What comes after Dropbox?

Old March 28th 17, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default What comes after Dropbox?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:42:17 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:20:49 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-03-28 01:57:34 +0000, Bill W said:

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:32:24 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-03-28 00:44:16 +0000, Bill W said:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:49:48 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

Flickr is really all I've tried, but it seems good to me. I like that
a mouse click or two in LR gets the photos onto the site, processed
and sized exactly the way I want, and it will put them into the
correct, or new, album. The paid version is cheap enough that I can't
even remember the cost.

There is also Smugmug.

They're not in the LR list of publish services, so I would have to put
some actual effort into getting the photos to that site. I am lazy.
And with Flickr, after I upload, it's also a no-brainer to copy the
link to that album so I can share. No-brainers are a very good fit for
me...

Actually Smugmug is right there, ready to be used.
All you have to do is go to the bottom of the "Publishing Services"
panel and click on "Find More Services Online". There you will find all
sorts of services for fee and free. On page #3 you will find the free
"Official Smugmug Publish Plugin". Install it and restart LR and it is
as easy to use as the Flickr publish plugin. Another no-brainer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcnubdqh1n46kix/screenshot_27.png

I see. I looked there once before, but this time I selected LR, and
then I typed "publish" into the search box, and that narrowed things
down enough to actually find things.

OK. That's all very well, but why should I choose one over the other
(or not)?

Eric Stevens
Old March 28th 17, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

I know nothing at all about Smugmug. Maybe Duck is familiar with both.
Old March 28th 17, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 28/03/2017 02:43, philo wrote:
On 03/27/2017 05:49 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

Dropbox works fine for me but some folks say it takes a while for the
images to load

This is one of my favorite images I've saved there!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...amock.jpg?dl=0

It looks good on MY machine. What do others think of the quality?

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Old March 28th 17, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"David B." wrote:

[...]

As expected. Marley looks fine and, well the colors of the hammock is
your choice... How would DB change the pictures appearance without
parsing and altering the file?
--
teleportation kills
Old March 28th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-03-27 18:49, Eric Stevens wrote:
I've been using Dropbox quite satisfactorily, for several years, to
provide links to photographs I want to post to the Internet. Now they
have changed the way they work and I am not atll satisfied with either
the way they work or what they seem to do to images.

I have one image which I have been trying to post in response to an
article by Savageduck in which we were discussing a collection of
landscape photographs. All I can manage with Dropbox is coarse
fine-detail and obvious color banding in the sky.

I know there are various ways in which I can replace Dropbox but it
will take me a long time to explore them all. I would be grateful for
any suggestions as to the best way I can go about replacing Dropbox.

I use Dropbox for business and it's perfect for that. It was never
meant to be a photo sharing site. It is, at heart, a file sharing site.

I uploaded some short videos to it and if you play them back from their
site the result is horrible. So I have to tell people to DL the file
from Dropbox and then play it.

But such represents 1% of my Dropbox use.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Old March 28th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 28/03/2017 13:57, android wrote:
In article ,
"David B." wrote:

[...]

That's good to learn ..... yet Marley is my son's dog, as is the
hammock! I suspect the latter was bought in the USA when my son was
serving there!

How would DB change the pictures appearance without
parsing and altering the file?

I might have a play with GIMP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

Is there a better way?

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Old March 28th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

"David B." wrote:

[...]

It looks as though you are using a Mac, so my suggestion is to take a
look at either Luminar or Affinity Photo. Either one is less of a
headache than GIMP and both work very well on a Mac without going to
the Adobe subscription model. There is also Pixelmator to consider.

https://macphun.com/luminar
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
http://www.pixelmator.com

Savageduck

Old March 28th 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

"David B." wrote:

[...]

^^^Retorical question!^^^

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rhetorical

I might have a play with GIMP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

Is there a better way?

Why are you asking for a bitmap editor recommendation? Dropbox won't
alter your files.
--
teleportation kills
Old March 28th 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 13:50:29 +0100, "David B."
wrote:

[...]

It looks good on mine too. When did you send it to Dropbox?

Eric Stevens
Old March 28th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 18:03:04 +0200, android wrote:

"David B." wrote:

[...]

That's exactly what I am complaining about. Of recent days it does
seem to be altering my image files. I suspect they will remain intact
on the Dropbox server for downloading as a file but they are
definitely downgraded when they open in the Dropbox application which
displays them to you.

Eric Stevens