Put your Canon Glass to Use With Your iPhone!

Old May 11th 18, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Put your Canon Glass to Use With Your iPhone!

http://www.canonrumors.com/well-here...r-canon-glass/

--
teleportation kills

Old May 15th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 11/05/2018 05:50, android wrote:
http://www.canonrumors.com/well-here...r-canon-glass/

Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Back to the classic Bert Hardy "Box Brownie" demonstration, it is the
photographer who takes the picture, not the camera!

---

Old May 16th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

newshound:
Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Indeed, they do. Why would it pain you to say so? Do you dislike the
notion that vast numbers of people around the world can have a
high-quality, all-in-one still and video camera on the persons wherever
they go?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old May 16th 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 5/15/2018 7:10 PM, Davoud wrote:
newshound:
Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Indeed, they do. Why would it pain you to say so? Do you dislike the
notion that vast numbers of people around the world can have a
high-quality, all-in-one still and video camera on the persons wherever
they go?

Ah yes, quantity vs quality. Been seeing a lot of that in the
music industry for some time now. Hmm, also seen with TV
along the lines of 500 channels and nothing worth watching.

[YMMV]
--
==
Later...

Old May 16th 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 16/05/2018 00:10, Davoud wrote:
newshound:
Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Indeed, they do. Why would it pain you to say so? Do you dislike the
notion that vast numbers of people around the world can have a
high-quality, all-in-one still and video camera on the persons wherever
they go?

:-)

Because I am an old fart, who sometimes used to manage to hand-hold at
1/8 second when using Kodachrome II at 25 ASA. Using a proper viewfinder
first of all cuts off some extraneous light and lets you frame the image
better (including getting the horizon horizontal) and helps you to hold
the camera steady. I don't think I would ever buy a camera without a
viewfinder, although I will admit to framing and focussing from the back
screen when doing macro work.

It's not exactly *dislike*, more a mild envy that for most of my life it
required much more technique to get a decent picture on 35 mm!

It is quite nice though to see just what resolution people could get on
plate cameras 100 years ago or more, even if they needed half a second
exposures in full sunlight.

:-)

---

Old May 16th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

newshound:
Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Davoud:
Indeed, they do. Why would it pain you to say so? Do you dislike the
notion that vast numbers of people around the world can have a
high-quality, all-in-one still and video camera on the persons wherever
they go?

Ron C:
Ah yes, quantity vs quality. Been seeing a lot of that in the
music industry for some time now. Hmm, also seen with TV
along the lines of 500 channels and nothing worth watching.

[YMMV]

Being a bit snooty, aren't we? My mileage has varied a great deal. It's
not quantity vs quality; for hundreds of millions of people it's camera
vs no camera. And an awful lot of those people are taking great
pictures. These, e.g.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...one-photos-of-
2017_us_5953d2aee4b05c37bb7b3e8f.

And in video, the Oscar-winning movie shot in part on an iPhone
https://nofilmschool.com/2013/03/oscar-searching-sugar-man-shot-iphone.

So stow the smugness. It's still the photographer, not the camera.

Old May 16th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

newshound:
It is quite nice though to see just what resolution people could get on
plate cameras 100 years ago or more, even if they needed half a second
exposures in full sunlight.

Yeah, almost as good as a cheap DSLR these days, and with a lot less
fighting the camera and the glass plates.

Old May 17th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 5/16/2018 6:23 PM, Davoud wrote:
newshound:
[...]

I was thinking more of the psycho-social impact where the experience
is being supplanted by the need to document. I have no problem with
great, or even spectacular photos are frequently captured on a phone.
I do worry a bit about the seeming obsession to document life rather
than live it in real time.
--
Later...
Ron C

Old May 17th 18, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ron C:
[...]

Do you really think that's an issue with the hundreds of millions of
people around the world--especially the poor--whose lives have been
enriched by smartphones and their cameras? I don't see it. I just see
people living their lives pretty much as always.

Old May 17th 18, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

newshound:
Much as it pains me to say so, you have to admit that if you are only
viewing on a good PC monitor or ordinary HD TV, phone sensors and
processors do a pretty good job these days.

Davoud:
Indeed, they do. Why would it pain you to say so? Do you dislike the
notion that vast numbers of people around the world can have a
high-quality, all-in-one still and video camera on the persons wherever
they go?

newshound:
It's not exactly *dislike*, more a mild envy that for most of my life it
required much more technique to get a decent picture on 35 mm!

Get over it. It sounds to me like you begrudge people the ability to
make nice, meaningful photos easily with a smartphone.