Top photographers condemn digital age

Old October 6th 04, 06:37 PM
AnonyMouse

"The Wogster" wrote in message
. ..
AnonyMouse wrote:
Gold disk is fine and dandy, but ...
Do you have a drive that can get data off of my 8" floppy disks from

very
early CCD image capture devices? How about something for my Syquest

disks
from 10 years ago??
The medium (in this case, gold disk) is not an ends, but only a small

part
of an entire line of equipment that would be necesary for data

retrieval.
Within our lifetimes, there will be thousands of great images that

will be
lost due to the obsolescence of electronic storage media (not to mention

the
millions of poor images).

So because prior methods have failed to last, then new ones will be
condemned to the same failure? There are three issues with long term
digital storage. First is the media, it must be able to survive for an
extended period of time, say 500 years. Something based on gold is most
likely to have that kind of lifespan. Note film does NOT.

Next you need an agreed upon technology, in other words the machine to
read the gold disk, needs to have long term standards compliance, so
that a machine made 500 years from now, can still read the disk.

Third the data format needs to be standardized and supported so that 500
years from now, the software will be able to read it.

Currently the standards are not there and nor is the technology.
However 5 or 10 or 25 years from now, it may be.

The development of such standards for the hardware and software will not
be happen until the storage and computer industries ares given a good enough
reason to do so. The mere fact that we may need such for digital images is
not enough.
Business records need to be stored for a specific time period to satisfy
legislated requirements (usually for 7 years, if memory serves) after which
the organization is free to destroy the data.
Contrary to the desires of photographers, archivists, and the like, there
is little reason to develop the appropriate storage technology within the
present business environment. Without this crucial support, the chances of
the development of the appropriate storage technology are, in my opinion,
slim.
Personally, I have a true desire to have the ability to retrieve
electronic data in the [relatively] distant future. Unfortunately, I feel as
though I won't live to see this happen. Non-electronic storage, such as
photographic prints and novels printed on paper, have a much better chance
of surviving the span of time until "someone" realizes that a significant
amount of knowledge is being lost forever on pretty much a daily basis.

Old October 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Donald Qualls

The Wogster wrote:

As far as I know, it's been called that for years, probably since the
early days of photography, when noxious materials like mercury vapours
were used with wet plates. Some of the chemicals actually smell okay,
except stop bath, I can't stand the smell of vinegar. But did recently
see that Ilford has an odourless stop bath, so things are looking up.

Minor detail -- mercury vapor was used with Daguerreotypes, not wet
plates. And this is, in fact, the most likely source of the "fume room"
epithet; part of the process of making a Dag is to sensitize the
burnished metallic silver on the plate by exposing it to iodine,
bromine, and sometimes chlorine vapors. Once the exposure is made (a
few seconds to a minute or two in diffuse sunlight), the plate is
(originally, at least) developed by exposure to the vapor over heated
mercury. Daguerreotypists were at somewhat less risk than hatters in
the mid-19th century, because they used only small quantities of mercury
and kept it confined (for economics, not safety) but not a great deal
less...

Wet plates, though, had their own fumes -- ether was the only solvent
common in the wet plate era that would dissolve collodion, which made
the wet plate photographer's darkroom (and that of tintypists and
ambrotypists, who used the same process) both highly intoxicating, and
extremely flammable. Beyond that, storage of ether has its own hazards
(a peroxide that forms spontaneously in storage is a high explosive).
It's *good* to live in the gelatin emulsion era, when (for most people)
the biggest hazard in the darkroom is cutting yourself on the edge of an
open 35 mm cassette.

I personally enjoy the smells of a modern B&W darkroom -- hot dust from
the enlarger lamp house, the gentle bite of hydroquinone in developer,
acid stop bath, fixer (a mix of the thiosulfate and more acetic acid,
usually), the slightly sweetish, almost alcoholic aroma of PhotoFlo, the
hot-glue sharpness of dry mounting, even film and paper themselves (or
their emulsions) have subtle scents. It's one of my favorite olfactory
environments.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 6th 04, 11:11 PM
Tom Phillips

"Michael A. Covington" wrote:

"You will always get better quality with film. You can talk to any
darkroom
expert about that," O'Neill said.

He is displaying an amazing ignorance of how photography works. With enough
bits, there can be a digital image that outperforms any film image.

