Camera in Miami-CSI

Old December 17th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Nixon

Default Camera in Miami-CSI

dcisive wrote:

Yep, and they all use the D200 (CSI Miami, New York and Las Vegas as well
as NCIS)

I love when you see them holding the camera out in front of their face as
though framing with the LCD, too. I mean, at least get the *basics* right.

Well, okay, the one girl on CSI (Vegas) uses a Nikon P&S, so it's okay then.

And don't get me started on the film-winder sound effects. Or my age-old
movie gripe, darkrooms always having *red* safe-lights.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 18th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message
dcisive wrote:

Yep, and they all use the D200 (CSI Miami, New York and Las Vegas as
well
as NCIS)

I love when you see them holding the camera out in front of their face as
though framing with the LCD, too. I mean, at least get the *basics*
right.

Well, okay, the one girl on CSI (Vegas) uses a Nikon P&S, so it's okay
then.

And don't get me started on the film-winder sound effects. Or my age-old
movie gripe, darkrooms always having *red* safe-lights.

How about getting you started on the software that can take a barely
perceptible image in a sideview car mirror and enlarge and enhance it in
order to clearly identify the person? Or better yet, the person's
reflection in the victim's eye that gets enlarged?

Old December 18th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Nixon

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

And don't get me started on the film-winder sound effects. Or my age-old
movie gripe, darkrooms always having *red* safe-lights.

How about getting you started on the software that can take a barely
perceptible image in a sideview car mirror and enlarge and enhance it in
order to clearly identify the person? Or better yet, the person's
reflection in the victim's eye that gets enlarged?

From a camera phone, no less! It does make one less than confident when
they get into areas one *doesn't* actually know about. Of course, CSI
Miami in particular is a show about sorcerers using their magical powers
to solve crime, so, whatever.

You can reconstruct a lot of detail in a still from multiple frames of
video, but they take it to a whole new level of nonsense, especially
with single still frames.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 18th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Jeremy Nixon :
dcisive wrote:

Yep, and they all use the D200 (CSI Miami, New York and Las Vegas as well
as NCIS)

I love when you see them holding the camera out in front of their face as
though framing with the LCD, too. I mean, at least get the *basics* right.

Well, okay, the one girl on CSI (Vegas) uses a Nikon P&S, so it's okay then.

And don't get me started on the film-winder sound effects.

Well ... I have a digital for which that is realistic. The
Kodak/Nikon NC2000e/c (a Nikon N90s film camera converted to digital by
a special back/sub-base from Kodak). Since the N90s has to wind the
"film" to re-cock the shutter, you are stuck with the noise, even when
the film is virtual. :-)

Or my age-old
movie gripe, darkrooms always having *red* safe-lights.

Well ... it depends on what period is being portrayed. Back
before Panchromatic B&W films and polycontrast print paper, that is what
you would use. And for color film there is no safe color light anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old December 18th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:09:12 +0000, Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

And don't get me started on the film-winder sound effects. Or my age-old
movie gripe, darkrooms always having *red* safe-lights.

How about getting you started on the software that can take a barely
perceptible image in a sideview car mirror and enlarge and enhance it in
order to clearly identify the person? Or better yet, the person's
reflection in the victim's eye that gets enlarged?

From a camera phone, no less! It does make one less than confident when
they get into areas one *doesn't* actually know about. Of course, CSI
Miami in particular is a show about sorcerers using their magical powers
to solve crime, so, whatever.

You can reconstruct a lot of detail in a still from multiple frames of
video, but they take it to a whole new level of nonsense, especially
with single still frames.

I understand that the CSI: shows tried very hard to get it right and
started taking heat from police agencies because they got it right enough
that criminals were learning useful things from the show, so perhaps
they've decided to deliberately make it less realistic.

Trivia item--Pauley Perrette, who plays the one and only CSI on "Navy
NCIS", has a master's degree in criminology. She actually knows what
she is supposed to be doing. She's also appeared on CSI, but not as an
investigator.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 26th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Hils

J. Clarke wrote

How about getting you started on the software that can take a barely
perceptible image in a sideview car mirror and enlarge and enhance it in
order to clearly identify the person? Or better yet, the person's
reflection in the victim's eye that gets enlarged?

From a camera phone, no less! It does make one less than confident when
they get into areas one *doesn't* actually know about. Of course, CSI
Miami in particular is a show about sorcerers using their magical powers
to solve crime, so, whatever.

I understand that the CSI: shows tried very hard to get it right and
started taking heat from police agencies because they got it right enough
that criminals were learning useful things from the show, so perhaps
they've decided to deliberately make it less realistic.

Perhaps they've been encouraged to err on the side of exaggerating the
abilities of investigators as a deterrent to would-be criminals. Have
you noticed how the investigators also always seem to tie up all the
loose ends and definitively identify the perps within a single shift?

--
Hil
Old December 26th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:43:58 +0000, Hils wrote:

J. Clarke wrote

How about getting you started on the software that can take a barely
perceptible image in a sideview car mirror and enlarge and enhance it in
order to clearly identify the person? Or better yet, the person's
reflection in the victim's eye that gets enlarged?

From a camera phone, no less! It does make one less than confident when
they get into areas one *doesn't* actually know about. Of course, CSI
Miami in particular is a show about sorcerers using their magical powers
to solve crime, so, whatever.

I understand that the CSI: shows tried very hard to get it right and
started taking heat from police agencies because they got it right enough
that criminals were learning useful things from the show, so perhaps
they've decided to deliberately make it less realistic.

Perhaps they've been encouraged to err on the side of exaggerating the
abilities of investigators as a deterrent to would-be criminals. Have
you noticed how the investigators also always seem to tie up all the
loose ends and definitively identify the perps within a single shift?

Yeah, and FBI always drops everything and gets them the information they
need within the hour and so on. Personally I'm chalking that up to
"artistic license"--if they ever did "CSI:The Soap Opera" (suprised they
haven't tried that one) they would have the leisure of realistic timing,
but trying to show weeks of investigation in a one hour show week after
week for years at a time I can see would be a strain on the writers.