35mm film VS digital

Old August 27th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Donahue

Default 35mm film VS digital

Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO, the current crop
of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at least color print film. (Remember
grain? I was never satisfied with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

--
Bob D.

Old August 27th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Böwser[_2_]

"Bob Donahue" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO, the current
crop of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at least color print film.
(Remember grain? I was never satisfied with 8x10s blown up from 35mm
film.)

No 35mm film camera I ever used can touch the 5D. And, if the 50D delivers
as promised, the gap will grow even more.

The difference is there at ISO 100, but by ISO 800 digital absolutely blows
film out of the water.

Old August 27th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"RoushPhotoOnline.com" wrote:
Digital Images have allowed us to view first generation files,

I repectfully disagree.

First of all you cannot view RAW sensor data. They need to be processed
into some picture format, very often JPEG. So your JPEG file is already
second generation.
And second you cannot view the JPEG file directly, either. It is either
printed on some paper or displayed on a display device like a CRT or LCD
or projector. Thus what you are seeing is third generation at best.

jue
Old August 27th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RustY ©

"Bob Donahue" wrote in message
. ..

........I was never satisfied with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)
--

You need to change your colour lab Bobby boy - seriously.

Old August 27th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Jürgen Exner
writes
"RoushPhotoOnline.com" wrote:
Digital Images have allowed us to view first generation files,

I repectfully disagree.

First of all you cannot view RAW sensor data.

Yes you can,. I use my RAW processor for that. I can view the RAW data
in the RAW processor. Then after I have made changes I can process it
into a JPG, TIFF PNG etc at various standards of resolution, size etc.

They need to be processed
into some picture format, very often JPEG. So your JPEG file is already
second generation.

No the resultant JPEG/TIFF/PNG is second generation. However I get to
chose the parameters far more than you can in a dark room.

If you screw up the developing you can't go back

Old August 27th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LGLA[_2_]

"Bob Donahue" wrote in message . ..
Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO, the current crop
of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at least color print film. (Remember
grain? I was never satisfied with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

--
Bob D.

To almost everyone's replies...

It is interesting how you make the difference into a hot sport of only seeking
the best of perfection you can find in what you do, and racing_it_up that digital
is the answer in all of it's perfection capabilities... does anyone remember "art"
and the artististic capabilities of film photography? I personally can and yet
cannot justify the digital application of such effects as to being unnatural and
artificial, as well as too easily done... "apply filter effect"... done. I have seen
printed digital photographic art in galleries and online and in magazines and I
think it is mundane, boring and obvious no matter how fantastic it is.

What is acceptable 'to me' is the developing and scanning of film, that level of
digital and not much more.

IMO digital slr is for business imagery including weddings, wildlife, sports, war,
and journalism photography. P/S cameras are just for that, capturing a memory.

But as far as real art that is true art, film is the only way to go. And darkroom
all the better. I think art should be "Earthy", and humanly done by actual work
and imagination.

I really believe there should be some level of differenciation in everyone's digital
thinking about it. Try to, in your own mental capabilities, scope yourself a much
grander overall picture of photography and all of it's involvements.

Yet, I scan film to digital because I am too financially strapped to own a
darkroom. And that is because of health problems.

--
})))* Giant_Alex
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
Old August 27th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:25:25 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

In message , Jürgen Exner
writes
"RoushPhotoOnline.com" wrote:
Digital Images have allowed us to view first generation files,

I repectfully disagree.

First of all you cannot view RAW sensor data.

Yes you can,. I use my RAW processor for that. I can view the RAW data
in the RAW processor. Then after I have made changes I can process it
into a JPG, TIFF PNG etc at various standards of resolution, size etc.

You're right, you can view the RAW sensor data. But it won't look
like a picture you're used to seeing. Probably the best way to view
it is just hex data. If you try to visualize it without converting it
into somethine else, you'll be very dissapointed. Your RAW processor
converts the RAW sensor data into something you can see that looks
like a picture. *THAT* is 2nd generation and different RAW processors
might make different looking images from the RAW sensor data.

They need to be processed
into some picture format, very often JPEG. So your JPEG file is already
second generation.

No the resultant JPEG/TIFF/PNG is second generation. However I get to
chose the parameters far more than you can in a dark room.

You can also choose parameters even just for viewing the RAW data
without saving it as a JPEG, TIFF, etc.

Steve
Old August 28th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

Bob wrote on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:03:29 -0400:

Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO,
the current crop of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at
least color print film. (Remember grain? I was never satisfied
with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old August 28th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"James Silverton" wrote:

Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?

Yes. I don't know about cameras in the inferior subminiature 35mm format,
but most of "the usual suspscts" are still producing medium format film
cameras: Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Alpa, Horseman. Fujifilm has
announced the first new folding camera in 25 years for release this fall.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 28th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote:
Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?

Yes. I don't know about cameras in the inferior subminiature 35mm format,

Don't get snotty! yes you can get 35mm film too... easier than 120 for
that matter.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.