Why I love digital

Old March 28th 05, 04:52 AM
Matt Silberstein

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:31:47 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , "Mark Lauter"
in
wrote:

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning, the EXIF
data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it should!

My exif data really tweaked me the other day. It said "reason for bad
photo: photographer sucks" g

I live for the day when mine says I suck. Oh, to be that good.

--
Matt Silberstein

Old March 28th 05, 05:00 AM
Larry

In article , j.t.r.u..p.i..n...
@speakeasy.net says...
You use flash for shooting horses? YOU'RE GONNA CAUSE A STAMPEDE!

My daughter's stables has the signs all over. "No flash photography." Then
they sell ISO200 disposable cams in the front of the dark, sodium-lit indoor
ring. Makes no sense to me.

First I need to clarify that I am in the ring at the request of these riders.
Under the ring rules of the Associations I do Photos for, Im not allowed in
the ring unless Im invited.

I shoot at "A" circuit horse shows where the horse is expected to be under
the control of the rider at ALL times. Horses aren't generaly spooked by
Camera flashes (even the REALLY big bright ones) but they CAN be spooked by a
rider who jumps or jerks on him when the flash goes off.

In one of these shows, if a horse jumps, lurches visibly, or does anything
dangerous at all, the judge or judges will stop the class and ask the rider
to go to the center of the ring (or to leave the ring if the rider seems to
not have regained control) The rider will be disqualified for that class.
Most of the riders in these classes wont enter the ring unless they have full
confidence that the horse will remain calm under ALL circumstances.

I have been shooting in the ring for quite a few years, probably over a
thousand classes total. I have NEVER had a horse spook from the flash, or had
a rider complain.

I am however, shooting from INSIDE the ring getting a side-on shot most of
the time. I never shoot directly into the horses face, unless Im doing a
head-on shot that the rider requested.

A horse will spook if a small animal runs in front of it, because in nature,
they can get EATEN by small animals that attack.

A horse will spook from loud noises, because in nature its best that they run
away from loud noises (like the roar of a mountain lion).

There is nothing in nature that includes a bright flash of light that a horse
is naturally affraid of, (lightning can kill them but they are affraid of the
thunder NOT the flash of light) so they tend NOT to spook at flashguns. They
WILL spook from the reaction of an un-trained or badly trained rider.

There are MANY stables all over the country that have those signs.. They are
the result of riders and stable owners blaming the horse, when they havent
been trained to maintain control.

(I only got into photographing horses because I've been breeding, training, &
riding all my life)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old March 28th 05, 06:27 AM
John Francis

Ron Hunter wrote:

I suspect most
of those great sports action shots you see are selected from a burst set.

I am constantly amazed that people believe that a machine-gun approach
is the way to get the perfectly-timed shot. Even the fastest continuous
shooting cameras can only manage 10 frames per second, which many you're
likely to be 1/20 of a second off the optimum moment (and considerably
more if you are using a camera with a slower frame rate).

Manual selection of "the decisive moment" can do much better than that.

Old March 28th 05, 06:30 AM
John Francis

Ron Hunter wrote:

Oh, give me a BREAK. Two tenths of a second? You won't notice.

Oh yes we will.

With a top-of-the-line camera (EOS-1v, 1DS Mk II, etc.) we'll have one
shot in the bank, and be ready to take the next one, in 2/10 of a second.
Old March 28th 05, 07:21 AM
Ron Hunter

Mark Lauter wrote:
See here why it's a good idea to switch to digital:
(from http://www.largeformatphotography.info/pollack.html )

Because you don't want high quality images? Any idea how many megapixels it
would take to equal the information stored in an analog 8x10 inch negative??

Yes, and I know a troll when I see one.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 28th 05, 07:23 AM
Ron Hunter

Mark Lauter wrote:
So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

Yep. I've got a nice stable plane with a little window I can flip down and
stick the lens out. It pretty much flies hands off even in somewhat bumpy
air.

Yeah and it will pretty much fly smack right into another plane if you
aren't paying attention. You need to maintain positive control of the
aircraft at all times. Perhaps you can take a friend along - I call my
buddy Dave my automatic picture machine. I point to things and he shoots
the photos while I fly safely. Or if you prefer find a buddy pilot to fly
while you shoot. In either case the workload is greater than you should
handle alone - ever wonder why commercial airlines use 2 pilots?

I thought that was so that if one died from the airline food, the other
could land the plane... Grin.

BTW - I'm a volunteer FAA safety counselor. Consider yourself whacked in
the head with a dead fish - WHACK!

With that said, I love aerial photos and can't wait to see them when you
post.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 28th 05, 07:24 AM
Ron Hunter

John Francis wrote:
In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

Oh, give me a BREAK. Two tenths of a second? You won't notice.

Oh yes we will.

With a top-of-the-line camera (EOS-1v, 1DS Mk II, etc.) we'll have one
shot in the bank, and be ready to take the next one, in 2/10 of a second.

I guess it's old age then, but I can't press the button twice in .2
seconds.... Let alone see, and evaluate a scene.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 28th 05, 07:32 AM
Scott W

Ron Hunter wrote:
Mark Lauter wrote:
[...]

Not if they both have the fish.

Scott

Old March 28th 05, 07:57 AM
Rob

mike regish wrote:
I usually resize mine to 800x600 jpegs at 72 dpi. You can get quite a few in
10 megs that way.

mike

Whats the 72dpi bit then if its 800x600 pixels?

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Posting a few digital images will exhaust 10 meg of storage in minutes!

--
Ron Hunter