DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Old November 15th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars
indicate the beginning of the end?

Old November 15th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars
indicate the beginning of the end?

All it indicates is that most people are pigheaded idiots who can never
stop long enough to take off their blinders.
Old November 15th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Irwin

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

Except that most of the anti-DSLR stuff seems to be by
one person with many names.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

I have no partisanship in the matter - I still use film.

But I did feel it important to note that the claim that
getting the same DOF in macro work on a large sensor
as a small one results in greater diffraction problems
with the large sensor is wrong.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars
indicate the beginning of the end?

One person with many names does not actually constitute
a mass movement.

Peter.

Old November 15th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

What flame wars? What's to discuss? For some uses and needs you use one
tool. Other times, you use another tool. What controversy?

What, exactly, do you see coming to an end? And why is the workflow an
issue?

Sorry, but this is a very odd post.

Old November 15th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars
indicate the beginning of the end?

Most people are better off using a P&S. If you use a DSLR and regulary
change lens, sooner or later you will need to clean the sensor (or sensor
filter) and air/brushes won't always do the job. From the standpoint of
ease of use the P&S is the camera for most people.

However, some of us like lugging heavier cameras and lens around and love to
get out the pec-pads and eclipse to clean the sensor filter from time to
time.

Ron

Old November 15th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

Matt Ion wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

P&S vs DSLR is not like film vs digital. In the final analysis
digital beats film, period, no quibble, all else being equal (i.e
not comparing an 8x10 inch film camera to an 8x10 mm P&S sensor).

The P&S/DSLR flame wars can go on forever, because the performance
properties of the two genres DO overlap, and, for equal money,
will overlap a very large amount.

Doug McDonald
Old November 15th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Doug McDonald wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

P&S vs DSLR is not like film vs digital. In the final analysis
digital beats film, period, no quibble, all else being equal (i.e
not comparing an 8x10 inch film camera to an 8x10 mm P&S sensor).

The P&S/DSLR flame wars can go on forever, because the performance
properties of the two genres DO overlap, and, for equal money,
will overlap a very large amount.

It's a ridiculous argument anyway. Cameras are nothing more than tools,
and both "styles" (and everything in between) have their own place in
the market. I love the flexibility I get with an SLR (digital or
otherwise), but there are times I just find it too bulky and wish I had
a good pocket camera.

It's like arguing over whether a compact car is better than a dump
truck... well... what are you planning to do with it? You can't haul
five tons of gravel with a Mini, but just try parallel-parking a Mack
truck downtown...
Old November 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:03:18 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams
occupy a plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate
of the last many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because
they don't have a lot of firm evidence that their workflow
is superior, except at high ISO or some arcane usage.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars
indicate the beginning of the end?

IMHO - you're attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill. They are
different products filling different needs and, to a large extent,
marketed at different audiences. There is definitely room in the world for
both. I'm simply glad to have the choice.

Old November 15th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_4_]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:03:18 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Arguments over relative merits of DSLR vs P&S digicams occupy a
plurality of current traffic volume on r.p.d.

In many ways it reminds me of the film vs digital debate of the last
many years.

DSLR partisans seem like the defenders of film, because they don't have
a lot of firm evidence that their workflow is superior, except at high
ISO or some arcane usage.

I know DSLRs are selling well, but do these flame wars indicate the
beginning of the end?

Actually Bill... It's all a game. I post a picture and the trolls lift
their heads from slumber and generate traffic to low volume news groups.
This way it makes it easy to seperate the chaff from the hay, so to speak.

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 15th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

It's a ridiculous argument anyway. Cameras are nothing more than tools,
and both "styles" (and everything in between) have their own place in the
market. I love the flexibility I get with an SLR (digital or otherwise),
but there are times I just find it too bulky and wish I had a good pocket
camera.

Me too. But I've been spoiled by the speed of the DSLR and the quality of
the stuff from the it. I look at the output from the Canon G5 and it's good,
but the focus lag is too much too bear. When I read of a compact that has
the speed of a DSLR I may well get the wallet out.

And when I can get a waist level finder (pivoting screen) on a (Canon
because I have the lenses) DSLR, I will also get the wallet out.

We are the lucky generation, we have a terrific choice of excellent gear.

I'm off back to my computer made panoramas.

John