Mass-storage appliance for saving camera images?

Old April 19th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

Default Mass-storage appliance for saving camera images?

Has anybody ever seen a small, single-purpose storage device with a
largish HD that could be plugged into the USB port of a camera and
simply suck out and save the pictures?

I never lug along a PC when I'm traveling, so I'm restricted to
taking as many pictures as I have space in my camera's memory
card(s). I have a 2GB SD card now, but am thinking about a 4GB for
insurance. However, something the size of a paperback book with a
100GB HD would be practical and handy.

It probably wouldn't be hard to write an application like this for
one of the many programmable control chips if the camera interface
was documented. Canon provides a software development kit for writing
camera applications, but it only runs under Windows and so far as I
can tell, all the code that actually knows how to talk to the camera
is in a DLL for which they don't supply source code.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old April 19th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
cgiorgio

"Bert Hyman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

As there is no universal protocol for transferring files via USB from a
camera to a computer, we are probably not going to see that kind of device
in the near future. However there are several devices on the market that
have a 2.5" hard disk, a flash memory card reader and also a rechargeable
battery and a processor that allows to copy the files from a memory card
into a directory on the hard disk. When connected to a PC they act as an
external USB hard disk. These devices usually use an extended FAT32 file
system and need a special utility for formatting. The one I have has a 120
GB notebook disk inside, is less than half the size of a paperback book
(115*78*25 mm), weighs 210 grams and can read CF, SM, xD, MM, SD cards and
various Memory Sticks. Unlike a notebook computer it fits right into my
camera bag.

Some devices also have a "digital picture frame" functionality and a high
resolution color TFT display, but that is not really necessary.

Old April 19th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

(cgiorgio) wrote in
:

As there is no universal protocol for transferring files via USB
from a camera to a computer, we are probably not going to see that
kind of device in the near future.

My camera will look like an external disk when viewed with Windows
Explorer; I just assumed they all did that. The literature warns that
some peculiar file formats, like embedded sound, might not transfer
correctly, but otherwise downloading requires no special software.

However there are several devices on the market that have a 2.5"
hard disk, a flash memory card reader and also a rechargeable
battery and a processor that allows to copy the files from a memory
card into a directory on the hard disk.

That sounds like an even better idea; I've never heard of it before.

When connected to a PC they act as an external USB hard disk. These
devices usually use an extended FAT32 file system and need a
special utility for formatting. The one I have has a 120 GB
notebook disk inside, is less than half the size of a paperback
book (115*78*25 mm), weighs 210 grams and can read CF, SM, xD, MM,
SD cards and various Memory Sticks. Unlike a notebook computer it
fits right into my camera bag.

What's it called? Where can I get one?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Old April 19th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
cgiorgio

[...]

I am in Germany and have a Jobo Giga One (
www.jobo.de or www.jobo.com , but
the same device is marketed under several names, Google for "image tank"
"photo bank" and the like.

Old April 19th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

(cgiorgio) wrote in
:

I am in Germany and have a Jobo Giga One (
www.jobo.de or
www.jobo.com , but the same device is marketed under several names,
Google for "image tank" "photo bank" and the like.

Thanks!

I used Jobo gear in my darkroom back when I still used my "real"
cameras :-)

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old April 19th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_2_]

Bert Hyman wrote:
[]
I never lug along a PC when I'm traveling, so I'm restricted to
taking as many pictures as I have space in my camera's memory
card(s). I have a 2GB SD card now, but am thinking about a 4GB for
insurance. However, something the size of a paperback book with a
100GB HD would be practical and handy.

[]

We've used an Epson P2000 for a portable store and been pleased with it.
The newer models (P3000/P5000) are even better. They all offer viewing as
well as storage, and you can make small slide-shows for friends -
surprisingly useful while you're away.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...p3000p5000.asp

Cheers,
David

Old April 19th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:14:10 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

Has anybody ever seen a small, single-purpose storage device with a
largish HD that could be plugged into the USB port of a camera and
simply suck out and save the pictures?

Yes. The local Staples store has some in stock. There are several
manufacturers - and they are fairly expensive. It would probably be less
costly to get yourself several 2gb or larger cards - I'd think about how
many memory cards could be purchased for the same price.

Old April 19th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:38:21 -0600, ray wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:14:10 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

Has anybody ever seen a small, single-purpose storage device with a
largish HD that could be plugged into the USB port of a camera and
simply suck out and save the pictures?

Yes. The local Staples store has some in stock. There are several
manufacturers - and they are fairly expensive. It would probably be less
costly to get yourself several 2gb or larger cards - I'd think about how
many memory cards could be purchased for the same price.

Consider buying one or two Transcend 8 gig cards instead. They are
cheap and work well... not the fastest cards but will do in most
circumstances.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products...No=98&LangNo=0
http://www.transcendusa.com/

KS
Old April 19th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bert Hyman:
Has anybody ever seen a small, single-purpose storage device with a
largish HD that could be plugged into the USB port of a camera and
simply suck out and save the pictures?

Not direct-connect to the camera... but there are plenty of laptop drive
wrappers out there that will pull the data from your camera's SD or CF card.

There is also at least one standalone DVD burner: insert the SD or CF card, and
the thing burns a DVD right there on the spot - no PC needed. That would be
my own preference bc the DVDs can be mailed home for CYA: I'd make two for each
download - one to keep with me, and the other tb mailed...
--
PeteCresswell