Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Old October 18th 18, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 15/10/2018 00.32, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:21:58 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 09:49:35 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

They don't know what an external hard drive is, don't have one, and
need hours of training on how to use it. Similarly with the cloud, but
even worse because their internet is slow, and wifi is also slow.

there is no training. plug it in, click a button. done.

My sister has used Apple computers for many many years. I sent her a
batch of photographs (JPG) on a USB stick and despite seeking help
from her neighbours she never managed to view the photographs. In the
beginning she had not the faintest idea of what to do with the USB
stick. I am sure she is not alone.

that has nothing to do with backups, the topic under discussion.

Of course it has.

sending someone a usb stick full of photos has nothing to do with
backups.

In this case it has everything to do with computer users who cannot
master anything above the basics, whether it is using backups or
something as complicated as plugging in and viewing the contents of a
USB memory stick.

automatic backups and manual manipulation of files on a usb stick are
two very different tasks. one has no user interaction and the other is
completely manual.

Viewing files on a USB stick is a simple task compared with setting up
an automatic backup.

It's been a while since I set up my backups, but - as I remember - I
had to make choices...where to back-up, when to back up, and what type
of back-up to do. That is a rather complicated process for someone
who is not computer-savvy. Even before that the person has to know
how to even start the process.

I had to set up a shared networked directory on another computer. Not
that trivial. Windows refused to use an USB stick for the backup.

Viewing files on a USB stick is not as complicated, but it does
require that the person choose how to read them (the app to use) and
to navigate to the correct drive letter. And, then, to know how to
advance through the images.

Or stick name these days :-)

The sender usually doesn't know what app the receiving person has that
is a proper viewer.

I would say that neither process is "simple" for the raw novice.

I just stuck a USB stick containing images in my (Windows) computer.
Nothing popped up to tell me what to do. Given what you've said about
your sister's computer skills, without instructions from you she
wouldn't know what to do. But, she wouldn't know what to do if you
told her to back-up her files, either.

Right.

To try to compare the complexity of the two tasks is ridiculous, but
that's where nospam shines: proposing the ridiculous just to argue.

Right!

I haven't sent a USB stick to anyone similar to your sister, but I do
send SmugMug gallery links (family pix) to some elderly relatives that
have similar computer skills. I include instructions on how to open
the link and how to advance through the gallery.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 16/10/2018 17.03, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

How would you improve the design of a USB memory stick from the user's
point of view?

i already explained why sending photos on a usb stick is not a good
solution, with several alternatives. do try to keep up.

Dodge - twist - evade.

nope.

How should I go about sending you 4GB of photos?

read previous post.

I've just made a global search of all the messages in this thread
containing 4GB and have found that you seem to have evaded answering
my previous queries on this subject. Just in case I'm wrong, could you
please cite the message in which you explained or could you even
repeat your explanation?

i have not evaded anything and your search skills are not very good.

you even commented on the various suggestions, so you have full
knowledge of the existence of the post.

in other words, *you* are the one who is evading.

You evade how to send 4 GB of photos.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 17/10/2018 01.53, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

How should I go about sending you 4GB of photos?

read previous post.

I've just made a global search of all the messages in this thread
containing 4GB and have found that you seem to have evaded answering
my previous queries on this subject. Just in case I'm wrong, could you
please cite the message in which you explained or could you even
repeat your explanation?

i have not evaded anything and your search skills are not very good.

What term should I search on if '4GB' is not sufficient?

usb. or just look through your own posts, since as i said (which you
ignored), you replied to it.

Ah! So your answer to send 4 GB of photos to people that do not know how
to use an USB is to use an USB.

beautiful!

ROTFL!

you even commented on the various suggestions, so you have full
knowledge of the existence of the post.

in other words, *you* are the one who is evading.

And you will go on arguing like this when if you really had given me a
clear explanation you would direct me to it or quote it.

i did give a clear explanation, which you responded to. don't blame
others if you don't know what you've said.

No, you haven't.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 18/10/2018 01.55, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:06:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you even commented on the various suggestions, so you have full
knowledge of the existence of the post.

in other words, *you* are the one who is evading.