Sorry. Don't know what your talking about and the physics
don't support this. It is you who are displaying igmorance
of the differences between these two mediums. "bits" aren't
the issue at all...

"I haven't mastered digital" doesn't mean "nobody will ever master digital."

He probably sees an awful lot of published digital photos without realizing
they're digital.

Lord Snowdon is another prominent fan of old-fashioned cameras, as are the
award-winning news photographers Tom Stoddart and Don McCullin.

I *like* old-fashioned cameras. I'm going to keep doing black-and-white
darkroom work, as a craft, for the rest of my life. But that does not blind
me to the fact that digital technology *does* work, and that it's a better
way of doing a good many things.

In particular, I think color negative film was a misconceived technology --
I'm amazed that it ever worked, given the basically impossible problem of
coordinating three color layers independently on both film and paper -- and
it deserves to bite the dust soon. Digital color control is *much* better.

No, it's not. More misinformation. The fact is no digital
color space (the gamut) can or ever will equal the gamut
and depth of color available in traditional color dye
materials. Doesn't happen. In fact, the more a digtal
image is processed towards output, the less gamut there
is available in digital devices and the more color information
that is actually lost. Again, you just don't know what
you're talking about.

Conventional black-and-white photography is the most different from digital
(in terms of ability to achieve high quality). It is the one most worth
preserving as a craft.

Again, this is misinformation about the photographic process...
Old October 6th 04, 11:16 PM
Tom Phillips

Phil Glaser wrote:

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message ...
"Phil Glaser" wrote in message
m...
Conventional black-and-white photography is the most different from
digital
(in terms of ability to achieve high quality). It is the one most worth
preserving as a craft.

I have seen this statement made before, but I'm not sure I understand
why this should be so. This is one of the reasons I was so surprised
about Ilford's woes: if traditional black and white is stronger than
digital black and white, why aren't these materials still selling? Can
you elaborate?

It's an art where the right things *are* controllable: contrast, density
range... It's not a juggling act like color printing. That's why it
appeals to me as a craft.

Do you mean, for example, that digital does not have an equivalent of
N+1, N+2 development, such that your only means of controlling
contrast is manipulating the image after the fact? If so, what is it
about the contrast and desnity controls with film that make them
better than the way in which you can manipulate a digital image?

And, are there other areas in which film is better for B&W image
control?

I ask these questions largely out of my ignorance of digital -- I
really don't undersatnd the technology as well as I do film technology
(which still isn't saying much . . . ) -- but also because I am in
the throes of figuring out how much effort I will be putting into
learning digital in the near future.

Michael doesn't know what he's talking about, and I suggest
you give his replies on digital due consideration accordingly.
He talks about "bits" when the issue is color space. He talks
about newspaper reproduction when the publishing side is
separate from the photographic side, not to mention the quality
and resolution needed for newsprint is the lowest of any print
media (and the color sucks regardless.) "Art" also is not the
issue nor a valid argument, since anything (good color, bad
color, feces on a canvas) can be art.
Old October 6th 04, 11:56 PM
Tom Phillips

Phil Glaser wrote:

Conventional black-and-white photography is the most different from digital
(in terms of ability to achieve high quality). It is the one most worth
preserving as a craft.

I have seen this statement made before, but I'm not sure I understand
why this should be so. This is one of the reasons I was so surprised
about Ilford's woes: if traditional black and white is stronger than
digital black and white, why aren't these materials still selling? Can
you elaborate?

It's all about the marketing of digital as a competitor
of film. See my post in 'Buy film, not equipment.' Digital
is not film, but the power of advertising (and there is
no truth in advertising) says it is. Probably 80% of the
film buying public knows very little about photography or
the differences between these two very different mediums
and that's why they believe the advertising falsehoods that
digital is "better" and is a replacement for film. This is
a deliberate marketing strategy on the part of digital
manufacturers.

BTW, Michael, there is no "most different" from digital --
all photochemical imaging is equally different from digital
AND of higher pictorial quality. Of course visual quality is
a relative term, so let's stick to talking about the science:

Digital is a competely different (non-photographic) medium.
It cannot do what film does and never will. The physics
don't support it. Color or B&W makes no difference: film
is film and the differences from digital are the same. Dyes
merely replace B&W silver grain patterns in color dye films;
the resolution and "quality" remain the same.

