A truly HORRIFIC tsunami picture

Old January 2nd 05, 02:49 AM
Jim Redelfs

Roland Karlsson wrote:

A thought though - if you cannot withdraw now - when can you do so?

That's a very good question.

I expect that, to a certain degree, we'll be there permanently.

We're still "occupying" Germany and Japan.

JR
Old January 2nd 05, 03:52 AM
William Graham

"Nick Beard" wrote in message
Well...In fact this got 10 out of 10 from me cos it portrayed the full
import of the disaster. As I studied the photo in grate detail, I just
thought about all those poor folk who maybe that morning were alive and
well, doing their daily stuff like Hotel work, Playing on the beach,
running their business, teaching kids etc and now are all piled up with
the driftwood, waiting to be buried or cremated en-mass with out the
benifit of a decent funeral (by western standards anyhow). Where do you
plan to end up by tomorrow night eh??? Perhaps you too may be reduced to
this! Count your blessings that you can still breath the breath of life
like these folk did last week.

And tsunami's aren't the only possible disaster that we don't bother to
prepare for. Somewhere out there among the stars there is a member of our
sun's family that is bigger than the New York Island that is on a collision
course with Earth. When we finally see it, it will be too late to do
anything about it. We don't even have any amateur astronomers looking for
it, much less plans for NASA or someone else to deflect it from its ultimate
target. We are much too busy worrying about whether or not gays should
marry..........

Old January 2nd 05, 04:17 AM
William Graham

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Fletis Humplebacker writes:

I agree with that but unless someone lives in a cage they've
seen the video clips of the tsunami. I see the lesson
about man's inhumanity to man a bit different than the
unfortunant outcome of a natural disaster. The only thing
learned here is that the world needs to get together with a
warning system of some type.

Tsunami are so rare in the Indian Ocean that it is difficult to justify
a warning system. It wasn't until 1965 that someone thought of setting
one up for the Pacific, and the Pacific has several tsunami a year.
It's important not to overreact.

Yes, but it would be nice if there was warning enough so all the tourists
could go to the high ground, and all the dumb rubberneckers could rush down
to the beach and get drowned.....There is no law that says we can't help
Darwin out a little bit.......

Old January 2nd 05, 04:58 AM
Mike Henley

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:
"Zico"

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message

"Mxsmanic"
"Mark=B2" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:

Thank you for posting this image.
People need to understand the enormity of this tragedy, and

if even it
is
posted on the cover of PLAYBOY...I would appreciate it,

simply because
people need to be confronted with REALity these days, rather

than the
candy-coated versions so many of these quasi-sensitive

phonies insist
upon.

Thank you again for this link.

I agree. This sort of image makes the magnitude of the

disaster much
easier to grasp.

If someone needs a photo to grasp 120 thousand plus people dying
something is missing.

The experience ? ;-)

No. If you need to experience a tsunami to understand 120+
thousand dead is truely horrible you are missing a soul.

And you, Mr. 21 grams, have one?

This holier-than-thou talk is nonsense. Given my humanistic experience,
I've almost certainly seen more dead and dying people than you have; It
never ceased to cause me pain and leave me upset for a while
afterwards. A figure like "135,000" is horrible enough without seeing
an image, but it remains nonetheless simply that, a figure, impersonal
and abstract, and it gains a further credence of horror when an image
is seen the exemplify that, that the initial 'grasp' of it pales in
comparison.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:06 AM
Mike Henley

William Graham wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
[...]

This is unfair.

1) you should've said "tourists and natives"; tourists are not the only
humans in that locale.
2) "dumb rubberneckers" is unacceptable. There's no precedent for this
tsunami in the lifetime experience of most people. This is especially
so since, as mark said, the tsuanmi videos showed how deceptive the
waves were; they seemed small and leisurely at a distance, and gained
height as they approached the shore.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:15 AM
Kenneth Miller

"It's the worst single human tragedy that I know of
that has taken place in my 41 years on the planet "

This just not so. although the mainland China's wall of secrecy covers
up many details and China doesn't or didn't ask for outside aid it has
had several earthquakes that dwarf the loss of life in the recent tsumi.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001439.html
1556 Jan. 23, Shaanxi (Shensi) province, China: most deadly earthquake
in history; 830,000 killed.
1976 July 28, Tangshan, China: worst earthquake to hit China in 20th
century; devastated 20 sq mi of city, leaving 242,000 dead (official).
Estimated death toll as high as 655,000

Ken Miller
"Jer" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:

Aguyathome writes:

It's the worst single human tragedy that I know of
that has taken place in my 41 years on the planet ...

That's the same thing the radio announcer said about the Hindenburg
crash.

Yup, and the Lakehurst pictures of it's aftermath, death strewn
around, still sneaks into my psyche at times.

http://www.vidicom-tv.com/tohiburg.htm
http://www.nlhs.com/tragedy.htm

Incidentally, there was a small part of a Seinfield episode that
referenced that disaster - and caught flack for it. Newman was
driving his mail truck on Kramer's newly painted road, ran over a
sewing machine from Elain's gig in Jerry's car, dragging it's spark
trail into Kramer's fuel spill. Inside the truck cab flames erupt and
Newman is heard screaming, "Oh, the humanity".

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old January 2nd 05, 05:17 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

My point wasn't that the photo shouldn't be shown. I think the opposite
in fact. But it detracts greatly from the tragedy to put it in the
context of being "rated" as a good-or-bad photo. You're trying way too
hard to to find offending examples of censorship & political correctness
that you're missing my point. Context *is* relevant.

Whereas you seem to just be trying too hard to be easily offended.

Matt: I conceded that point in a later post. I'm generally not too easily
offended; something just hit me the wrong way at the wrong time. Most of us
don't have the prior experience to react predictably in the face of such a
tragedy. Somebody simply posted an image in a place they'd normally post
images because that's just what they do. There wasn't any thinking about it
involved, no malice intended etc. But I do wonder what 4081 people were
thinking when they "rated" the photo. To try and become detached enough from
something like that to rate it on the basis of photographic merit... that, I
still have thoughts about.

But as far as I can remember, I've never before been flamed like I have in
this case, and I'm sure I've said & done more stupid things. That's ok, good
to take the flame retardant once in a while.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com