And you will go on arguing like this when if you really had given me a
clear explanation you would direct me to it or quote it.

i did give a clear explanation, which you responded to. don't blame
others if you don't know what you've said.

What do you think was your clear explanation? Come on, give me a
message ID.

read your own posts.

it's not my fault you're senile.

Nor have I stopped beating my wife.

How about demonstrating your non-senility by recalling the post where
you told me the best way to send someone 4GB of photographs.

Come on! I bet you can't.

He did not explain. I have just been reading the thread and he hasn't.
But he will deny it and yet not show the link.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 18/10/2018 05.24, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you even commented on the various suggestions, so you have full
knowledge of the existence of the post.

in other words, *you* are the one who is evading.

And you will go on arguing like this when if you really had given me a
clear explanation you would direct me to it or quote it.

i did give a clear explanation, which you responded to. don't blame
others if you don't know what you've said.

What do you think was your clear explanation? Come on, give me a
message ID.

read your own posts.

it's not my fault you're senile.

Nor have I stopped beating my wife.

as well you shouldn't.

How about demonstrating your non-senility by recalling the post where
you told me the best way to send someone 4GB of photographs.

Come on! I bet you can't.

i can.

Then do show the link! ROTFL.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 18/10/2018 15.01, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 18 October 2018 12:12:09 UTC+1, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 14/10/2018 02.57, nospam wrote:

sending someone a usb stick full of photos has nothing to do with
backups.

Of course it has. You are very thick headed!

So tell me what has it got to do with backups ?

Where will they do backups?

Why do you think sending a USB stick of photos is a backup ?

Do you really need explaining, or lessons on reading skills?

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 18th 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:14:01 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
wrote:

as i said before, setting up automatic backups is no more difficult
than connecting a hard drive and clicking a button:
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/osx/tm_new_drive.png

Ah, there! Connecting a hard drive! Now we get to things.

What is a hard drive? Do we have one?
How do we connect it? Explain it easy.

Based on the sister's inability to view images on a USB stick, I think
even an easy drive would be too hard for her.

Those of us who have been using a computer for some time don't
understand the problem that novices have in understanding terms. The
"Start" menu, for example, doesn't start the computer. You have to
start it before you can get to Start.

The USB stick has to be inserted in the USB port. "Port" is not a
word that would mean anything to the novice.

Icons are visible on the "Desktop". How does the novice know that the
"desktop" is what is viewable on the screen and not what the computer
itself might be placed on?

We provide instructions using terms like "Navigate to..." without
explaining what "navigate" means in this context.

I was helping a raw novice set up her HP laptop and told her to turn
on her computer as the first step. She stared at the computer for
some time and finally gave up and asked me how to turn it on. What
must be done is to press and briefly hold a little bar at the top left
that is not marked or labeled. There is no switch or knob or
protruding button that people are used to that turns things on. And,
if you press and hold that bar too long, it stops the computer from
turning on.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 18th 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/17/2018 5:40 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

The Mac's screen resolution was 72ppi. Apple marketed it to people in
the print industry as a "good thing", because type points are 1/72 inch.
In reality, that was a useless feature.

it was not useless at all. you know very little about macs.

Well, I have Macs, know what they are *and aren't*, have been involved
in typography and lithography since the 1960s, know what that is *and
isn't*, and as a result know that you know none of the above.

once again, you make many incorrect assumptions.

you might have macs now, but based on what you've said, you did not in
1984,

Not in 1984... my first Mac was a Mac Plus, which is still on display in
my graphics studio. The original Mac was completely inadequate for the
work that I do. The Mac Plus was inferior to the MS-PCs in the studio in
many ways, but it was a lot cheaper even including the replacement
keyboard and additional HD that made it at least useful.

and in particular, you have no understanding how they worked
internally and why they had significant technical advantages compared
to dos with respect to wysiwyg (and many other aspects as well).

Obviously, you are wrong.

it's not possible for 'wysiwyg' on dos to be as accurate as a mac for a
whole slew of reasons.

the 'wysiwyg' you had on dos might have been a good approximation,
however, macs did it better, so much so that the mac spawned the
desktop publishing industry, which dos wysiwyg did not. think about
that.

The Mac did not "spawn" an industry that predated its existence.

