A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Question for you Apple crazies



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old June 19th 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Question for you Apple crazies

In article , Bill W
wrote:

as i said, there are new products due 'real soon now', no later than
'the fall' when the various new oses are released.


I still have that in mind. This is not such an easy decision right
now. Do you have an educated guess how much I could save if I wait? I
might consider it worth it, but maybe not. Those iPads are really
shiny. And so are the Macbooks...


prices will be roughly the same, however, the specs will be better,
particularly with the macs, some of which haven't been updated in a
while.

the current models will be sold for less, either as a lower tier model
or discounted to clear old stock, so either way, you benefit from
waiting.

if your existing hardware has failed and you absolutely must buy
*something* today, then obviously, you can't wait, however, i don't
think that's the case.

also, for macs, apple is tied to intel's production schedules, which
have been a huge problem for the entire industry, not just apple.

if intel can't supply the parts in the quantities apple needs, then
there's not much apple can do other than wait, which is one reason why
some macs have lagged and why the rumours of apple's own processors
continues to gain steam.
  #62  
Old June 19th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Question for you Apple crazies

In article , nospam
wrote:

Also buy the Apple Pencil. It is a great input, and editing device.


Also on my list, but maybe not right away. There are many options for
keyboards, so that will probably be automatic.


any bluetooth keyboard will work.


i forgot to mention that usb keyboards can be used with the usb
adapter, as well as ethernet adapters and many audio devices
(microphone, keyboard, midi, etc.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034

however, wireless is *far* more convenient for a mobile device.
  #63  
Old June 19th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Question for you Apple crazies

On 6/19/2018 10:52 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

With the cellular option you can buy LTE cellular on a monthly basis, as
you
need it from a variety of providers, for both North America, and overseas.

I wasn't aware of that, but I can also tether to my phone.

Yup! That is always an option. With my old iPad2 I always used my iPhone
Hotspot option. Just be wary of the AT&T offering as that can lock you up.
For North America the T-Mobile option seems to be the best way to go. They
have an introductory offer which is not too bad, but after that their rate
climbs, but is still useful when it is needed. We have had a couple of power
outages out here, and having LTE access at those times has been useful.


I have a T-Mobile plan. The senior rate is fifty bucks a month,
(including taxes and fees,) for unlimited service. I will most likely be
getting rid of it, as their coverage sucks. Walmart sell a plan that
will cost me a few bucks mor per month, and they claim to use Verizon
towers. I am looking into that. Otherwise I will probably go back to
Verizon.


that's for a phone, not a tablet, and therefore irrelevant.

tablet plans are data-only and therefore priced much less than a phone
plan.

they're normally month to month but some may have daily or even hourly
rates.

there used to be a free option from t-mobile but it's no longer
available, however, those who have it can keep it.

however, for phone, you're overpaying.

walmart sells a t-mobile plan for $30/mo plan that's unlimited
text/data and 100 voice minutes, which is also available via t-mobile
if you look (it's well hidden). if you need more voice minutes, you can
use voip or facetime, which use data instead of voice.

t-mobile's coverage has also greatly improved over the years. only in
rural areas is it weaker.

there are also numerous other options.


I'm glad you know what I want. With that information your answer is
quite helpful.

--
PeterN
  #64  
Old June 19th 18, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Question for you Apple crazies

On 6/19/2018 10:35 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 19, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/19/2018 12:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 18, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 21:27:41 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 6/15/2018 12:14 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 00:05:25 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 6/13/2018 10:08 PM, Bill W wrote:
My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

That is a fine machine. Whether you are getting one depends upon what
you plan to use it for. One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen. I find that I do not get the tonality in
the darker areas with a glossy screen, that I get with a matte screen.
If you plan to use it just for family type, or event pictures, it will
be fine. Based on my experience with the iPhone, and iPad, Apple service
has been satisfactory. The techies seem to know what they are doing. I
can't say about dual boot on the portable, but I'm sure that you will
get an honest and knowledgeable answer from Apple. As for price, some of
the big box stores sell either reconditioned, or out of the box
machines. I don't know about Apple. However, based upon my on experience
I would only purchase an Apple product directly from Apple. But that's
the conservative purchaser in me.

Like I told Duck, I haven't so much as touched any Apple computer
since the Lisa(?) many years ago. And when I shop, I don't even glance
at the Apple section, so it's pretty important for me to stop in
somewhere and actually look at one of these things...

As I stated above, while i personally do not like the Apple notebooks,
for the reasons stated, assuming similar specs, i don't think there is
any substantial usability or performance difference between them, when
using Photoshop.

