bracket with raw - 350d

Old August 19th 05, 05:21 AM
Brian

Default bracket with raw - 350d

Does anyone know if you can bracket exposures when shooting in raw
format? I don't have the camera yet, that's why I'm asking...

Thanks, Brian

Old August 19th 05, 12:55 PM
Alan Browne

Brian wrote:

Does anyone know if you can bracket exposures when shooting in raw
format? I don't have the camera yet, that's why I'm asking...

Sure. OTOH, get the higlights right and avoid bracketing altogether.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 19th 05, 02:32 PM
kz8rt3

Alan Browne wrote:

Brian wrote:

Does anyone know if you can bracket exposures when shooting in raw
format? I don't have the camera yet, that's why I'm asking...

Sure. OTOH, get the higlights right and avoid bracketing altogether.

Yes, for digital the rule is "Expose for the highlights and develop for
the shadows".

However, I know this is a digital group I want to point out
misconceptions about film exposure I have see floating around web pages.

For B&W Film you "expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights". For Color film you "Expose for the highlights and develop
for the shadows".

But sometimes it is an artistic expression to blowout the highlights. As
it is with bracketing.
Old August 19th 05, 04:59 PM
wilt

For B&W Film you "expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights". For Color film you "Expose for the highlights and develop
for the shadows".

Well, not exactly. For color SLIDE you expose for the highlights to
prevent blown out details. For color NEG, you expose for the shadows
or the colors get muddy fast.

Old August 19th 05, 05:34 PM
Brian

Sometimes there's too much dynamic range in a scene to "get the
highlights right and avoid bracketing" - but if it's possible, I would
definately do so in those situations. I was interested because there
are some scenes that -2, 0, and +2 would guarantee that I had enough
range to work with and if it could be done automatically (it can't in
my current camera) that would be great!

Anyway, good to know!

Old August 19th 05, 10:18 PM

In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Brian wrote:

Does anyone know if you can bracket exposures when shooting in raw
format? I don't have the camera yet, that's why I'm asking...

Sure. OTOH, get the higlights right and avoid bracketing altogether.

.... and bracket to get the highlights right?
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 19th 05, 10:53 PM
kz8rt3

In article .com,
"wilt" wrote:

For B&W Film you "expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights". For Color film you "Expose for the highlights and develop
for the shadows".

Well, not exactly. For color SLIDE you expose for the highlights to
prevent blown out details. For color NEG, you expose for the shadows
or the colors get muddy fast.

Yup. Thanks from everyone for the correction.

Regards,
Slide wonk.
Old August 20th 05, 01:55 AM
Alan Browne

kz8rt3 wrote:

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Brian wrote:

Does anyone know if you can bracket exposures when shooting in raw
format? I don't have the camera yet, that's why I'm asking...

Sure. OTOH, get the higlights right and avoid bracketing altogether.

Yes, for digital the rule is "Expose for the highlights and develop for
the shadows".

However, I know this is a digital group I want to point out
misconceptions about film exposure I have see floating around web pages.

For B&W Film you "expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights". For Color film you "Expose for the highlights and develop
for the shadows".

But sometimes it is an artistic expression to blowout the highlights. As
it is with bracketing.

Well, it's actually:

for reversal (slide) film: expose for the highlights.
for negative film: expose for the shaddows.
for B&W as you say above.

for digital, it's like slide film except that most cameras don't have
much highlight room above mid tone. For my Maxxum 7D it's about 1.3 to
1.7 stops (I still haven't settled on a rule because it's so east to
chimp out any blown highlights ... perhaps to exageration).

What I haven't yet calibrated is the mapping from my Maxxum 7D to my
Maxxum 9 shooting slide film. (+ incident meter).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.