Old prime manual lenses on Nikon DSLRs?

Old October 31st 05, 07:49 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Default Old prime manual lenses on Nikon DSLRs?

Philip Homburg wrote:

Take a look at the price at which the D100 was introduced (around $2000
according to dpreview). Do you think that $100 would be a big problem for
the buyers of that camera?

No, but they would have thought it was.

Look at how many people get taken in by the bait-and-switch scam places
looking to save a hundred bucks on a purchase that large.

The thing is, we're not the people Nikon designed those cameras for.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 31st 05, 07:59 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Philip Homburg wrote:

Yeah right. People were so much smarter in the seventies.

I don't think there is even the most remote resemblance between the average
SLR buyer then and now. I don't even think the markets could be usefully
compared.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 31st 05, 12:18 PM
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Philip Homburg wrote:

Yeah right. People were so much smarter in the seventies.

I don't think there is even the most remote resemblance between the average
SLR buyer then and now. I don't even think the markets could be usefully
compared.

If camera manufactures can make a list of cameras design for stupid people,
then I know which models I should avoid.

Well, it doesn't really matter to me. I just wait until I can affort 2nd hand
professional cameras.

Old October 31st 05, 12:22 PM
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Philip Homburg wrote:

Well, EXIF info doesn't give aperture anyhow with non-CPU lenses. At least
not on a D1.

It does on a D2x, at least. I never used a D1.

I assume the D2X can only give aperture data for non-CPU lenses if
you set the lens data manually.

Old November 1st 05, 01:32 AM
Sheldon

"223rem" wrote in message
One can find very old, very cheap prime manual Nikon lenses on ebay,
and they're supposed to be compatible with the Nikon DSLRs.
Has anyone tried this combination?

I have several lenses that were converted to AI and work just fine on my
D70. I just think it's amazing that I can use all my old Nikon F lenses on
my new D70. I just have to meter manually, or guess, which is not that big
a deal.

Old November 24th 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
Jeremy Nixon writes:

rogers(dot)com" "gbuchana(a)rogers(dot)com" wrote:

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Basically, the non-electronic connection only works on Nikon's
"pro" DSLR bodies, and is left out of the consumer-level ones for
cost reasons.

I disagree. It is for market segmentation and planned
obsolescence.

I disagree. The wealth of great lenses available is one of the
biggest and most significant advantages Nikon has; if they could
bring that to the consumer level without what would be a significant
price increase for that market, they would be crazy not to. But if
it added $100 to the cost of a D70 that could be very bad for them.

Stop-down-metering would not cost them a penny (they just has to yank
the code that disables it from the firmware).

My Sigma SD10 meters just fine (stop-down metering) with all my old
Nikkors (both AI and pre-AI), so it is just incredible that the D70
will not do it.

Maybe Nikon wants to discourage non-pros from enjoying the surfeit of
relatively inexpensive old Nikon glass that's available on eBay.
While the robust secondary market for lenses is bound to keep lots of
folks using Nikon gear, all those old lenses sloshing around apply
downward pressure on new lens prices.
Old November 24th 05, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article ,
Kyle Jones wrote:
Maybe Nikon wants to discourage non-pros from enjoying the surfeit of
relatively inexpensive old Nikon glass that's available on eBay.
While the robust secondary market for lenses is bound to keep lots of
folks using Nikon gear, all those old lenses sloshing around apply
downward pressure on new lens prices.

Well, with the D200, it seems that Nikon has come to its senses. Full
color matrix metering on Ai lenses, just like the F6 and the D2X.

Old November 24th 05, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Kyle Jones" wrote in message
will not do it.

Maybe Nikon wants to discourage non-pros from enjoying the surfeit of
relatively inexpensive old Nikon glass that's available on eBay.
While the robust secondary market for lenses is bound to keep lots of
folks using Nikon gear, all those old lenses sloshing around apply
downward pressure on new lens prices.

Well, since Nikon did it long before the first digital when they made the
N75/N85 (and I think the N55/65 too), it's definitely a pro/amateur
dichotomy and not anything aimed specifically at any specific segment of the
digital market. It's one of the reasons I ditched my N75 for a second N90.

Norm

Old November 25th 05, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Philip Homburg wrote:
The buyers of the D100 were stupid consumers who just wanted to blow
$2000 on a toy.

Nonsense. The D100 was very popular with news photographers. In fact,
every D100 I have ever seen outside of a camera store was in the hands
of a news photographer. The D100 had everything the news photographer
needs: light weight, built like it was meant to be used to jack up
tanks, resolution good enough for the newspapers, and a good selection
of lenses. Plus, it was cheap for its day.