Well I finally went to a store and looked at the Apple products. I was
surprised that the reflective screen did not bother me at all, so
that's not an issue. Another thing that surprised me was that there
appeared to be about a zero learning curve for getting around in MacOS
for a strict Windows user, so that's another issue out of the way.

I also looked at the iPad Pros, and now I'm seriously considering
starting out with one of those.

My original purpose was to get something for travel that would do
everything I can do at home. The Macbook fits that bill perfectly, and
it can also replace my utility computer at home, and do a lot more
than that. But after a lot of research, it appears that the iPad can
do just about everything I would want for travel, along with being
more portable. My current tablet is used mostly as a reader, and the
iPad will be a perfect replacement since it can do so much more. It
also appears that you can easily do a lot of photo editing on that
thing. On top of everything else, the current processor in the iPad
Pro is one of the fastest you can get, tablet or desktop.

Best Buy has a 10.5"/256 version for about $670. That's got my
interest.

Check on whether that iPad Pro is WiFi only, or WiFi+Cellular. If you are
going to use it for travel it is best to have all options available. As
ubiquitous as WiFi hotspots are these days, inevitably you will find
yourself
someplace without WiFi. Also, consider getting the 512GB edition, it is good
to have the extra room.

Also, get the Lightning Camera Kit which will give you an SD card reader,
and
a USB connection for your camera. As useful as WiFi syncing from many
cameras
to iPad can be, with the iPad, using the SD card reader from the Camera Kit
is quicker.

Also buy the Apple Pencil. It is a great input, and editing device.

Then if I remember correctly you already subscribe to Adobe CC Photography
plan to give you Lightroom CCC + Photoshop CC. Lightroom CC (mobile) which
as
a stand-alone on the iPad is free, but the full sync power is included with
the Adobe CC package, that way everything you load on the iPad is synced
back
to your desktop/laptop.

With $9.99/month Adobe CC Photography plan you get 20GB of CC storage. I
opted to upgrade my storage, so for $14.99/month I get Adobe CC + 1TB of
Creative Cloud storage. That more than covers my needs for any trip.

So make sure that on your iPad Pro you install the free Adobe Photoshop
Express, Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Mix, and Lightroom CC. Also, if you want a
truly powerful photo editor on the iPad, buy Affinity Photo. All of those
apps are available via the Apple iOS AppStore.

The iPad Pro is a great tool, and makes a fair replacement for a laptop when
on-the-road. I have not missed my laptop when away from home.

Then you have to get a new home Mac.


The best answer is it depends. When I travel my workflow is to download
the contents of the camera card to a portable HDD, and then back up the
HDD. i then do rough edits on my notebook. I can't say if this is
important to you, but I would check in an Apple store. Your alternative
would be to walk around with a lot of cards from your camera.


When on-the-road in the past I had a triple redundant backup; 1: To my
Colorspace UDMA. 2: To my laptop. 3: To a portable HDD.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

Now I still have a backup to the Colorspace UDMA, but instead of the laptop
and portable HDD I download RAW files to the iPad Pro and Lightroom CC. LR CC
uses Adobe Smart Previews for editing, and rating on the iPad Pro, and syncs
to Adobe CC storage, which for an extra $5/month is now 1TB, that makes the
RAW files immediately available to my desktop where I have my home backup
setup.


I will probably switch to a cloud BU system after my laptop dies.

--
PeterN
  #65  
Old June 19th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Question for you Apple crazies

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a T-Mobile plan. The senior rate is fifty bucks a month,
(including taxes and fees,) for unlimited service. I will most likely be
getting rid of it, as their coverage sucks. Walmart sell a plan that
will cost me a few bucks mor per month, and they claim to use Verizon
towers. I am looking into that. Otherwise I will probably go back to
Verizon.


that's for a phone, not a tablet, and therefore irrelevant.

tablet plans are data-only and therefore priced much less than a phone
plan.

they're normally month to month but some may have daily or even hourly
rates.

there used to be a free option from t-mobile but it's no longer
available, however, those who have it can keep it.

however, for phone, you're overpaying.

walmart sells a t-mobile plan for $30/mo plan that's unlimited
text/data and 100 voice minutes, which is also available via t-mobile
if you look (it's well hidden). if you need more voice minutes, you can
use voip or facetime, which use data instead of voice.

t-mobile's coverage has also greatly improved over the years. only in
rural areas is it weaker.

there are also numerous other options.