Image quality wise, silver halides record tonal detail on
a molecular level (i.e., it takes just three photons to
produce an viable exposure in a silver halide crystal and
begin photolysis), whereas with silcon sensors each
photodector site requires a much higher influx of photon
energy to produce a viable signal that is then used to
create an image pixel. Even the smallest photodetector is
much larger than a typical silver halide crystal. For
comparitive purposes, though, photoscientists have used
equivalent pixels based on the number of absorbed photons
per pixel area. In film, this is assumed to be 100 square
micrometers; for a CDD sensor about 50 square micrometers.
Yet film contains vastly greater numbers of 'equivalent
pixels' than any digital imaging sensor is capable of
producing, or will ever be capable of producing. (Simply,
photodetectors can't get that small, since the electronics
require enough photoelectrons to produce the signal and the
*larger* the pixel the better the signal to nopise ratio.)
This is why digital camera pixel pitch is on average about
9 microns or 80 square micrometers. Silver halide crystals
are generally 1 micron and less.

So, even the highest resolution sensors on the highest end
digital "cameras" produce nowhere near the equivalent pixels
film is capable of producing. Even the best one-shot prosumer
digitals do not equal the pixels in a 35mm frame of film. And
this affects "quality."

Just how many pixels (quality-wise ) are we talking about?
Highest resolution digital (to my knowledge) is currently the
Better Light tri-linear scan camera, using three Kodak RGB
tri-linear sensors. About 80 million pixels tops. Problem is
this is a scan back, similar to a 3-shot (the only true
digital color systems, BTW, as opposed to one shot bayer
pattern consumer digitals.) Exposures take seconds or minutes.
Typical prosumer digitals claim to have upwards of 11 million
effective pixels, but in fact it takes 4 bayer pattern pixels
(two green, one red, and one blue) to make one real color pixel.
So, divide that by 1/4. Then you have to add Nyquist, where the
image "quality" (or image detail as it relates to signal
frequency) is reduced even further. ALL silicon sensor arrrays
suffer from this limitation while silver halides do not. Nyquist
relates to quality, since digital cameras simply can't handle
most scene signal frequencies and must use either dumbed down
lenses or anti-aliasing filters to reduce high frequency image
detail. Silver haildes don't have this problem and can use the
highest quality optics availble. So, film always has better
"quality." The science says so.

Back to actual pixels: 35mm film (400 speed color negative) has
24 millions actual equivalent pixels. 2&1/4 80-100 million. 4x5
has hundreds of millions of equivalent pixels. 8x10 is numbered
in the billions. Of course silver grains aren't pixels; what
we're talking about is the ability to record detail and the
resulting image quality seen in prints made from those silver
halide negatives.

Film wins hands down, unless of course one is only reading
newsprint, in which case the "quality" is so poor to begin
with even a two megapixel digital camera is 'good enough.'
Old October 7th 04, 12:28 AM
Tom Phillips

Phil Glaser wrote:

John wrote in message . ..
The thing is that people find working in the dark
uncomfortable.

I believe there are a significant nubmer of people (including myself)
who make the digital/traditional decision based on their experience of
the process. I sit in front of a computer all day (and am paying the
price for it with my neck pain) and would therefore prefer to use the
darkroom. But for this discussion I want to leave aside those sorts of
questions about personal preference for the process. I'm interested in
the fundamental question of which technology produces better
photographs and why. Your answer to my question is a good start. But I
still need more information.

No one who sits in front of a computer screen is
working with "photographs." Digital data is not a
photograph. The ISO says so, and the science/physics
say so. Digital images are representation data that
has been regenerated from the voltage produced by
photoelectric sensors. They don't record photographs,
period and they will not last.

The mediums are different to a remarkakble degree that
manufacturers and markets completely ignore. In fact,
they market misinformation for the purpose of competing
with the film market. It's all about profits, not "which
is better." Digital is a technology based medium; photography
is a chemical phenomenon that can be accomplished with
almost no technology at all (give me some paper and basic
chemistry and I'll make you a photograph. Digital is useful
for some things (great for publishing and scientific
applications.) For pictorial imaging digital smiply cannot
do what film does and canot match the image quality possible
with silver haildes. And there's also a little thing digital
geeks always ignore called Nyquist.

