How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one's copyright?

Old October 10th 17, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one's copyright?

In article ,
micky wrote:

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 20:39:28 +0200, android

micky wrote:

How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I don't know that anything I have is worth anything financially but I do
want the credit. My name or my father's name accompanying every
properly used use of the photo.

Right now, two things are on the horizon. I'm transcribing my father's
trip diary from a trip he took in 1936, and I'm scanning the photos he
took on the trip.

I'm his only surviving heir. And my mother left everything he left her
to me. Does that mean I myself have any rights regarding these things?

Even if I have no rights to the pictures, since no one can get into my
house and copy them, I have the vague idea that I'd have rights to the
scanned copy I plan to make of them, for posting online, and that those
rights would last as long and be as strong as if I'd taken the pictures
myself. Am I right at all?

And how do I post these pictures and the separate text to Instagram,
Imgur, or Flickr without losing my copyrights?

In real life terms you can't:

"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or
through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a
non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable,
sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or
through the Service, subject to the Service's Privacy Policy"

The wordings may have been changed but hardly the practical implications.

I was afraid of that. Is there any way before I post it to write over
in the corner of the pictures my father's name or my name? And the
copyright symbol?

That would not make your rights exclusive. And:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/g...utomatically-a
nd-perfectly-erase-watermarks-on-stock-photos/ Or:

http://tinyurl.com/y88mrfvx

I hate writing things in the corner and when it was chemical and not
reversible, I never put the date in the corner of a picture. I think it
ruins the art. But most of these pictures are more about history than
art anyhow. Come to think of it, they should have the date printed on
them too, for the record, and if I'm going to do that, I can put my
father's name, assuming there is a method not too expensive to do that.

I think there are between 40 and 80 photographs.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+watermark+software&ia=images

http://www.copyrightlaws.com/instagr...are-the-terms-
of-use/

For Erich:

http://tinyurl.com/ybws4hb8

Mo

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=instagram+copyright&ia=web

--
teleportation kills
Old October 10th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or
through the Service.

in other words, you retain the copyright.

Not as understood by most folks since they get to use and sell them as
they please.

no they can't sell them as they please.

Yes, they can. Reread the quoted stuff...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 10th 17, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on
or through the Service.

in other words, you retain the copyright.

Not as understood by most folks since they get to use and sell them as
they please.

no they can't sell them as they please.

Yes, they can. Reread the quoted stuff...

they 'can' but they're breaking the law if they do.
Old October 10th 17, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on
or through the Service.

in other words, you retain the copyright.

Not as understood by most folks since they get to use and sell them as
they please.

no they can't sell them as they please.

Yes, they can. Reread the quoted stuff...

they 'can' but they're breaking the law if they do.

not since you give them a non exclusive license to use and sell your
pictures...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 10th 17, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:10:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

I was afraid of that. Is there any way before I post it to write over
in the corner of the pictures my father's name or my name? And the
copyright symbol?

It turns out that MS Paint does a good job. I've used it before but
not for this.

I hate writing things in the corner and when it was chemical and not
reversible, I never put the date in the corner of a picture. I think it
ruins the art. But most of these pictures are more about history than
art anyhow. Come to think of it, they should have the date printed on
them too, for the record, and if I'm going to do that, I can put my
father's name, assuming there is a method not too expensive to do that.

I think there are between 40 and 80 photographs.

I have to do one at a time, but there aren't many.

Just click on the Text insertion point, then click inside the picture,
and then paste my pre-written text, much of which will be the same from
one instance to another (father's name, month, year) and one line will
give the location.
Old October 10th 17, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , micky
wrote:

I was afraid of that. Is there any way before I post it to write over
in the corner of the pictures my father's name or my name? And the
copyright symbol?

It turns out that MS Paint does a good job. I've used it before but
not for this.

you must be joking

I hate writing things in the corner and when it was chemical and not
reversible, I never put the date in the corner of a picture. I think it
ruins the art. But most of these pictures are more about history than
art anyhow. Come to think of it, they should have the date printed on
them too, for the record, and if I'm going to do that, I can put my
father's name, assuming there is a method not too expensive to do that.

I think there are between 40 and 80 photographs.

I have to do one at a time, but there aren't many.

Just click on the Text insertion point, then click inside the picture,
and then paste my pre-written text, much of which will be the same from
one instance to another (father's name, month, year) and one line will
give the location.

batch it.
Old October 10th 17, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 06:25:44 +0200, android

micky wrote:

[...]

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/google-found-a-way-to-automatically-and-perfectly-erase-watermarks-on-stock-photos/ Or:

This was just 6 weeks ago. They must have known I was working on this.