I'm glad you know what I want. With that information your answer is
quite helpful.


i didn't say anything about what you want or not want.

you're obviously unaware of what's available, which is why i mentioned
some of the options.
  #66  
Old June 19th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Question for you Apple crazies

On 6/19/2018 2:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a T-Mobile plan. The senior rate is fifty bucks a month,
(including taxes and fees,) for unlimited service. I will most likely be
getting rid of it, as their coverage sucks. Walmart sell a plan that
will cost me a few bucks mor per month, and they claim to use Verizon
towers. I am looking into that. Otherwise I will probably go back to
Verizon.

that's for a phone, not a tablet, and therefore irrelevant.

tablet plans are data-only and therefore priced much less than a phone
plan.

they're normally month to month but some may have daily or even hourly
rates.

there used to be a free option from t-mobile but it's no longer
available, however, those who have it can keep it.

however, for phone, you're overpaying.

walmart sells a t-mobile plan for $30/mo plan that's unlimited
text/data and 100 voice minutes, which is also available via t-mobile
if you look (it's well hidden). if you need more voice minutes, you can
use voip or facetime, which use data instead of voice.

t-mobile's coverage has also greatly improved over the years. only in
rural areas is it weaker.

there are also numerous other options.


I'm glad you know what I want. With that information your answer is
quite helpful.


i didn't say anything about what you want or not want.

you're obviously unaware of what's available, which is why i mentioned
some of the options.


You never mentioned AT&T, Sprint, or Consumer cellular. Those are
options too.
When I clearly stated that T-Mobile doesn't have the coverage I want,
and you suggest T-Mobile at a lower price as an option, it tells me a
lot about the needs analysis you did, before posting. I am very aware of
what's is available, for more reasons than you know. For once stop your
bull****ting. I am fortunate enough to have the ability to analyze my
needs, and not have to rely on Internet bull****.
It's really simple. I had Verizon for years, wanted to see if I could
save some money by switching to T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't work for me,
so I am switching back to Verizon, except that I am getting it through
Walmart. No big deal. If the Walmart version doesn't work for me, I will
pay the money I paid before and go back to Verizon. Not a life changing
decision.


--
PeterN
  #67  
Old June 19th 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,089
Default Question for you Apple crazies

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a T-Mobile plan. The senior rate is fifty bucks a month,
(including taxes and fees,) for unlimited service. I will most likely be
getting rid of it, as their coverage sucks. Walmart sell a plan that
will cost me a few bucks mor per month, and they claim to use Verizon
towers. I am looking into that. Otherwise I will probably go back to
Verizon.

that's for a phone, not a tablet, and therefore irrelevant.

tablet plans are data-only and therefore priced much less than a phone
plan.

they're normally month to month but some may have daily or even hourly
rates.

there used to be a free option from t-mobile but it's no longer
available, however, those who have it can keep it.

however, for phone, you're overpaying.

walmart sells a t-mobile plan for $30/mo plan that's unlimited
text/data and 100 voice minutes, which is also available via t-mobile
if you look (it's well hidden). if you need more voice minutes, you can
use voip or facetime, which use data instead of voice.

t-mobile's coverage has also greatly improved over the years. only in
rural areas is it weaker.

there are also numerous other options.

I'm glad you know what I want. With that information your answer is
quite helpful.


i didn't say anything about what you want or not want.

you're obviously unaware of what's available, which is why i mentioned
some of the options.


You never mentioned AT&T, Sprint, or Consumer cellular. Those are
options too.


what part of
there are also numerous other options.

is not clear?

'other options' *includes* at&t, sprint (which will soon be t-mobile)
plus all of the mvnos, which resell the big 4 (soon to be 3).

there are *****loads* of mvnos, with prices ranging from pennies to
hundreds of dollars a month and i'm not going to list every single one.

as for consumer cellular, not only are they a huge ripoff that preys on
senior citizens, but their ads are very insulting and flat out
annoying.

When I clearly stated that T-Mobile doesn't have the coverage I want,
and you suggest T-Mobile at a lower price as an option, it tells me a
lot about the needs analysis you did, before posting. I am very aware of
what's is available, for more reasons than you know.


except that you obviously do *not* know what's available given that
you're paying $50/mo for t-mobile when it can be had for roughly half
that.

i didn't say that was the only option, just that you are overpaying for
what you're getting.

if t-mobile's coverage is as ****ty as you say, why are you even using
t-mobile at all, let alone paying them $50/mo?

obviously, their service can't be as ****ty as you claim it to be.

the reality is that t-mobile's coverage has greatly improved in the
past few years and is competitive with the other carriers. those who
claim that t-mobile's coverage is poor are basing it on outdated
information.

no carrier guarantees coverage everywhere and there will dead spots no
matter what carrier someone chooses.