Also they believe the spinmeisters when they tell them
it's going to be easy for them to capture and print "photoz" on their
inkjet printer. As if an inkjet can render a decent black ! I have
some comparison prints I keep on the walls of my cubicle. A contact
print from a 5X7 negative (Tri-X), several RA-4 prints made from a
Fuji Frontier from my 6MP FinePix along with a coupld inkjet prints my
wife made. Inkjet prints look like water colors, the Frontier prints
aren't much better and of course the contact print is perfect.

Ok, now suppose you can afford to have your digital images printed by
one of those proceses that exposes digital images on traditional paper
using lasers.

Light Jet...uh, you can have you're film scanned and also
output this way. This is what most photographers do.

I'm told the quality of such prints is phenomenal (and
the price astronomical). Assuming that the quality of such a print
equals or surpasses that of what you could produce in your darkroom

Big assumption. As long as you have quality optics, optical
prints are just as high quality. I know, I do both.

(assume hypothetically if you disagree with the assertion), is film
capture of a black and white image better than digital? If so, why?

Irrelevant. You are making a value judgment, not a
"which is better" based on imaging abilities. Again,
silver halides are the basis for all film, color or b&w.
Silicon sensors are inherently monochrome, so the issue
is the imaging abilities, and as I've pointed out Nyquist
is the major limiting factor in digital imaging abilitites
and "quality."

Does film have a better dynamic range? Is it easier to manipulate the
contrast? Etc., etc., etc.?

Film has greater latitude (the ability to record
a high quality image over a range of exposures) and
also a greater DR. Digital offers a greater analytical
range.

Again, please restrict the universe of discourse to black and white. I
don't care about color.

All color film is black and white.
Old October 7th 04, 12:33 AM
Tom Phillips

John wrote:

On 3 Oct 2004 18:15:07 -0700, (Phil Glaser)
wrote:

Conventional black-and-white photography is the most different from digital
(in terms of ability to achieve high quality). It is the one most worth
preserving as a craft.

I have seen this statement made before, but I'm not sure I understand
why this should be so. This is one of the reasons I was so surprised
about Ilford's woes: if traditional black and white is stronger than
digital black and white, why aren't these materials still selling? Can
you elaborate?

--Phil

The thing is that people find working in the dark
uncomfortable. Also they believe the spinmeisters when they tell them
it's going to be easy for them to capture and print "photoz" on their
inkjet printer. As if an inkjet can render a decent black ! I have
some comparison prints I keep on the walls of my cubicle. A contact
print from a 5X7 negative (Tri-X), several RA-4 prints made from a
Fuji Frontier from my 6MP FinePix along with a coupld inkjet prints my
wife made. Inkjet prints look like water colors, the Frontier prints
aren't much better and of course the contact print is perfect.

Inkjet _are_ watercolors. The ink is sprayed in a very
thin layer onto a paper surface (as thin as possible),
as opposed to a silver-rich image which contains a layer
of silver (or color dyes) in a gelatin binder. Inkjets
have no binder, and combined with the incredibly thin
layers of sprayed pigments is why they've tended to fade
so quickly.
Old October 7th 04, 02:00 AM
Gregory Blank

Tom Phillips wrote:

not to mention the quality
and resolution needed for newsprint is the lowest of any print
media (and the color sucks regardless.)

Like its like ink jet printing on toilet paper.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 7th 04, 02:08 AM
Gregory Blank

What I really wish is that I could somewhere use the
most advanced output device to draw my own conclusions
regarding how good, good can be. I do know any conventional
print I in house make, blows away any thing I have seen come from
prolabs printing my work either conventional or digital.

I think for so long "many" have lusted after the control
that digital somewhat affords, that those many, without the
controls of doing your own work conventionally,.. are quite willing to
suckit up and say this is great without a real frame of reference.

I hope I stated that thought clearly?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 7th 04, 02:13 AM
Gregory Blank

Donald Qualls wrote:

Daguerreotypists were at somewhat less risk than hatters in
the mid-19th century, because they used only small quantities of mercury
and kept it confined

In a box: Interesting side bar, the angle one fumes the plate
determines the angle the image can be viewed.

Wet plates, though, had their own fumes -- ether was the only solvent
common in the wet plate era that would dissolve collodion, which made
the wet plate photographer's darkroom (and that of tintypists and
ambrotypists, who used the same process) both highly intoxicating, and
extremely flammable.

Don't you just love ether? Ahh the aroma....where is that scarpeachy Now?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918