OH, I read the article to the end. I guess I'm safe. I'll modify my
watermarks just a little bit. 7

http://tinyurl.com/y88mrfvx

I hate writing things in the corner and when it was chemical and not
reversible, I never put the date in the corner of a picture. I think it
ruins the art. But most of these pictures are more about history than
art anyhow. Come to think of it, they should have the date printed on
them too, for the record, and if I'm going to do that, I can put my
father's name, assuming there is a method not too expensive to do that.

I think there are between 40 and 80 photographs.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+watermark+software&ia=images

http://www.copyrightlaws.com/instagr...are-the-terms-
of-use/

For Erich:

http://tinyurl.com/ybws4hb8

Mo

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=instagram+copyright&ia=web

Thanks.
Old October 10th 17, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
Unlike some other folk here, I understand enough about the subject, to
know that I am not an expert on copyright law.

Exactly so. It's not much of an issue for me as a photographer, as I
display on the Internet under a Creative Commons license‹and I display
only my own work. But my wife is a writer and she devotes considerable
effort to ensuring that her works do not include material owned by
others. Current question: "riddles." A book she's working on contains
some riddles. Or it will if she can establish that they are merely
popular lore and not the copyrighted work of an author/joke writer.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 10th 17, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Davoud
wrote:

PeterN:
Unlike some other folk here, I understand enough about the subject, to
know that I am not an expert on copyright law.

Exactly so. It's not much of an issue for me as a photographer, as I
display on the Internet under a Creative Commons license‹and I display
only my own work. But my wife is a writer and she devotes considerable
effort to ensuring that her works do not include material owned by
others. Current question: "riddles." A book she's working on contains
some riddles. Or it will if she can establish that they are merely
popular lore and not the copyrighted work of an author/joke writer.

Most copyright expire after 70 years but it would still be fraud
claiming older work as your own and thus stealing copyrights for for
another 70 or something years. Any work cited to such an extent that
make copyright come into play should thus be attributed as correctly
both in time and to author as possibly. You do as always have the
citation rights, of course...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 10th 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 01:29:22 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 21:35:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:51:25 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 9, 2017, micky wrote
(in ):

How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I seriously doubt that you will have much protection if you use Instagram, or
Imgur regardless of what might be stated in their terms of service. Using
ether of those and you are effectively surrendering any rights you might
hold.

https://help.instagram.com/478745558852511

https://imgur.com/tos

Flickr, and other sites such as Smugmug probably afford you better protection
of your rights, but that does not mean that they will not be vulnerable to
image poachers.

https://www.flickr.com/services/api/tos/

The protection in SmugMug is up to the user. When I create a gallery
I check off a number of preferences in "Settings". One of them is in
"Photo Protection" and it allows me to enable or disable "Downloads".

While I allow downloads, I'm under no illusion that disabling
downloads would totally prevent anyone from grabbing my photo. I
don't watermark

By watermark, you're including both dim images and clearly-visible ones?

By "watermark" I mean adding anything intended to prevent someone from
being able to use the photo as shot. It's usually done in digital
images by superimposing some image - either just diagonal lines, text,
or a design - over the original image and reducing the opacity of the
layer.

The term comes from the paper industry, not from photography, and has
been done since the 11th Century. Watermarks were originally produced
by stamping the paper when it was still wet in the manufacturing
process so the resulting change in the thickness of the paper created
a shadow image.

I wondered how they did that.

When you held up a sheet of good quality paper to the
light you'd see "20% Rag Content" as a watermark.

Back when it was popular to have studio portraits taken, the studio
would provide a selection of photos and the customer would choose
which ones to print and at what size to print them. The photos in the
selection would have PROOF in large letters on each selection so you'd
have to pay them for a print without that. That was functionally a
watermark.

I remember those days. Was it before that or after that that the
proofs would fade away, I guess because they didn't use fixer.

Now, I watch one TV court show and suits between brides and
photographers are not rare, often when the photographer is an amateur
trying to become a pro. But I don't think any cases involve
watermarks.

or add a copyright text line to my photographs,
either.

If some stranger wants to appropriate one of my photos, I don't give a
rat's ass. If he can't do better than I can on my own, he needs all
the help he can get.

As I worked on this thread, I realized that it would be great if any of
them got recirculated, and all I want is my father's name or mine, the
month, and the year in a corner of the picture. Which is the best
corner?=

Just add text to photograph that identifies you or the subject and the
date taken. Locate it anywhere on the photo where it is not
intrusive.

If you don't have Photoshop, the free FastStone Image Viewer (
http://www.faststone.org/ ) allows you to add text in caption form to
a photograph using the Draw Board. The caption is then embedded in
the photo.

Thanks. I'll try it.

I just did this in FastStone as a demo.
https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...O/ABC-1942.jpg

That is me, but I have no idea what the kitten's name was, but you
seem to like "Fluffy" so I used that.

Fluffy is a good name for a kitten. I'd forgotten that you lived in
Indiapolis, where I lived from age 10 to 18. You're also older than I
am, I see. (I'm 70.)