illuminated F/stop dial on my 50mm APO Rodagon N.

Old November 27th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default illuminated F/stop dial on my 50mm APO Rodagon N.

The illuminated dial on my Rodagon is not illuminating the F/stops when
used on either my durst M605 B&W, or my LPL 670 when I'm doing 35mm. Is
there an adjustment or slide I'm not seeing? It never bothered me until
I was at the B&H website and was looking at this lenses spec's. Am I
missing something other than the illuminating F/stop's?

Regards.

Bob McCarthy

Old November 27th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In my recollection, illuminated stops use enlarger light from around the
perimeter of the lens, look at the back of your lens you may see a small
clear lens, port or hole that is the entry point for the light that is used
to illuminate the stops, if the design of your enlarger is too efficient
(think "Durst" masking carriers etc.) about masking off non-image forming
light (aka "fog") the stops may not be getting any light. Other designs may
use other ways to get the light to the aperture ring, light from outside the
image circle perhaps but with some enlargers again there just isn't much
"spare" light.
--
darkroommike

----------
oups.com...

Old November 27th 05, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
" wrote:

The illuminated dial on my Rodagon is not illuminating the F/stops when
used on either my durst M605 B&W, or my LPL 670 when I'm doing 35mm. Is
there an adjustment or slide I'm not seeing? It never bothered me until
I was at the B&H website and was looking at this lenses spec's. Am I
missing something other than the illuminating F/stop's?

Regards.

Bob McCarthy

The small rectangular port on the rear surface of your lens is closed
off either by a piece of tape - if the lens had been used for macro or
reversed, or by the lens flange.

The only other reason was your buying a used lens that was scavanged
from some type of scanner for industrial applications. Those versions
did not have the illuminated aperture or the pre-set aperture control or
the dis-engageable click stops.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old November 28th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
The illuminated dial on my Rodagon is not illuminating the F/stops

On my 150mm Rodagon there is a plastic piece on the periphery of the
rear element mount that needs to be illuminated. When the lens is
in an adapter for use in a turret then light no longer gets to this
piece and the aperture ring is dark.

Take off the lens board and look from the rear: do you see the
plastic thingy? You may be able to drill a hole or do some filing
to let light in - with a thread adapter that option is out, though.

#1) Get some rubylith and re-lens a penlight. #2) Pay someone
to do #1 for you: Google for "penlight red" or "penlight safelight",
"red flashlight" etc..

I have the penlight tied to a string tied to the enlarger bench.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old November 28th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Hi:

I bought this lens new about 10 years ago, APO-Rodagon N 50mm F2.8,
serial #11217832.
I can see the rectangular port and its clean and clear, could my lens
be defective?

Regards.

Bob McCarthy

Old November 28th 05, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:51:39 -0600, Jean-David Beyer
wrote:

I just count clicks. Most lenses are 1 f-stop apart, but one lens is 1/2
f-stop. Lots less bother.

I just leave mine set to one aperture unless I'm printing color. 2 stops
down from wide open.

John S. Douglas, Photographer & Webmaster
http://www.puresilver.org - http://www.legacy-photo.com
Old November 28th 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
One of my lenses, not a Rodagon, has such a light, but so little light
hits
the window that it is useless. One of my Beseler lens boards has a light,
too, but same problem.

Exactly. It's basically a useless feature. It only "works" when you're
making the exposure. What's the point?