Fact: fonts are vector-based, and can't be rendered "exactly" by any
raster-based technology.

Fact: most lithographic prints are letter size or larger, so the Mac/Mac
Plus screen can't render "exact" WYSIWYG, as you stated.

Fact: typical lithographic resolution of the period was 2450dpi, so even
today's monitors can't render "exact" WYSIWYG. Even if they had the
resolution, there are several other factors that prevent them from being
able to render WYSIWYG.

I could go on with a lot more facts, but I expect that you won't even
have the courage to admit that you're wrong about the above, so there
isn't much point, is there?

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 18th 18, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/18/2018 5:20 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

Here the first laser printer we bough was an Apple laserwriter, HP had laserjets but there wasnt; the software to scale fonts like there was on the Mac.

That only means that you didn't have the right software, drivers and
apps. It was entirely possible to scale fonts if you did have those
elements, and in fact, HP was trying to compete against other
technologies for the professional lithographic printing market of the
time, where laser printers were merely cheap proofing devices.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 18th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/18/2018 5:03 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 17:44:12 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 10/16/2018 9:07 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 10/16/2018 12:17 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

Word under DOS had both mouse control and WYSIWYG, as did all
apps that
needed it, such as drawing, painting, etc. FWIW, Windows 1, 2, & 3.x
were merely DOS shells, and there were better shells available
prior to
them.

I don't remmeber WYSIWYG being any good under DOS. It could have been
that at the time all we had was orange/black or green/black 80
coloumn
monitors.

I think it depends on one's systems.

I don;t think so DOS was NEVER WYSIWYG.

Under DOS/Windows, WYSYIWYG is determined by the app, not the OS. Not
all apps need to be able to preview font sizes and so forth (or even be
able to print, for that matter).

except that dos apps are limited by what dos can do, or in this case,
not do.

I had NTSC color monitors under DOS
and I could see the layout, word spacing, fonts, etc. I was going
to get
prior to printing the document. That, to me, *is* WYSIWYG.

Not at the time it wasn't couldĀ* you see underline and the font
sizes as
well as font type.

Well, I have numerous publications from those times that were created in
Word, and I could always preview them prior to printing. So, I don't
know (or care) what your limitations were, but they weren't universal.

it absolutely was a universal limitation. it's *not* possible for dos
to do wysiwyg. period.

whatever preview you had was only an approximation of the final output.
it was *not* wysiwyg.

the mac was the first mainstream computer to do wysiwyg. all drawing to
the screen used the *same* graphics apis as drawing to the printer, so
whatever was on screen was *exactly* what would be on paper, regardless
of font, size, face or embedded graphics.

Years ago, in the pre-win3.1 days of MS-DOS, there was a software
package called "Fontasy". I remember it fondly from that time- it could
do all sorts of graphics, text layout, various fonts (hence the name),
etc; and it ran on......

(Drumroll, please....)

MS-DOS 2.1 or higher.

Here is a Google Books link to PC Mag for Oct 15, 1985, showing a
full-page ad for Fontasy.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Wc...ware&f=fa lse

One of the cool things I remember doing was to lay out a page with
multiple columns and boxes containing photos, then filling in text
around these items on the page. All this on screen, in WYSIWYG, running
on a DOS PC.

At the time, I thought the software was so good, I refused to pirate it!
The program was $50, and additional font disks were (IIRC) only $6 each
for 5" floppies.

Obviously, times have changed, and we don't use 9-pin dot matrix
printers anymore. But the point is: this was a WYSIWYG word processing,
page layout program that ran under DOS.

I remember Fontasy, and there were several such programs available prior
to that with less layout capability. People who think WYSIWYG requires
OS-based GUIs don't understand that WYSISYG means only what it says; one
knows what one will get prior to printing it out.

--
best regards,

Neil

It's a bit more than that, and that is whole point.

Sure if you type _pilchards_ then you know that is underline when sent to the printer but that IS NOT but that is not WYSISYG.

Anyone who understands the many aspects of *professional* typography and
lithographic printing knows that regardless of the OS, *all* WYSIWYG
screen views are approximations, not precise renderings. How good the
renderings are depends on the apps, and the best of them were not
available for the Macs of the day.

--
best regards,

Neil