Microsoft JPEG Hoax!

Old September 22nd 04, 02:32 AM
dj_nme

Frank ess wrote:
Don F wrote:

snip

--------
I just tried opening the test jpg and received the following
message:
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience."

Only the message ... no shutdown ... no crash. I also use Win
Pro. Could the problem be OS dependent?

When MSIE6 saw the test image it gave that message and asked for
information, please. Once the information had been transmitted, MSIE
closed.

When Opera6 saw it, it opened and displayed with no comment or problem.

Both in WinXP Home with all patches up to but not including the Massive
Patch 2.

--
Frank ess

It seems to be totaly browser dependant.
I have IE 4.0 and Mozilla 1.7a on Win98SE.
IE shows an error (with the option of "close" or "details").
Mozilla just shows the pic of the smiling woman with no problems.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
Jeff M.

no wonder IE crashes, that bitch is ****in ugly!!
Old September 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
Jeff M.

no wonder IE crashes, that bitch is ****in ugly!!
Old September 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
Jeff M.

no wonder IE crashes, that bitch is ****in ugly!!
Old September 22nd 04, 05:23 AM
Jer

Guido Vollbeding wrote:

Hi

Microsoft has recently started a campaign to update their software
for an error in JPEG processing:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-028
Buffer Overrun in JPEG Processing (GDI+)
Could Allow Code Execution (833987):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-028.mspx

They claim that after the update their software is secure.
However, this is WRONG!
The reason is that they don't fix another fatal JPEG processing
error in their software which is known for years and which can
be reproduced by trying to open the following image file with
Microsoft Explorer or other softwa

http://sylvana.net/test/AP4.jpg

Opening this image file with faulty JPEG software can crash the
application or even the system!
The error was solved in 1998 with release 6b of the Independent
JPEG Group software, but there are still many applications in
use, like Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which haven't been
updated and thus crash with this error.
Software based on IJG's v6b JPEG software library, which
is available since 1998, is not affected by this problem.

Regards
Guido

On WinXP SP1, Nutscrape 7.2 okay, MS Internet Exploder 6.0 exploded.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Old September 22nd 04, 08:41 AM
Guido Vollbeding

Bob wrote:

BTW do you know why windows can't show some jpegs in the 'thumbnail view'
in windows explorer??

No, sorry, I don't know all the mysteries of windows...

Regards
Guido