Is Canon about to announce a 'second generation' 20D?

Old November 3rd 05, 01:48 PM
Skip M

Default Is Canon about to announce a 'second generation' 20D?

"Stephen M. Dunn" wrote in message
In article i3daf.4662$UF4.2711@fed1read02 "Skip M"
writes:
$Canon execs have already hinted that the 1.3x crop has a limited life
$span...

More to the point, they've said they're planning on merging the
1D and 1Ds families in the next generation. So at some point in the
next couple of years, expect a body that can do the full-frame,
high-res work of the 1Ds as well as the quick action work of the 1D.
--
Stephen M. Dunn
---------------- http://www.stevedunn.ca/ ----------------

I'm figuring that if it isn't the next 1Ds, it'll be the one after that...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 4th 05, 08:33 AM
DD

In article ,
says...
223rem wrote:
I very much want to buy a 20D, but I'd hate to buy it at $1200 and
then have Canon announce an improved 20D (probably at around $1500,

What do you guys think? Thanks!

I would expect the succesor to the 20D to be available at about the same
time the Nikon D200 is available.

Canon tends to make official announcements only a week or two prior to
the product being in stores, while Nikon usually pre-announces because
they are always playing catch-up with Canon.

I doubt if the 20D would be discontinued, they'd probably shift
everything down a couple of hundred dollars in street price.

350D $700
20D $1000
25D $1500

The other question is what the 25D might have in terms of improvements
over the 20D. I'd guess spot metering, and a 10 megapixel sensor. But
Canon has always been very concerned about high-ISO noise
characteristics, rather than just playing the megapixel game like Nikon,
and they aren't going to up the resolution if it destroys the low-noise
performance.

You're getting to the point where you need a larger sensor to keep the
noise at an acceptable level. If they could build a 1.3 crop factor
sensor camera that could use EF-s lenses then that would be an
intermediate camera between the 20D and the 5D.

I hope that the D200 has solved the noise issues that plagued the D70,
but those pixels have to be very small on the new Sony sensor.

Scharf, you are without doubt the dumbest sonofabitch to ever touch a
keyboard.

--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Old November 5th 05, 03:13 AM
SMS

Skip M wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

You're getting to the point where you need a larger sensor to keep the
noise at an acceptable level. If they could build a 1.3 crop factor sensor
camera that could use EF-s lenses then that would be an intermediate
camera between the 20D and the 5D.

Canon execs have already hinted that the 1.3x crop has a limited life
span...

Yes, I saw that too.

I hope that Canon can come up with a 20D successor that is as good in
terms of low noise at high ISO. Higher resolution at higher noise isn't
worth it, IMVAIO. Look at the D70, and all the complaints about moire
and noise. I'm sure that the D200 must have solved those issues, but
Nikon only mentioned that the moire had been solved.