Hot pixels covered by warranty?

Old February 2nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Hot pixels covered by warranty?

Should I bother asking Canon to change the sensor of my 20D
due to the presence of a cluster of hot pixels? It really becomes
noticeable at long exposure times (of the order of seconds) in
night shots. It sounds like nothing, but it is annoying to find
a red blob in a night shot.

thanks.
Old February 2nd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

223rem wrote:

Should I bother asking Canon to change the sensor of my 20D
due to the presence of a cluster of hot pixels? It really becomes
noticeable at long exposure times (of the order of seconds) in
night shots. It sounds like nothing, but it is annoying to find
a red blob in a night shot.

Changing the sensor will just move the hot pixels around. Don't waste
your time at Canon, do this instead:

www.google.com: dark frame subtraction

Old February 2nd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:
223rem wrote:

Should I bother asking Canon to change the sensor of my 20D
due to the presence of a cluster of hot pixels? It really becomes
noticeable at long exposure times (of the order of seconds) in
night shots. It sounds like nothing, but it is annoying to find
a red blob in a night shot.

Changing the sensor will just move the hot pixels around. Don't waste
your time at Canon, do this instead:

www.google.com: dark frame subtraction

I guess that means that you subtract a "dark" image
(obtained by taking a photo with the lens cap on) from the
image you want to clean. The problem is that hot pixels become
hotter with increased exposure time, so you have to match the
exposure times before subtraction, which is a big pain in the
ass.

Another problem is that it seems that it is not just an isolated
hot pixel, but a cluster (although that could be an artifact--the
result of transforming the raw image into jpeg). One isolated
pixel I can accept, but not a blob!
Old February 2nd 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

223rem wrote:

I guess that means that you subtract a "dark" image
(obtained by taking a photo with the lens cap on) from the
image you want to clean. The problem is that hot pixels become
hotter with increased exposure time, so you have to match the
exposure times before subtraction, which is a big pain in the
ass.

Well, if you think it'll be easier to hassle Canon, then who am I to
stop you? But if you want quality long-exposure images you gotta
subtract properly collected and processed darks, even if you manage to
get Canon to give you a new sensor.

Another problem is that it seems that it is not just an isolated
hot pixel, but a cluster (although that could be an artifact--the
result of transforming the raw image into jpeg). One isolated
pixel I can accept, but not a blob!

When you do the dark-frame subtraction, the computer does the
arithmetic per pixel. All 8 million of them, independently. It
doesn't matter where the hot pixels are, how they are clustered, etc.

Old February 2nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I guess the other concern must be "Will the issue get any worse" - possibly
leaving you in a situation with an unusable camera, and out of warranty.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"223rem" wrote in message
Should I bother asking Canon to change the sensor of my 20D
due to the presence of a cluster of hot pixels? It really becomes
noticeable at long exposure times (of the order of seconds) in
night shots. It sounds like nothing, but it is annoying to find
a red blob in a night shot.

First, manufacturers won't replace the sensor if it has hot pixels; they
will simply reprogram the camera to ignore the pixels.

Second, if hot pixels are showing up only on long time exposures, that's
normal and there's nothing wrong to begin with. It's the nature of digital
photography.

Old February 2nd 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message

Second, if hot pixels are showing up only on long time exposures, that's
normal and there's nothing wrong to begin with. It's the nature of digital
photography.

For me, the keyword was "cluster" of hot pixels - not a "number" of hot
pixels. That bit's definately not normal.