For once stop your
bull****ting. I am fortunate enough to have the ability to analyze my
needs, and not have to rely on Internet bull****.


there is no bull****.

as usual, you're just mindlessly spewing.

It's really simple. I had Verizon for years, wanted to see if I could
save some money by switching to T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't work for me,
so I am switching back to Verizon, except that I am getting it through
Walmart. No big deal. If the Walmart version doesn't work for me, I will
pay the money I paid before and go back to Verizon. Not a life changing
decision.


if you've already decided on verizon, then why did you mention at&t and
sprint?
  #68  
Old June 20th 18, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 176
Default Question for you Apple crazies

On 19/06/2018 05:32, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 18, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

snip

Best Buy has a 10.5"/256 version for about $670. That's got my
interest.


Check on whether that iPad Pro is WiFi only, or WiFi+Cellular. If you are
going to use it for travel it is best to have all options available. As
ubiquitous as WiFi hotspots are these days, inevitably you will find yourself
someplace without WiFi. Also, consider getting the 512GB edition, it is good
to have the extra room.


Really? 512GB will bump the price up considerably - $250 or so?

I bought a Macbook Pro* recently from the refurb store with a 128GB SSD
- that seems to be fine for work use (iClouded, mainly Msoft Office
documents) and it seems to 'serve' the 100GB Photos library just fine.
Standing at 80GB free space after almost a year.

Although I do suspect that this NG's users have considerably larger
photo libraries, and I've probably misunderstood the way the Adobe's
cloud storage system works . . .


* A pre-touchbar/dodgy keyboard/USB C model. I suspect an iPad
Pro/keyboard will replace it in 5 or 6 years time - mainly for the touch
screen. When I looked into it the 13" weight advantage was only 200g or
so once the keyboard was factored in. A friend has the larger screen
version - very impressive. For now, though, the Macbook is marvellous.

--
Cheers, Rob
  #69  
Old June 20th 18, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,569
Default Question for you Apple crazies

On Jun 19, 2018, RJH wrote
(in article ):

On 19/06/2018 05:32, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 18, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

snip

Best Buy has a 10.5"/256 version for about $670. That's got my
interest.


Check on whether that iPad Pro is WiFi only, or WiFi+Cellular. If you are
going to use it for travel it is best to have all options available. As
ubiquitous as WiFi hotspots are these days, inevitably you will find
yourself someplace without WiFi. Also, consider getting the 512GB edition, it is good
to have the extra room.


Really? 512GB will bump the price up considerably - $250 or so?


....but then you would have plenty of room for those road-trip backups, and
editing. I like to have that headspace, and I recommend as much memory as you
can afford if you are shooting a bunch of images.

I bought a Macbook Pro* recently from the refurb store with a 128GB SSD
- that seems to be fine for work use (iClouded, mainly Msoft Office
documents) and it seems to 'serve' the 100GB Photos library just fine.
Standing at 80GB free space after almost a year.


Great if that meets your needs, but some of us here can shoot quite a large
number of fairly large RAW files in a day of shooting. That 80 GB could
evaporate very quickly. I don’t use Apple Photos, I do use iCloud Drive,
and Adobe CC.

Although I do suspect that this NG's users have considerably larger
photo libraries, and I've probably misunderstood the way the Adobe's
cloud storage system works . . .


Probably, but are you even considering a subscription to Adobe CC?

* A pre-touchbar/dodgy keyboard/USB C model. I suspect an iPad
Pro/keyboard will replace it in 5 or 6 years time - mainly for the touch
screen. When I looked into it the 13" weight advantage was only 200g or
so once the keyboard was factored in. A friend has the larger screen
version - very impressive. For now, though, the Macbook is marvellous.


A MBP is a great laptop. However, I would have looked for a larger SSD 500GB
- 1TB, and a minimum of 16GB RAM. For me, now that I have retired, I don’t
need to lug my old 17” MBP around. These days I have more use for a desktop
than a laptop.

My 10.5” iPad Pro with 512GB, the Apple Smart Keyboard, and the Apple
Pencil makes a great, powerful, lightweight travel companion. Adobe CC syncs
all my files with edits, and ratings between my iOS devices, and my desktop.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese horrors. Apple suing Amazon retailer for selling fake Apple products Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 2 October 21st 16 09:19 AM
Maker of ad-blocker Apple ap mysteriously withdraws it...a week before Apple launches their own Sandman Digital Photography 1 September 21st 15 06:51 AM
Aperture future in question as Apple axes bulk of team l e o Digital Photography 41 May 10th 06 06:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.