Canon 50D Specs

Old August 23rd 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Kennedy McEwen

Default Canon 50D Specs

In article m, David
Nebenzahl writes
On 8/22/2008 12:56 PM the_niner_nation spake thus:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .

No Spam wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
uters.com...
On 8/22/2008 10:28 AM Annika1980 spake thus:

Full specs on the new 50D can be found here. Looks like a 40D with
slightly more megapixels.

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/0...fo-leaked-real

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup,
rec.photo.equipment.35mm, which is concerned with film cameras
that use 35mm film, not digital cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

What is FILM???

The charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film. The
post is on-topic.

it's definatly ON TOPIC..I have often shot 35mm with a DSLR.

No, you only think you have.

No I don't. I shoot with a 35mm sensor in a dSLR.

35mm is a film format.

It is also a digital sensor format. In both cases, the image is 36x24mm
+/- some tolerances which have never actually been defined for the film
medium, but are often provided with the camera, whether film or digital.

The DSLRs are 35mm camera look-alikes.

Some are, but that does not mean that ALL dSLRs are 35mm look-alikes.
--
Kennedy
Old August 23rd 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , No Spam says...

I guess
film will disappear within 5 years.

While that is a possibility, film will continue to exist for a while in
some niches. It will take some time for instance before we have the
digital equivalent of a large format camera.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 24th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Noons

No Spam wrote,on my timestamp of 23/08/2008 6:04 AM:

Good question, but I've got a better one: what is "digital"?

Ask me in a couple years when film is gone

Stop repeating yourself, that's an old one...
Old August 24th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Noons

SMS wrote,on my timestamp of 23/08/2008 5:31 AM:

The charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film. The post
is on-topic.

No it's not. The 50D is NOT a 35mm camera
nor does it have a 35mm size sensor.
Keep this crap in the digital groups
where it belongs!
Old August 24th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Noons

Alfred Molon wrote,on my timestamp of 24/08/2008 5:07 AM:
In article , No Spam says...
I guess
film will disappear within 5 years.

before it was 2, now it's 5....

dear me, pretty soon its gonna be forever!

While that is a possibility, film will continue to exist for a while in
some niches. It will take some time for instance before we have the
digital equivalent of a large format camera.

or even anything REMOTELY matching a medium format one:
http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/journal/20107727/

Old August 24th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
SMS

Maurice Blanchard wrote:
David, how about getting a life instead of playing the cop ?

BTW, do you know what is a killfile ?

I'm in one of my kill-file moods where I lose any interest in arguing
with trolls, net-cops, and obtuse posters, and simply add them to the
filters along with the usual subject words of premodded game consoles,
watches, jeans, shoes, make money on the internet, etc. It's amazing how
large the message filter log gets in just a few days.

One key thing in Thunderbird's news reader is to kill-file globally
rather than by individual newsgroup, as many of the problem posters are
posting on many different subjects in many different groups.

Old August 24th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Noons wrote:
SMS wrote,on my timestamp of 24/08/2008 11:12 AM:

The charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film. The
post is on-topic.

No it's not. The 50D is NOT a 35mm camera
nor does it have a 35mm size sensor.

Read the charter.

why don't you?

And what about the charter explicitly mentions the item
being discussed must have a 35mm sized sensor?
The Canon APS-C series cameras, Nikon DX series & the
equivalents from other brands, all possess a lens mount that
is derived from older 35mm film cameras. All are capable of
mounting the same lenses that would be used on their older
film cameras. All use the same flashguns, in many cases they
use the same remotes, etc. Canon, Nikon and soon Sony (and
bets are on for Pentax too) have digital cameras where the
sensor size is essentially the same as the usable area on a
standard frame of 35mm film. These cameras are most
definitely 35mm cameras, even though they don't use 35mm
film. In almost every respect, the smaller format cameras
are either identical to, similar to, or derived from, 35mm
film and/or digital counterparts.

Considering the charter of rpe35 does not mention the word
"film", but simply mentions 35mm equipment, I personally
consider the discussion of these smaller format cameras to
be totally on-topic. Judging by the proportion of posts that
discuss these cameras, vs the number of complainers, it
would appear my view is in the majority.

Discussion of MF format cameras would be off-topic, and
there are no surprises that MF format is rarely discussed in
rpe35 except where comparing it to 35mm. When you compare a
typical MF format camera to a 35mm camera you will see very
little in common. In fact I would say there are more
similarities between small-format DSLR and 35mm FSLR, than
there are between MF FSLR and 35mm FSLR.

The life of a newsgroup can and will take different courses
as society progresses. Bear in mind that these charters were
prepared 13 years ago, and a hell of a lot has changed since
then. Unless you want rpe35 to wither and die, this sort of
thing should be allowed to be discussed.
Old August 24th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Noons says...
SMS wrote,on my timestamp of 23/08/2008 5:31 AM:

The charter for rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film. The post
is on-topic.

No it's not. The 50D is NOT a 35mm camera
nor does it have a 35mm size sensor.
Keep this crap in the digital groups
where it belongs!

As somebody else wrote, the charter also mentions half-frame cameras and
cameras with an APS-C sized sensor fall in this category.
--

Alfred Molon