Is Canon about to announce a 'second generation' 20D?

Old November 2nd 05, 03:29 AM
223rem

Default Is Canon about to announce a 'second generation' 20D?

I very much want to buy a 20D, but I'd hate to buy it at $1200 and
then have Canon announce an improved 20D (probably at around $1500,

What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old November 2nd 05, 04:39 AM
Skip M

"223rem" wrote in message
I very much want to buy a 20D, but I'd hate to buy it at $1200 and
then have Canon announce an improved 20D (probably at around $1500,

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Look for it in February, not Dec. It could be anything from a 20Dn (same
spec, larger LCD and something tweaked) to a 12mp 1.6x crop, 5fps, 60 frame
buffer. Remember, Canon has introduced cameras at different levels with the
same res, the 1D mkII hit with 8mp, followed by the 20D in short order with
the same 8mp, but smaller sensor. Then the 350/RebelXT, also at 8mp, so
it's not unreasonable to think the 20D successor might match the 5D for
res...but, then, 10mp isn't out of the question, either.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 2nd 05, 09:35 AM
Cockpit Colin

Slightly OT, but how far away is a successor to the 1Ds Mk II likely to be
(eg 20? 24? 32 MP version)?

Old November 2nd 05, 10:13 AM
David Littlewood

In article , Cockpit Colin
writes
Slightly OT, but how far away is a successor to the 1Ds Mk II likely to be
(eg 20? 24? 32 MP version)?

Personally, I would be more interested in seeing a MkIII (MkIIn?) which
was a little smaller and lighter, perhaps by using lithium batteries in
place of the bulky old-tech cells used by the MkII. I certainly would
not want to walk far with the MkII round my neck.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old November 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
SMS

223rem wrote:
I very much want to buy a 20D, but I'd hate to buy it at $1200 and
then have Canon announce an improved 20D (probably at around $1500,

What do you guys think? Thanks!

I would expect the succesor to the 20D to be available at about the same
time the Nikon D200 is available.

Canon tends to make official announcements only a week or two prior to
the product being in stores, while Nikon usually pre-announces because
they are always playing catch-up with Canon.

I doubt if the 20D would be discontinued, they'd probably shift
everything down a couple of hundred dollars in street price.

350D $700
20D $1000
25D $1500

The other question is what the 25D might have in terms of improvements
over the 20D. I'd guess spot metering, and a 10 megapixel sensor. But
Canon has always been very concerned about high-ISO noise
characteristics, rather than just playing the megapixel game like Nikon,
and they aren't going to up the resolution if it destroys the low-noise
performance.

You're getting to the point where you need a larger sensor to keep the
noise at an acceptable level. If they could build a 1.3 crop factor
sensor camera that could use EF-s lenses then that would be an
intermediate camera between the 20D and the 5D.

I hope that the D200 has solved the noise issues that plagued the D70,
but those pixels have to be very small on the new Sony sensor.
Old November 2nd 05, 08:34 PM
Skip M

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article , Cockpit Colin
writes
Slightly OT, but how far away is a successor to the 1Ds Mk II likely to be
(eg 20? 24? 32 MP version)?

Personally, I would be more interested in seeing a MkIII (MkIIn?) which
was a little smaller and lighter, perhaps by using lithium batteries in
place of the bulky old-tech cells used by the MkII. I certainly would not
want to walk far with the MkII round my neck.

David
--
David Littlewood

I'm betting on a 1Ds mkIIn, that is as much of an upgrade as the 1D mkIIn
was, than that would be followed by the 1D/1Ds successor/consolidator, the
one that eliminates the 1.3x crop and gives FF a high fps rate. Or combines
the two, like theD2x. Just guessing.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:47 PM
Stephen M. Dunn

In article SMS writes:
$I doubt if the 20D would be discontinued, they'd probably shift
$everything down a couple of hundred dollars in street price.

I disagree. Other than the low-end cameras (the Rebel family, in
this part of the world), Canon mostly discontinues the old body when
its successor comes out.

Anyway, I fully expect the 25D, or whatever it's called, to be
introduced prior to PMA in February. Canon usually times major
product announcements just prior to major shows, and that's the next
major show. It's also about the right amount of time after the
20D was introduced, given typical DSLR lifecycles.

$The other question is what the 25D might have in terms of improvements
$over the 20D. I'd guess spot metering, and a 10 megapixel sensor.

Probably more pixels, probably not spot metering. Canon has been
very consistent in not putting spot metering into advanced-amateur
bodies, both on the film side and the digital side. They reserve
spot metering for semi-pro (e.g. 5D, 3) and pro models.

The bigger LCD, seen on the 5D and 1D Mark IIN, is a no-brainer.
I'm guessing there will be a bigger buffer, too. It may have the
extra AF helper sensors of the 5D. Oh, and picture styles will
also make their way into the 25D.

$You're getting to the point where you need a larger sensor to keep the
$noise at an acceptable level. If they could build a 1.3 crop factor
$sensor camera that could use EF-s lenses then that would be an
$intermediate camera between the 20D and the 5D.

I doubt they can; the image circle is designed to cover the
1.6-crop sensor size and you'd probably get pretty serious vignetting.
There's also the issue of how far the rear element of the lens extends
into the body; a 1.3-crop body needs a bigger mirror and there may not
be sufficient clearance.
--
Stephen M. Dunn
---------------- http://www.stevedunn.ca/ ----------------

Old November 3rd 05, 12:01 AM
Wolfgang Weisselberg

223rem wrote:
I very much want to buy a 20D, but I'd hate to buy it at $1200 and
then have Canon announce an improved 20D (probably at around $1500,

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Whatever camera you buy, about next month a better one will be out,
and prices will have droppes anyway. So buy a good camera for
a reasonable price once you need it. Not earlier. Not later.
Get used to disappointment.

And remember: no camera, no pictures, it's as easy as that.

-Wolfgang
Old November 3rd 05, 12:44 AM
Skip M

"SMS" wrote in message

You're getting to the point where you need a larger sensor to keep the
noise at an acceptable level. If they could build a 1.3 crop factor sensor
camera that could use EF-s lenses then that would be an intermediate
camera between the 20D and the 5D.

Canon execs have already hinted that the 1.3x crop has a limited life
span...

Old November 3rd 05, 05:41 AM
Stephen M. Dunn

In article i3daf.4662$UF4.2711@fed1read02 "Skip M" writes:
$Canon execs have already hinted that the 1.3x crop has a limited life
$span...

More to the point, they've said they're planning on merging the
1D and 1Ds families in the next generation. So at some point in the
next couple of years, expect a body that can do the full-frame,
high-res work of the 1Ds as well as the quick action work of the 1D.
--
Stephen M. Dunn