Nikon D50 - no auto shutoff?

Old June 5th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikon D50 - no auto shutoff?

Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is there,
and I just can't find it in the manual?

Old June 5th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
3putt wrote:

Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is
there,
and I just can't find it in the manual?

The amount of power drain is minimal. The metering system and most other
functions do not draw power until you tap the shutter release to wake it
up.

I'd bet you could leave it on for several weeks and the battery would
still have a decent charge.

I keep forgetting to turn off my D70, and the battery charge has barely
dropped after a couple of days, if at all. You'll get used to it.

Old June 5th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

3putt wrote:
Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is there,
and I just can't find it in the manual?

The on/off switch on a DSLR is mostly superfluous. The battery drains
at the same rate whether it is on or off. Until you partially depress
the shutter or display something on the LCD on the back, the battery's
only function is running the LCD on top -- and that is on all the time
no matter where the on/off switch is set. Don't let the extra
information that appears when you turn the camera on fool you. That LCD
would draw the same power if it was completely blank.

Nikon says you should turn the camera off when changing certain lenses,
replacing the battery, or changing the memory card. Also, turning the
camera off prevents accidentally tripping the shutter.

Other than that, there is no harm in just leaving the thing on.
Automatic shutoff is one annoyance that DSLR users can do without.

Old June 5th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"3putt" wrote in message
Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is
there, and I just can't find it in the manual?

I think its a nice feature, always ready to go, virtually no lag at all.
With manual settings, just like my old SLR except for the lack of a diaphram
ring.

Old June 5th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"cjcampbell" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

3putt wrote:
Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought
that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is
there,
and I just can't find it in the manual?

The on/off switch on a DSLR is mostly superfluous. The battery drains
at the same rate whether it is on or off. Until you partially depress
the shutter or display something on the LCD on the back, the battery's
only function is running the LCD on top

This is not correct, the battery's function is also running the viewfinder.
But this is running still even when switching the camera to the off
position.
(Taking out the battery shows that the viewfinder needs the battery for
a clear vision).

The drain of the battery is 3 mA in the on and 2 mA in the off position,
there is hardly a difference.

Swithching off has the advantage that you can not trip the shutter by
accident, not other advantages in my oppinion.

ben

Old June 5th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

3putt wrote:
[...]

Yeah, was shooting one morning, stuffed the camera into the bag - on -
road a crowded ferry, with luggage. That night I looked at my pics, why
were there 20 or so blanks? Guess what just didn't turn off the camera,
with the lens cap on in the bag on auto probably were some long
exposures. Still hardly effected the battery at all.

Tom

Old June 5th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

3putt wrote:
Disappointed that the Nikon D50 will remain on. I would have thought that
there would be an automatic shutoff after x number of seconds. Or is there,
and I just can't find it in the manual?

Try leaving it on and putting it in your bag ... with a battery full charged.
Come back in two weeks and tell us what the battery indicator says. I bet you
won't care that the camera doesn't have an automatic shutoff. It isn't a
Canon product you know ... :-)

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old June 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ben Brugman wrote:

"cjcampbell" schreef in bericht

The on/off switch on a DSLR is mostly superfluous. The battery drains
at the same rate whether it is on or off. Until you partially depress
the shutter or display something on the LCD on the back, the battery's
only function is running the LCD on top

This is not correct, the battery's function is also running the viewfinder.
But this is running still even when switching the camera to the off
position.
(Taking out the battery shows that the viewfinder needs the battery for
a clear vision).

Hmm, I never noticed that!

Old June 9th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...
Ben Brugman wrote:

"cjcampbell" schreef in bericht
The on/off switch on a DSLR is mostly superfluous. The battery drains
at the same rate whether it is on or off. Until you partially depress
the shutter or display something on the LCD on the back, the battery's
only function is running the LCD on top

This is not correct, the battery's function is also running the
viewfinder.
But this is running still even when switching the camera to the off
position.
(Taking out the battery shows that the viewfinder needs the battery for
a clear vision).

Hmm, I never noticed that!

The drain of the battery is 3 mA in the on and 2 mA in the off position,
there is hardly a difference.

How about that !! I had to check, yup, its true !

Nevertheless, I seem to be able to go for days without switching batteries.