Tools or Toys for Little Boys?

Old August 30th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

Default Tools or Toys for Little Boys?

Social adoption of technological change takes place for one of two reason...

1 – A need is determined and someone then finds a way to fulfill it

2 – A new technology evolves and people then discover what can be done with it

I believe that we are at a point in time where a profound change is about
to take place in the photographic industry. It is being driven not by user
demand, but by the inevitable convergence of a number of required
technologies. In combination, and when a certain nexus is reached, they
will allow the creation of a new type of photographic instrument which
will radically change the way photographers and film makers work.

. . .

Real Photographers Don't Need High Speed

I can see it now. No sooner will this essay be online than someone on one
of the forums will lament how cameras such as what I've described will
be the work of the devil, because real photographers wait for the moment
of peak action and then take the one shot that captures it best.
Machine-gunning in the hope of getting the decisive moment will damn
photographers that use them to hell, or at least lead to scorn from ones peer.

OK, fine – whatever. But trust me – people who have to make their livings
by capturing action photographs don't give a rats derier what those forum
folks think. They've got an editor waiting and deadlines to meet, and if
30 -100 FPS gets the shot, then it's the ticket. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

. . .

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vergence.shtml

Old August 31st 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
saycheez

The only camera so far that fits what you describe is the Casio.
EVF cameras will eventually supplant optical viewfinders except for
specialized uses. In part that is because young people who will upgrade to
better cameras are used to the EVF of their point and shoot as the standard
paradigm. They will drive the future market and hence design of cameras
rather than what is technically superior.
This is comparable to the vast number of photographers who do not think a
camera can be any good if it does not have the form factor and image capture
area of a 1935 Exacta, which is why dSLRs are still the SUV sized behemoths
they do not need to be.
With the D90 and the minimal difficulty of extracting a hi-def video quality
image out of the lowest tier P&S sensor it would appear that the days of the
stand alone video camera are as doomed as film and videotape.
What most consumers would like to see is a combo video/still camera that has
the form factor of a small video camera and the still image quality of a
dSLR.
One to two more years . . .

Old August 31st 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:07:59 -0700, saycheez wrote:

The only camera so far that fits what you describe is the Casio.

Nooo. If you followed the link to the article/essay you would
have seen that the Casio is one of the cameras mentioned. Several
RED models (One, Scarlet, Epic) were described, and they're all far
more capable than the EX-F1 (not all are yet available), but also
adding that they're also more expensive would be an understatement.
That article also has a link to an earlier review of the Casio. It
shows a very interesting camera that (for those who've followed
another thread referring to the D90's "limited" 720p output) can
produce 720p or 1080i video. Here's a snippet from that other page:

Now of course the EX-F1 is no substitute for a regular camcorder
for the more serious worker – I'm not suggesting that. But I can
say that for the casual video shooter working in HD, the results are
acceptable. (I did not work in 1080I as I found that my Macbook Pro
wasn't up to the task, and would drop frames. It also seemed to me
that for my uses 720P was more than adequate as well as easier to
work with in Final Cut. Another advantage of the Casio over an
AVCHD camcorders is that the files do not need any form of
conversion. They can be read directly by the latest version of Quicktime.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sio-exf1.shtml
and
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vergence.shtml

Old September 1st 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:30:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

*http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vergence.shtml

Does this mean the "RED One" will take over where DSLRs have left off?

Why not read the L-L essay and see what it had to say about that?
There's more to RED than just that One.

Old September 1st 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

All this is probably on the way eventually, but it is going to take time. I
presently shoot video on a Panasonic 2/3" pro HD P2 videocamera. The body
alone is about $25,000 US. The sensors (3 CMOS) are noisy as hell, a big
step backward from the latest SD cams, and this is at 1080 pixels. Grab a
frame and try to make it a still and sorry, but no contest.

I also disagree about the imminent demise of optical viewfinders. I have
been working with top-end video EVFs for over 20 years, and they are hardly
better now than then. There are no color EVFs even on the most expensive
video cams: we still use monochrome CRTs because it is just too hard to
focus accurately with all those little LCD dots. The latest HD EVF suffers
enormously from motion artifacts: it is impossible to focus accurately on
moving objects.

I keep seeing people with no experience touting EVFs because you can enlarge
parts of the image for critical focus. I've got news for you: that only
works if you have the camera on a tripod and all the time in the world. Even
at 1080 focus becomes critical and one of the major bitches of all HD
cameramen is the difficulty of accurate focus with present viewfinders.

Yes, it is coming. Maybe in 10-20 years, certainly not in the next few.

Toby
"Rich" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 10:44 pm, ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:30:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vergence.shtml

Does this mean the "RED One" will take over where DSLRs have left off?

Why not read the L-L essay and see what it had to say about that?
There's more to RED than just that One.

The idea that video would replace still photography came up last
year. It would certainly save money. Instead of magazines employing
photographers at a (for e.g.) football game, you could station remote
video cameras all over and run them constantly, they have a computer
sort through the images with instructions to look for specific things
that are truly publishable.