Otherwise, I waste entirely too much time trying to figure out what
those effects are really doing to the image.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 30th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 10/30/2018 1:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
[...]
As I don't have a Fujifilm camera, apps dedicated to them have little
interest to me, but I don't have a problem with those who find it useful
information, even if it hijacked the topic. ;-)

Since Capture One Pro is also available as a more general program rather
than
their two manufacturer specific versions (Sony, or Fujifilm), any thoughts.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One.aspx

Well, once again my perspective toward image editing software is tied to
my history of professional image editing since the 1970s. My preferred
software is that which provides good tools, not "push-button" effects,
and as such will not be specific to any camera or presumed workflow.

Just consider that your history of professional image editing is rooted in a
wet darkroom, as was my hobbyist image editing history, and that today the
professional, and the enthusiast hobbyist photographers have moved into the
digital darkroom which entails using appropriate “good tools”, and for
most photographers in those categories that means Adobe CC, or some other
sophisticated software. I do not recall what you are shooting these days, but
if you are shooting any digital I would have believed that you would be
interested in software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, DxO, and
several others, and how they work, along with their ease of use, I am.

....and Capture One, like Photoshop is software which provides “good
tools” with options to use, or create your own presets, or actions, or use
auxiliary plugins. They are nothing more than the digital equivalent of a wet
darkroom.

There are others which do much the same, and some which cater to the lowest
common denominator by providing a one stop fix for the smartphone shooters,
and even those folks have some sophisticated apps with “good tools"
available to them.

Otherwise, I waste entirely too much time trying to figure out what
those effects are really doing to the image.

That will depend on the specific software, and its purpose, or what exactly
you mean by “push-button effects”.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/30/2018 4:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Duck, I began working with _digital images_ in the 1970s. My wet
darkroom days go back to the '60s. The first "digital image editors" I
worked with were for video production, like the Quantel Paintbox and
other specialized hardware. By the late '70s, I was using custom tools
for personal computers such as for the Apple][ and even designed and
built some. By the 80s I was using mainly PC-based hardware and software
such as the AT&T Vista, which was 32bit color.

There were many image editing programs in those days, but I eventually
preferred Aldus PhotoStyler because of its ability to create and save
custom tools. Adobe bought Aldus, and shut down PhotoStyler to sell
Photoshop, which was quite inferior to it. So, I've used Photoshop since
its release and haven't seen anything since version 5 or so that brought
something useful to my table.

I work in the format of the output medium (e.g. CMYK for print, RGB for
video), and find it much faster to use curves and other fundamental
tools to do the job to my level of expectations.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 30th 18, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Mine started back in the ‘50s in my father’s darkroom. If you started
working on digital images in the 1970s you have me there by a few years.

The first "digital image editors" I
worked with were for video production, like the Quantel Paintbox and
other specialized hardware.

I was/am not a video shooter of any kind.

By the late '70s, I was using custom tools
for personal computers such as for the Apple][ and even designed and
built some.

I got my first Apple, an Apple ][e in 1983.

By the 80s I was using mainly PC-based hardware and software
such as the AT&T Vista, which was 32bit color.

At home for my personal use I have always used Apple computers since that
first Apple ][e. However, at work it was all on PC-based machines.

There were many image editing programs in those days, but I eventually
preferred Aldus PhotoStyler because of its ability to create and save
custom tools. Adobe bought Aldus, and shut down PhotoStyler to sell
Photoshop, which was quite inferior to it. So, I've used Photoshop since
its release and haven't seen anything since version 5 or so that brought
something useful to my table.

Do you mean Photoshop 5.0 (version 5.0), or Photoshop CS5 (version 12.0)?

I work in the format of the output medium (e.g. CMYK for print, RGB for
video), and find it much faster to use curves and other fundamental
tools to do the job to my level of expectations.

You can certainly work that way with Photoshop, as you can with similar Pro
level software.

Savageduck

Old October 31st 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 05:12:01 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 29 October 2018 23:42:45 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 06:56:55 +0000, David Taylor
wrote:

On 29/10/2018 04:29, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
Now you tell me.

I'm currently trying to make my two Windows 10 computer _each_ talk to
the other. Corsair gets on fine with Dell but rejects Dell whenever
Dell tries to talk back. The instructions on line sound as though they
were written by those guys.

Check:

Share/directory/file security
Network public/private
Network discovery
Try IP addresses rather than names

Done all that. My problem is that any attempt of Dell to contact
Corsair gets a response of "You are not authorised to ... " or words
to that effect. I've been through all the settings that I (and others)
can think of and they are identical on both machines. Yet Corsair is
succesful in contacting Dell while Dell is unsuccesful in getting a
useful response from Corsair. The problem may lie in the fact that
Corsair is W10 Home while Dell is W10 Pro.

You;re not suggesting that thgis is a Windows problem are you ?

Not at all. I've boiled it down to probably being a user name and
password problem. I hope to know later in the day. The problem is that
Windows can do so many things (sometimes in so many different ways)
that unless you know exactly what you are doing you can be brought up
short by a security barrier at almost any stage. What I now have to do
is make sure that he two computers are so configured that they can
actually talk to each other.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 18, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

it's very clearly a windows problem when it's so much trouble just to
get two computers to talk to each other.
Old October 31st 18, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 19:38:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Everything is an XXXXXX problem if you don't know the rules by which
XXXXXX operates.

Eric Stevens

Old October 31st 18, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:58:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

It certainly works for Windows. It also works for you.

Eric Stevens