tokina 80-200 f/2.8

Old January 24th 05, 12:14 AM
.::SuperBLUE::.

Default tokina 80-200 f/2.8

What do You think about this lens?
It would be my first and maybe only lens on a dslr. I am not sure which
dslr: Canon 300d, 20d or Nikon d70?
I am considering 300d because of money issues.

Old January 24th 05, 04:03 AM
Sheldon

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
What do You think about this lens?
It would be my first and maybe only lens on a dslr. I am not sure which
dslr: Canon 300d, 20d or Nikon d70?
I am considering 300d because of money issues.

Keep in mind that many dslr cameras have a 1.5 magnification ratio as the
image sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame. So, your new lens could wind up
as a 120-300 zoom. While an 80mm lens can be a great all around lens, I'm
not so sure I could live with a minimum of 120mm (as transposed to 35mm).

No comment on the Tokina brand.

Old January 24th 05, 04:12 AM
Michael Meissner

".::SuperBLUE::." writes:

What do You think about this lens?
It would be my first and maybe only lens on a dslr. I am not sure which
dslr: Canon 300d, 20d or Nikon d70?
I am considering 300d because of money issues.

From the specs, I would not consider it as a first lens, since it is only a
telephoto lens, and you wouldn't be able to shoot more normal subjects. Now,
in conjunction with the kit lens on your cameras, it probably is a decent
second lens (has high marks from reviews). Remember the focal length is before
multiplying by the so-called crop factor (1.5 for Nikon, 1.6 for Canon), which
means the field of view on Nikon would be 120-300mm.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old January 24th 05, 04:55 PM
Chuck

Keep in mind that many dslr cameras have a 1.5 magnification ratio as the
image sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame. So, your new lens could wind

up
as a 120-300 zoom.

false

it only gives you a smaller image. You dont get any zoom.

http://www.marius.org/fom-serve/cache/53.html

Old January 24th 05, 09:50 PM
DoN. Nichols

Chuck wrote:

Keep in mind that many dslr cameras have a 1.5 magnification ratio as the
image sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame. So, your new lens could wind

up
as a 120-300 zoom.

false

it only gives you a smaller image. You dont get any zoom.

Given that the lens in question started out life as a zoom
(80-200mm), unless you are claiming that some magic will *disable* the
optical zoom in the lens when on a DSLR, I don't see how your statement
could be accurate. And if you *are* so claiming -- please explain the
mechanism by which it accomplishes this.

Granted -- the range of focal length is still 80-200mm -- but
the field of view will be *equivalent* to a 120-300mm lens on a
full-frame 35mm camera --either a real film camera, or a DSLR which has
full frame sensor size. So -- for practical purposes, you will get the
same photo coverage as with the secondary focal length range suggested.
(Except that the lens will be *physically* smaller and lighter than one
needed to accomplish the same coverage on a full-frame 35mm.)

http://www.marius.org/fom-serve/cache/53.html

Note that he (in the web page) is talking about a fixed focal
length lens, where there *is* no zoom.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old January 24th 05, 11:57 PM
.::SuperBLUE::.

From the specs, I would not consider it as a first lens, since it is only

telephoto lens, and you wouldn't be able to shoot more normal subjects.

Now,
in conjunction with the kit lens on your cameras, it probably is a decent
second lens (has high marks from reviews). Remember the focal length is

before
multiplying by the so-called crop factor (1.5 for Nikon, 1.6 for Canon),

which
means the field of view on Nikon would be 120-300mm.

What are the typical photo applications below 80/128/120mm that this lens
couldnt do?
Second lens will be a 28-70 or similar.
Also, later kenko 3x, 2x, 1,4x, 0,5x converters.
50 mm normal fast original?

If money issues resolve, ((
400mm f/2.8 and
self built hi-end fast telephoto 2000mm+ f/5.6 or similar,...
Should I go on?
80 megapixel fairchild imaging ccd

Old January 25th 05, 12:25 AM
Chuck

I was replying to the 1.5 X mag.

Read again before waisting your time

Old January 25th 05, 02:05 PM
Michael Meissner

".::SuperBLUE::." writes:

From the specs, I would not consider it as a first lens, since it is only

telephoto lens, and you wouldn't be able to shoot more normal subjects.

Now,
in conjunction with the kit lens on your cameras, it probably is a decent
second lens (has high marks from reviews). Remember the focal length is

before
multiplying by the so-called crop factor (1.5 for Nikon, 1.6 for Canon),

which
means the field of view on Nikon would be 120-300mm.

What are the typical photo applications below 80/128/120mm that this lens
couldnt do?

What do you shoot now? Just about any camera you buy will typically come with
a lens that shoots at least equivalent to 30-70mm on a 35mm camera. This is
typically considered the normal range for cameras. If you only buy a 80-200mm
lens which gives a field of view equivalent to 120-300m on a Nikon system or a
128-320mm on a Canon system. If you only shoot things far away, then you might
be happy. I'm just suggesting making sure you have the standard ranges covered
also.

Second lens will be a 28-70 or similar.

Again because of the multiplier this is more of a telephoto lens than it would
be on a film camera (field of view 42-105 or 44-112). If telephoto floats your
boat, then fine (my Olympus C-2100UZ starts at the equivalent of 38mm, which is
usually fine), but if you want more wide angle then it isn't fine.

Also, later kenko 3x, 2x, 1,4x, 0,5x converters.
50 mm normal fast original?

Again remember the so-called crop factor.

If money issues resolve, ((
400mm f/2.8 and
self built hi-end fast telephoto 2000mm+ f/5.6 or similar,...
Should I go on?
80 megapixel fairchild imaging ccd

Dream on....

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old January 25th 05, 09:33 PM
.::SuperBLUE::.

Dream on....

What is life for if not for living it the way you want?
There is a cheap tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 lens.

Old January 30th 05, 03:12 AM
Sheldon

"Chuck" wrote in message
I was replying to the 1.5 X mag.

Read again before waisting your time

I'm the one who started this mess. You are absolutely correct in your
statement, but the fact is, as far as what you see through the viewfinder
and how the final image will look, you can't buy any zoom lens for a DSL and
assume it will be the equivalent to what you will see on a 35mm camera. As
I said, if you "assume" that your DSL is full frame with a full size image
sensor, and it is, an 80 to 200 lens is very handy indeed. However, if it's
going to be your only lens, and you are working with a 1.5 or 1.6
magnification ratio, due to the smaller image sensor, your minimum "usable"
focal length on that lens will be around 120mm. Everything outside of that
is wasted, even though it's there. And I, for one, would have trouble
working with a minimum of 120mm (the reality of the usable portion of the
image that lens produces).

This is the problem with DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses. You
can't be thinking 35mm when you purchase a lens. You have to think in terms
of the image sensor on "your" particular camera. And few cameras are 1:1,
and those ain't cheap -- so far. :-)